Kuro Cleanbrush

Mina Splinterheart (ReaperCon Exclusive)

26 posts in this topic

Wow! Awesome work.  I really like the mix of Raggy and Dressy you have going on this mini.

1 person likes this

She's awesome! 

Question! What methodology do you use to do the striped pants like that? Those are very uniformly spaced stripes and still shaded so darn well! 

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Cyradis said:

She's awesome! 

Question! What methodology do you use to do the striped pants like that? Those are very uniformly spaced stripes and still shaded so darn well! 

Thanks!  ::):  The way I did her pants was to first paint them their off-white base color and shade and highlight that.  Then, once the pants were finished in that way, I freehanded the lines with a very dark red.  Once the lines were in place, I went back over the portions of the lines that were to be lighter with increasingly bright reds until I felt that the stripes were suitably highlighted too.  The big thing to keep in mind is that, while the stripes look fairly uniform, there is actually quite a lot of error there.  I have been happy to discover that textures and simple patterns are actually quite forgiving to paint!  I'm not sure if our eyes just "filter" a little based on what we expect to see or what, but I do know that it has been so freeing to realize that I can just have fun with some of these patterns without worrying about making them 100% even!

14 people like this

Thanks for the pointers! I'll have to test this out soon ::D:

1 person likes this

I love this. I really enjoy your painting style. It's not a way I would ever think to paint, but I love looking at it. Thanks for sharing your work, as always. 

1 person likes this

So pretty! This, and the pirate I did with layer up, makes me want to do more dark skinned figures - I never think to use this skin tone! 

2 people like this

Absolutely amazing!  You are truly a hero to me! I know I can't achieve your level but I hope to one get as close as possible!

I look forward to seeing your next miniature.

Oh, one question.  Is the base made just using some Green Stuff and carving it to look like wood planks?

Edited by NecroMancer
1 person likes this

Great job! There is a lot to like on this mini. My particular highlights are the blades and gold tones. I also love the roughed up black leather.

1 person likes this

FANTASTIC! The Pirate Lass is a BEAUTIFUL creation, WONDERFULLY painted & based. Your choice of colors is GLORIOUSVERY WELL DONE!

1 person likes this

Aaaarrrr!!!! That's a pretty Lass!!!

1 person likes this

She looks amazing! I like how you pulled out all the little details from her garment.

1 person likes this

Ahoy matey!  Right on time for talk like a pirate day's month!  She's adorable!!  Great work on the skin- I think the highlights work well and it still retains warmth. It's hard to keep that sometimes with highlighting.  Awesome work!!

2 people like this

Very very nice paint job! Excellent the colorful clothes is fitting for a pirate!

Gonna read/watch it more often, thx for the additionele painting lesson! 

Grtzz 

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By knarthex
      Whilst sitting in class with Bob and Julie, they asked us what we would like to see taught next year..
      Then I was asked if I could post it on the forums...
      So here you go....
      Try to keep it real.....
    • By knarthex
      See you all soon in TX!
    • By knarthex
      So, The very first mini I pulled out of the BOGW when I got it, was a Malifaux mini....
      As soon as I saw it, I knew how I had to paint it!
      So I give you @Sylverthorne the Girlblin!

Hope you like it!!!!!!

George

Abbreviated WIP here
      (Didn't have time to record everything with the need to get it done for Wednesday.....)
    • By Pegazus
      Hey, @ub3r_n3rd, here's the figure that I managed to finish. The top clear coat makes it a bit shiny, but I've got it under harsh lights.

With the very zoomed in picture I'm not exactly happy with the shading on the right hand side where it transitions from light to dark in the middle fold, but that was vexing me for a long time. It's the way I want it to look, but I'm not sure everybody's eye will interpret the shape that I wanted to illustrate. There's also a woodgrain painted on the bow, but it is very subtle and doesn't look to show up here. I guess that should have been something a bit more stark.

Really feel that she's missing an arrow in her hand, since she seems to want to be nocking an arrow, but there's nothing there. Need to work on my eyes for the next figure, but that's a common refrain.
    • By Ironhammer
      Right, so I finally decided to do a WiP on this guy, mainly in the hopes to get some good feedback on the painting process.  This will be one of my Reapercon (in the Open category, being as it is a scratchbuild). 

First off, some older pics going back a few months, showing where I started from.  I started by sculpting a few faces and picked one that I thought would do the job.  Then I built a basic armature, established a pose and then began fleshing it out.

I'm afraid I didn't get any more WiP shots of the sculpting after this, so on to the finished figure (pre painting that is).

Here is the final figure prior to painting, complete with scenic base.

And because I really would like to show off all the work that went into it, here are a lot of detail shots of the various elements.  The discarded helmet was a little bit of a trick, as I wanted it to actually be hollow.  I dealt with it by sculpting the basic shape on the end of another tool, then carefully pulling it off and carving out the face plate and widening the rest of the interior.  The backpack and pistol frame were stacked sheet styrene, with added details in greenstuff and wire.  The base was just a couple of cutup corks with greenstuff textured over it.

Next up is painting.  Digging around online for inspiration I came across this image, which is supposedly of a 1950s era US Navy pressure suit.  I liked the olive drab and beige combination (though I may skip the white helmet), and decided I would go with something similar, but with warmer colors. 

The palette I wound up choosing for the basic flight suit is below.  For some reason the special edition colors have become some of my favorites.  Carnival Purple was a special edition paint for Reapercon '13 (I think), and has become one of my go to colors for shadowing, while Pumpkin Orange has become another one of my mainstays. 

Here is the figure after the first round of painting.  I went in with the intention of giving the suit a much ruddier look that was the case in the prototype (hence the Pumpkin Orange), but tn the end the orange really dominated the palette (which doesn't really bother me, so long as the end result looks good), The figure was primarily bascoated with black primer, while the head was done in white.  I don't recall exactly how much time it took me to get from there to what you see below, but I think it was close to two hours or so.

Whatcha' think so far?  I've always been better with a hobby knife than a paint brush, and this year I'm really anxious to up my game a bit.  Any and all input is welcome!

• Who's Online   40 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)