SamuraiJack

Live
Mini-Dungeon Tome for 5th Edition or Pathfinder RPG

24 posts in this topic

About this project

Over 100 adventures for 5th Edition & Pathfinder RPG! 

29d24a99d2155694a3d54aaf3f498ddd_origina

dd27ccdc2d7e4760540465ca23867cb6_origina

df55b5617455975714fe2a11f16141fe_origina

Mini-Dungeons are two-page adventures for 5th Edition or Pathfinder RPG which are setting agnostic and are easily inserted anywhere in your campaign. These grab-and-go adventures are great when you need something in a pinch! This tome contains 100+ adventures spanning over 200 pages (more with stretch goals)!

76fa3c21a9edf2b9ec197c8abbce8a35_origina

4047767438291a00f61d3e3194f6e853_origina

967a77d83ec28ccb677792dbe396d6bd_origina

63a2d61562885ee406f6d387fb1c72f6_origina

0a465ee4d9c7a1865c2427b222a11b1a_origina

Our goal with this project is to consolidate all our published Mini-Dungeons into a complete hardcover volume published as one book for 5th Edition and one book for Pathfinder RPG.

The layout will be completely redone from the ground up and new stationary backgrounds, graphic effects, and artwork incorporated. Finally, pending stretch goals–we'll add more content and wrap this all into a single, easy to use volume with reference tables, monster glossary, and more. With additional stretch goals we hope to add special guest authors, new artwork, and a gorgeous cover to this hardback book. 

We're starting this project with 100 adventures and 200 pages; each Mini-Dungeon Stretch Goal increases the book by 2 pages, so let's get rolling and see just how big we can make the Mini-Dungeon Tome!

d00d81335c92bee5c2a645afcc594049_origina

1 person likes this

That's a neat idea, but I hate the phrase "setting agnostic"

Agnostic has a meaning. And the meaning isn't "setting independent" which is how they use it. It means indeterminate or unknowable. 

2 people like this

I noticed they have high-res digital copies of all the maps for use in virtual table-tops as an add-on.  Yes, please!  Even if I don't wind up using the adventures as published, getting a hundred canned-and-ready-to-go maps is going to be SUPER useful.

1 person likes this

I like the idea of this. Two pages and the maps we see so far really seem like those dungeons could be wrapped up in one session. Other than a lot of "one-shots" that take more like 3-5 sessions.

Seems interesting.

It looks interesting, but I'd like to see one of the adventures before putting any money down on it. I ended up hating the writing on the last premade adventure I did, and I want to make sure the dungeons are up to my expectations before paying so much. 

1 person likes this

It's a pretty neat idea, but it seems awfully expensive. 84USD (102CAD) shipped to Canada. By comparison, I preordered Tomb of Annihilation from amazon. It arrives tomorrow, 256 pages for $39.57. I remember in the days of 3e when people bought third party supplements because they cost less than official items.

That $9 sampler pledge level should just be made available free on the kickstarter page so people can judge the content of the 5 mini adventures. If they were good, I'm sure it would generate more interest.

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, Suden said:

It's a pretty neat idea, but it seems awfully expensive. 84USD (102CAD) shipped to Canada. By comparison, I preordered Tomb of Annihilation from amazon. It arrives tomorrow, 256 pages for $39.57. I remember in the days of 3e when people bought third party supplements because they cost less than official items.

That $9 sampler pledge level should just be made available free on the kickstarter page so people can judge the content of the 5 mini adventures. If they were good, I'm sure it would generate more interest.

I agree. I was surprised to see the $60 didn't even include US! shipping. But I am still getting it. The creators told me that apparently they have other mini dungeons available through various sites for $0.99 each. AdventureAweek.com (or something like that) was one of the examples. But they should point to one of those on the campaign page, or offer a sample adventure somewhere for free. Even if it was only one level 1 dungeon, I think it would really help.

2 people like this

On these sort of items I always go for the PDF only version.  I can view it on my tablet at the table.  And I can print out the few pages I might need to have them prepared.

4 people like this

6 minutes ago, Harrek said:

On these sort of items I always go for the PDF only version.  I can view it on my tablet at the table.  And I can print out the few pages I might need to have them prepared.

