Harrek

Technology And Your Game

19 posts in this topic

There are three ways tech is used at our table.

1. PDF of Rules

2. GM uses Hero Labs to run encounters.

3. One or two players Skype in.  One from Texas (to Ohio)  The other because he drives for a living and will not travel 50 minutes one way to my place.

1 person likes this

I use a lot of digital stuff for preparation (when I can use my desktop monitor and keep a million tabs open) along with physical books. I get all my notes and so on into Evernote which I use as the adventure during the game. Players use spreadsheets or character creation tools for creating up to date character sheets. However, at the table its all physical, including printed character sheets, except for my Evernote notes. I rarely look up rules - either a player can do that while I'm juggling monsters or I'll just make a bench ruling and hit the books later so we do it right the 2nd time. Fortunately we don't have remote players (just irreconcilable scheduling BS).

When we played 4E I did use the Compendium and so on (they got integrated into my Evernote workflow). I'm curious if anyone has used the Beyond D&D online tools, which is the new 5E thing (I think from Curse). From what I see with SRD content its nice but it seems pretty expensive, and no credit for buying physical books from Wizards...

For me the most useful tools are online monster stats, character editors, and NPC/monster customizers. I also wish there was a decent easy-to-use and model-friendly map editor; DF actually has something like what I'm thinking of but it's not very good and hasn't been updated since KS2.

1 person likes this

We may end up going the Skype route for our paranormal romance game - Carrie wants to continue playing, but Rumsford to Westbrook is a bit too much of a commute for a four hour game.

The Auld Grump

On 9/21/2017 at 10:17 AM, Doug Sundseth said:

FWIW, one distant player, all distant players, or no distant players seem to work best. When there are multiple local and multiple distant players, communication becomes much more difficult.

Curiously, since this thread started, I've joined an online West Marches style campaign and it's been pretty fun. We use Discord for voice and asynchronous chat, a forum for notes and character sheets, and Roll20 for gameplay. I've had bad experiences with individuals trying to Skype in for a session, but all-online can be a lot of fun if you have the right tools.

1 person likes this