Ulfheathen

Ulfheathen accepts a random rainbow dragon challenge! x2

I decided to join in on the fun. I selected Ebonwrath as my dragon. then rolled my colors.

rainbowdragon.jpg.b2f4fa735afbeefd39288e78e1e04cf9.jpg

Pure Black, Cloudy Grey, Pure White

Well interesting but not very colorful. I will go with it but having never painted anything a monotone grey-scale any suggestions or advice.

I'm going to need something to switch off with to prevent eye strain. So back to the boxes of bone to find another dragon. Kryphrixis is the first one I find so he'll be my second dragon. Roll for colors gets me.

rainbowdragon2.jpg.9db085af9046cbd71f1663246c70ec86.jpg

Marine Teal, Clotted Red, Violet Red

That's better and should make for a good looking dragon. Don't have any of those paint colors Yay an excuse to place an order for more paint. While I wait for a few days for my order to arrive i can prepare both dragons and get started on Ebonwrath.

Both dragons will be painted as a 3*** challenge.

• Like 8

Ulfheathen for your monochromatic dragon Ebonwrath google some of the famous Film Noir images to see how subtle and magnificent these three non color colors can be executed. Also source Edward Gorey illustrations for ideas. Many of the techniques used by engravers and etchers can be uses on your dragon to enhance the DULL LOL lot of your colors. Dots, crosshatching, dashes even raised or pitted circles. Gradations or washes also can serve as a base to add detail on top of.  Such as starting at the tip of the wings especially if the end in talons or claws with pure bright white and then grating to the body to darkest black.

• Like 6

Rhonda Bender has a few of the investigator minis on Reaper store as monochromatic. They're lovely. I think if you search "noir" you'll find them. 

Welcome to the challenge! About to get you on the WIP list!

• Like 2

Well, as a Black Dragon, your Ebonwrath will be very... black. I look forward to seeing how you work with the limited color palette, but I think it'll turn out fine. Good idea if slightly crazy taking on the second dragon at the same time - at least you'll get a color break!

• Like 2

Dragons assembled and primed with liners.

20170919_142137.jpg.b51e3ee88715601b9a39d80e74fdc56d.jpg

20170919_142105.jpg.f4dc15bb5a4e6c983b2208851172823c.jpg

Not sure what I'm going to do with the bases yet, maybe something will come to me as the dragons take shape. Paints for Kryphrixis should arrive soon possibly tomorrow. So on to base coating Ebonwrath.

• Like 7

Question - What did you use for a base for Ebonwrath? Mine likes to fall over, so I'm going to need a nice rectangle like that to build off of eventually..

6 minutes ago, eldamir said:

Question - What did you use for a base for Ebonwrath? Mine likes to fall over, so I'm going to need a nice rectangle like that to build off of eventually..

it is a Last Stand Convertibles 50mm x 100mm Chariot Base.

• Like 1