Meanwhile, I find the PDF too cumbersome to paw through when I'm indecisive, so I get a physical version. I also disallow unnecessary electronics at my table, if I can.

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Meanwhile, I find the PDF too cumbersome to paw through when I'm indecisive, so I get a physical version. I also disallow unnecessary electronics at my table, if I can.

My iPad running hero lab with all the pathfinder books at my fingertips and searchable makes it very necessary on my end.  Flipping through the PDF on the desktop ahead of time and noting a few places isn't all that difficult either.  And stacking more books on the table takes more room I think!

1 person likes this

Just now, Harrek said:

My iPad running hero lab with all the pathfinder books at my fingertips and searchable makes it very necessary on my end.  Flipping through the PDF on the desktop ahead of time and noting a few places isn't all that difficult either.  And stacking more books on the table takes more room I think!

I do hand written planning for the most part. Different play styles - I play 5E, so I only have 3 books I regularly go through atm: DMG, MM, and Volos. I tend to have an idea in mind for the monsters, so I don't usually need to have any of them at the table. I like to flip through the MM and Volos on my couch for encounter ideas. To each his own, I guess.

3 people like this

9 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I do hand written planning for the most part. Different play styles - I play 5E, so I only have 3 books I regularly go through atm: DMG, MM, and Volos. I tend to have an idea in mind for the monsters, so I don't usually need to have any of them at the table. I like to flip through the MM and Volos on my couch for encounter ideas. To each his own, I guess.

Oh it's definitely personal preference, can't argue with that.  But with Pathfinder there are far more books of course.  And I guess I found it far easier to flip through a PDF on a much lighter tablet than keep even a few books at hand to do so.  And the tablet can pretty much go anywhere with me for me to continue making notes and looking.  I also have all my notes in an app that is shared among all of my computers (phone, table, desktop, laptop, etc).  So that is where I plan and make my notes.  As for monsters, most of my pathfinder encounters are not simply a few monsters.  But enemy characters or monsters with class levels to mix things up and keep the players guessing.  So it's not a matter of just having a few monsters in mind.  Class levels on orcs can make them a challenge for higher levels!

Oh and edited to say that my game has 8 PCs.  So keeping well organized is really critical to keep things moving.

Edited by Harrek
2 people like this

I like books a lot. I have all my 5e books as hardcovers, and they are pretty. But when I lay in bed and want to read up on something (bc for some reason I always start to get burning questions about monsters, class mechanics or magic items when I should be sleeping) I prefer the much lighter Ipad. Even more so with the non-WoTC publications like Tome of Beasts, which is even heavier.

And, added bonus, as an European I won't be paying absurd shipping for one book.

2 people like this

Just now, Harrek said:

Oh it's definitely personal preference, can't argue with that.  But with Pathfinder there are far more books of course.  And I guess I found it far easier to flip through a PDF on a much lighter tablet than keep even a few books at hand to do so.  And the tablet can pretty much go anywhere with me for me to continue making notes and looking.  I also have all my notes in an app that is shared among all of my computers (phone, table, desktop, laptop, etc).  So that is where I plan and make my notes.  As for monsters, most of my pathfinder encounters are not simply a few monsters.  But enemy characters or monsters with class levels to mix things up and keep the players guessing.  So it's not a matter of just having a few monsters in mind.  Class levels on orcs can make them a challenge for higher levels!

That's an idea...you just told me how I can fix up some of my undead to be more interesting without just having to mob them at 7th level or so. I'm playing 5E because I have several new players, and also because I'm a relatively new DM. I also don't like PDF versions for ereading, as I don't have a non-amazon tablet. 

3 people like this

On 9/19/2017 at 11:48 AM, Reaperbryan said:

That's a neat idea, but I hate the phrase "setting agnostic"

Agnostic has a meaning. And the meaning isn't "setting independent" which is how they use it. It means indeterminate or unknowable. 

It is not as common of usage as the religious-related definition, but this definition is from Dictionary.com:

4. (especially of digital technology) not limited or dedicated to a particular device, system, etc. (often used in combination):platform agnostic software.

I have also heard it in education relating to subject areas: "content agnostic" would mean something that applies no matter the content area.

Edited by Talae
2 people like this