SamuraiJack

Funded
Everlasting: the Best Wet Palette

33 posts in this topic

After reading Meg's review and thinking about it for the day, I decided to cancel my pledge. My Masterson's palette with parchment paper and the sponge provided from Masterson's is more than sufficient. This one is very "pretty" and seems functional, but not worth the $40-$50 to me just to have something that looks cooler and does the exact same thing as what I've been using for a number of years now.

8 people like this

Glad to get everyone's feedback on this.  I've been seeing them build up on boardgamegeek, but I've got a Masterson's pallette and I honestly don't think I need a second one, although of course things on Kickstarter always look more shiny.

4 people like this

If they really did have an everlasting membrane as originally planned, there would be more value.

At this point, I think that it's mostly the convenience factor of a pre-made wet palette with 100-200 precut pieces of parchment.  The everlasting palette is just like the other wet palettes out there in that regard: you're paying for convenience for the most part.  

If the convenience makes it worthwhile over a homemade or existing solution, backing makes sense.  If not, then not so much.  The little well palette is a nice to have addition.

Ron

1 person likes this

I think it's a good KS for someone without a wet palette or been making them up.  I know it's a pain making them each time.  Once you stop doing that each time you'll be more happy I think.  I also have the need for a cover so the cats don't take an interest also!  I also just pulled out a ruler and realized the big one is gigantic!  Much too large for my paint area.  So no way I pledge for that at all.  So be sure you know what sizes you are really looking at.  The smaller one is basically the same size as the Masterson wet palettes. 

1 person likes this

Masterson makes several sizes of wet palette. The largest at Blick is 15½" x 11½" (39 x 29 cm), which is almost twice the area of the larger one of these. That one runs just over $20.

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend this product for a new painter for the reasons noted above. YMMV.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Masterson makes several sizes of wet palette. The largest at Blick is 15½" x 11½" (39 x 29 cm), which is almost twice the area of the larger one of these. That one runs just over $20.

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend this product for a new painter for the reasons noted above. YMMV.

My Masterson is the smaller one.  That would be too large again for my desktop.  I only brought up sizes so that people actually take a look and make an informed decision.

Are you saying a new painter should not use a wet palette?  Or just not get this one?

37 minutes ago, Harrek said:

My Masterson is the smaller one.  That would be too large again for my desktop.  I only brought up sizes so that people actually take a look and make an informed decision.

Are you saying a new painter should not use a wet palette?  Or just not get this one?

I recommend wet palettes, especially in dry Colorado. I wouldn't recommend this one, based on price and the reports of how the paper works.

The chamois seems like a good choice and the palette itself, if the production models work the way they claim they will work, seem decent enough, but the price looks too high to me.

I'm not saying it's a bad palette, just that I wouldn't recommend it, especially to a new painter.

3 people like this

28 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I recommend wet palettes, especially in dry Colorado. I wouldn't recommend this one, based on price and the reports of how the paper works.

The chamois seems like a good choice and the palette itself, if the production models work the way they claim they will work, seem decent enough, but the price looks too high to me.

I'm not saying it's a bad palette, just that I wouldn't recommend it, especially to a new painter.

Got it!  I think I feel the same way.  The Masterson one is cheap and a great place to start.  Also easy to get!

Although the reviews I have seen on the paper seem to think it works well.  With the Masterson I seem to find many people having problems with their paper.  But that is easy solved by using baking parchment paper.  My wife is a baker, so plenty of rolls of that around here.

3 people like this

Just now, Harrek said:

Got it!  I think I feel the same way.  The Masterson one is cheap and a great place to start.  Also easy to get!

Although the reviews I have seen on the paper seem to think it works well.  With the Masterson I seem to find many people having problems with their paper.  But that is easy solved by using baking parchment paper.  My wife is a baker, so plenty of rolls of that around here.

Yeah, I use baking parchment, too. It's cheap, works great, and I don't feel bad about trashing it when it's old or full of paint splotches.

I wonder whether the Masterson palette paper would make good paper airplanes?

::D:

2 people like this

11 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

10 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Yeah, I use baking parchment, too. It's cheap, works great, and I don't feel bad about trashing it when it's old or full of paint splotches.

I wonder whether the Masterson palette paper would make good paper airplanes?

::D:

Yeah being in Colorado I quickly found that a wet palette is almost a must!

I got my Masterson's Sta-Wet Palette and like 50 sheet of the palette paper for $10 on eBay ($8 of that was for shipping...ridiculous).  You can find them for cheap and they work great!

3 people like this

So glad Doug and SirLarpsaLot told me to get a wet palette. How the heck did I paint before?

6 people like this

I asked for a wet pallet as a gift and received the big Masterson one.  It is big...

But not the best option for all paints and techniques.  My porcelain well still sees plenty of use.

3 people like this

I've not been satisfied with the wet palettes I've made for myself. I have been unable to find something wide and shallow enough with a shallow lid for what I'm looking for. The Masterson palette is too flimsy for me to be comfortable traveling with it. The magnetic well add-on piece looks pretty handy. I almost always end up with a small ceramic palette on the table anyway when I use the wet palette. Both of these items in one kit, hopefully sturday enough for travel use, it's worth checking out.

For my home built palettes, I use a sham-wow for the sponge and a few strands of copper wire underneath that  to stop the mold. That part works pretty well for me. It's the box and portability that I'm looking for here.

7 people like this

16 hours ago, Auberon said:

I asked for a wet pallet as a gift and received the big Masterson one.  It is big...

But not the best option for all paints and techniques.  My porcelain well still sees plenty of use.

Great point!  I use my wet palette a lot!  But for somethings I still use my dry palette which is a porcelain tile

1 person likes this

I have to clean my desk. There's not enough room for the wet palette and I'm resorting to the aluminum foil one now. ::P:

EDIT: Tubo on BoW took a closer look at the creators and has this to say : http://www.beastsofwar.com/groups/news-rumors/forum/topic/ks-live-everlasting-wet-palette/?topic_page=6&num=15#post-215648

Edited by ced1106
3 people like this