Kuro Cleanbrush

Mina Splinterheart (ReaperCon Exclusive)

She's awesome! 

Question! What methodology do you use to do the striped pants like that? Those are very uniformly spaced stripes and still shaded so darn well! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cyradis said:

She's awesome! 

Question! What methodology do you use to do the striped pants like that? Those are very uniformly spaced stripes and still shaded so darn well! 

Thanks!  ::):  The way I did her pants was to first paint them their off-white base color and shade and highlight that.  Then, once the pants were finished in that way, I freehanded the lines with a very dark red.  Once the lines were in place, I went back over the portions of the lines that were to be lighter with increasingly bright reds until I felt that the stripes were suitably highlighted too.  The big thing to keep in mind is that, while the stripes look fairly uniform, there is actually quite a lot of error there.  I have been happy to discover that textures and simple patterns are actually quite forgiving to paint!  I'm not sure if our eyes just "filter" a little based on what we expect to see or what, but I do know that it has been so freeing to realize that I can just have fun with some of these patterns without worrying about making them 100% even!

• Like 15

I love this. I really enjoy your painting style. It's not a way I would ever think to paint, but I love looking at it. Thanks for sharing your work, as always. 

• Like 1

Absolutely amazing!  You are truly a hero to me! I know I can't achieve your level but I hope to one get as close as possible!

I look forward to seeing your next miniature.

Oh, one question.  Is the base made just using some Green Stuff and carving it to look like wood planks?

Edited by NecroMancer
  • Like 1

Great job! There is a lot to like on this mini. My particular highlights are the blades and gold tones. I also love the roughed up black leather.

• Like 1

FANTASTIC! The Pirate Lass is a BEAUTIFUL creation, WONDERFULLY painted & based. Your choice of colors is GLORIOUSVERY WELL DONE!

• Like 1

Ahoy matey!  Right on time for talk like a pirate day's month!  She's adorable!!  Great work on the skin- I think the highlights work well and it still retains warmth. It's hard to keep that sometimes with highlighting.  Awesome work!!

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Heisler
      Okay, we do have some manufacturer awards for the Reaper Con 2018 Painting Competition. This is what I know so far:
      Dark Sword: 
      Dark Sword Diorama Category:

$150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Diorama
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Diorama

Dark Sword Single Miniature Category:

$150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Single Miniature
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Single Miniature

Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms Anthropomorphic Animals Open Category:
      Can be either a single miniature or a diorama - simply carving out a separate category for our Critter Kingdoms minis.
      $150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms

Dark Sword Young Painter Category (Age 13 and under):
      Can be either a single miniature or a diorama - simply carving out a separate category for our young painters.

$100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for best overall Dark Sword Young Painter
      $50 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Young Painter

The Dark Sword Miniatures Manufacturer Awards are open to all painters. To be eligible for the prize support listed, the entries must be new entries, never before posted online or entered into any other painting competitions. In addition, no entries can be commissions from Dark Sword Miniatures for painted studio models. This means Dark Sword studio painters can enter if they so desire, but their entries must be brand new creations not commissioned from Dark Sword and must also adhere to the eligibility requirements above.

Kabuki - 300 Euro Prize for the best Kabuki Miniature, regardless of category, in the painting competition. We are looking for a way to involve Rodolfo in the judging this year.

Bombshell Miniatures
      Bombshell Miniatures presents the 2018 Golden Maelee Awards. This is a Sponsored Award section of the annual Reaper Master Series Open Painting Contest. Entries will be awarded 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place Maelee trophies.

Entries will need to feature at least one or more Bombshell Miniatures as the prominent subject. This can be anything from Babes, Sidekicks, Kritterkins, to robots, or busts. Each entry will be judged on its own merit of painting execution, presentation, and skill.

Entries from artists who have been professionally commissioned by Bombshell Miniatures are ineligible.

Scale 75
      Best Scale 75 75MM or Bust
               $50.00 Coupon to our web store. 

Best Smog Rider (CHIBI)
               $50.00 Coupon to our web store.

Bet Scale 75 piece overall piece by a junior
               Smog Rider Starter set.

Talon Games

Best Individual CAV Model: Any single-model figure.

Best CAV "Squad": This category allows for multiple models (minimum four
      models) as part of a cohesive squad.

Best CAV Diorama: This category covers models with a scenic base where the
      entry is telling a story to the viewer and may include multiple models.

Each category winner will receive a $100 Talon Games Gift Certificate and a
      Trophy.

This first post in the thread will be updated with other manufacturers as we receive them.
    • By Aard_Rinn
      So, how does one go about finding folks who are looking to split a room for the con? I'm gonna be able to go this year, and the forum description said this is the place to do it, but I dont see a relevant thread. Let me know if there's a better place, I guess?

While it wouldnt be the first con I've spent sleeping in the bushes outside the convention center, Texas sounds hotter than CT, so I am currently looking to share, if anyone has a free corner they're looking to fill. So, let me know and we can talk money, I guess? Bonus points if you're flying in and we can carpool to and from together - I pack light and ship well! :)
    • By MissMelons
      This is pretty done besides the jewelry I plan to sculpt on it. As my scultping is Meh, I'm calling this the final product. I did something different with the eyes as I didnt really want to give her human or dragon eyes so I did neither. 

I kind of like how they turned out considering she sat unpainted for weeks because I wasnt sure on what to do with the eyes!

• By Kev!
      Howdy,

Finally got around to her...

Thank you,
      Kev!
    • By JackMann
      I recently got my ReaperCon goodies from my convention buddy. Since I caught a cold right before coming home from Kuwait, this mini felt especially relatable to me.

I looked over Buglips' and Guindyloo's versions of the mini, and they informed how I went a bit. Guindyloo's eye in particular was something I wanted to try replicating. I think I did an okay job. I should have picked a lighter color of blue, though. The pupil doesn't really stand out from the iris. 

My tissue box's lines ended up not being quite as clean as I would've liked. I need to practice my freehand more.
  • Who's Online   27 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)