Jump to content

Dosani

Help please, problems with RP metallic paints

Recommended Posts

Hi, i am a slow painter, so even if i started some time ago, i am just paiting my first full body armor miniature (seelah paladin on bones). I bought several Reaper metallics and some also came with the learn to paint kit i bought too, and ALL of them have issues. First they tend to dry too fast even on wet pallete, also i stirred them with a drink stirrer, but still paiting with them is a pain , specially compared to the P3 metallics, which i bought some time ago as i heard very good things about them. Well my question is this, is it normal that the RP metallics have this bad coverage, and issues like drying too fast and horrible brushtrokes (i try to dilute them, but as always, water is an enemy of metallics , also try to spread small quantities of undiluted paint, also dont work), or its just a very bad batch? 

 

If so , how can i save them? They work, its just that they work bad IMO. If its not possible for me to save them, do you know if i can ask preplacements from Reaper? I wrote them some weeks ago but nobody answered me. This issue buggers me as i live in Bolivia south america, here Reaper is not available anywhere, i made my part importing them to my country, and they dont work so i am a sad panda :(

 

Thanks pals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I have the same issues with reaper’s metallic paints. I usually add flow improver to them to make them work better, but I much prefer Scale 75’s and P3’s metallic paint lines. I love all of Reaper’s non-metallic paints tho. 

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Maybe you could use a drying retarder?

 

 

I tried airbrush medium, flow  improver, also  medium (i believe that is the reaper brush on selaer so far, isnt it?), water, and even experimented with alcohol just for the sake of it, nothing works :( Either its too thick and dries too fast, making horrible brushstrokes, or its too diluted that have problems adhering properly, sometimes even lose its shine significantly. 

20 minutes ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

Honestly, I have the same issues with reaper’s metallic paints. I usually add flow improver to them to make them work better, but I much prefer Scale 75’s and P3’s metallic paint lines. I love all of Reaper’s non-metallic paints tho. 

 

But are they workable? For me its like a chore, as the p3 ones are way better IMO, just that i love the colours in the Reaper metallic line, especially the silvers, too bad that ones are the worst in my experience :( Here i am hoping there is a way to ask for replacements, but dont know if maybe this is a issue as a whole with the metallic line, or just a bad batch of paint, although its a little difficult to think about it, as even the metallics i got in a learn to paint set behave that way. I bought all from miniature giant store, but my other normal reaper paints are not problematic, not most of them at least.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the Bones line of metallics, but really hate the original MSP metallics.  It would help if you clarified which ones you are using.  For what it's worth, the Bones ones are quite similar to P3, which I also have.  

 

If you're looking for a super light silver color then you might have to look at Scale 75, since they have a much larger assortment of colors.  Either that or you could try Vallejo's Metal Medium, which is pure mica flakes that you could add to lighten another silver.  I know Vallejo is much easier to find in the US than Scale 75.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience with MSP metallics, particularly the white metal ones, is that they work fairly well when used thinly in multiple layers, but that they have very poor single-coat coverage. I now use either Scale75 or P3 metallics for most things, saving the MSP metallics for highlighting and shading, where the translucency is an advantage.

 

I haven't had a particular problem using the Reaper metallics on a wet palette, though they have less working time than most other paints. They seem to be fine for several hours on the palette, which is sufficient for most of what I want to do. (Note that I live at about 1600m MSL in a semi-arid area, so not the easiest place to keep paint live, but not quite the same as La Paz or El Alto.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dosani said:

 

I tried airbrush medium, flow  improver, also  medium (i believe that is the reaper brush on selaer so far, isnt it?), water, and even experimented with alcohol just for the sake of it, nothing works :( Either its too thick and dries too fast, making horrible brushstrokes, or its too diluted that have problems adhering properly, sometimes even lose its shine significantly. 

 

But are they workable? For me its like a chore, as the p3 ones are way better IMO, just that i love the colours in the Reaper metallic line, especially the silvers, too bad that ones are the worst in my experience :( Here i am hoping there is a way to ask for replacements, but dont know if maybe this is a issue as a whole with the metallic line, or just a bad batch of paint, although its a little difficult to think about it, as even the metallics i got in a learn to paint set behave that way. I bought all from miniature giant store, but my other normal reaper paints are not problematic, not most of them at least.

Yes, with flow improver they are workable for me. Otherwise I don’t use them without the flow improver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scale 75 metallics with a drop of water/flow improver/dry retardent mix is my go to.  They are amazing.  I also use Citadels metallic golds, they are some of the best i've found.  The RMS Bones line metallics are good as well, but the original RMS metallics I have always had trouble with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I really like the Bones line of metallics, but really hate the original MSP metallics.  It would help if you clarified which ones you are using.  For what it's worth, the Bones ones are quite similar to P3, which I also have.  

 

If you're looking for a super light silver color then you might have to look at Scale 75, since they have a much larger assortment of colors.  Either that or you could try Vallejo's Metal Medium, which is pure mica flakes that you could add to lighten another silver.  I know Vallejo is much easier to find in the US than Scale 75.  

 

Oh sorry, the ones i am using are Polished Silver 9054, Honed Steel 9053, Shadowed Steel 9052, Ancient Bronze 9049, Antique Gold 9050, New Gold 9051, Blackened Steel 9205, Tarnished Steel 9206, True Silver 9207, among others. I dont know i they are MSP colours, but they are in droper bottles.

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

My experience with MSP metallics, particularly the white metal ones, is that they work fairly well when used thinly in multiple layers, but that they have very poor single-coat coverage. I now use either Scale75 or P3 metallics for most things, saving the MSP metallics for highlighting and shading, where the translucency is an advantage.

 

I haven't had a particular problem using the Reaper metallics on a wet palette, though they have less working time than most other paints. They seem to be fine for several hours on the palette, which is sufficient for most of what I want to do. (Note that I live at about 1600m MSL in a semi-arid area, so not the easiest place to keep paint live, but not quite the same as La Paz or El Alto.

 

Thanks for the reference about La Paz, as its the capital city of my country :) but not to worry about that as i live in Santa Cruz, that is way below the altitude of La Paz, actually its a tropical city hehe, mostly like Brazil climate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have has success with Reaper's metallics, but they do tend to settle out on the pallet. I stir them frequently and this does seem to help the coverage and shiney-ness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dosani said:

 

Oh sorry, the ones i am using are Polished Silver 9054, Honed Steel 9053, Shadowed Steel 9052, Ancient Bronze 9049, Antique Gold 9050, New Gold 9051, Blackened Steel 9205, Tarnished Steel 9206, True Silver 9207, among others. I dont know i they are MSP colours, but they are in droper bottles.

 

 

The ones you listed are original MSP formula colors.  The Bones line metallic colors start with 09448 Dragon Copper and goes sequentially from there.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

 

The ones you listed are original MSP formula colors.  The Bones line metallic colors start with 09448 Dragon Copper and goes sequentially from there.  

 

Are you referring to the new BONES line of paints? I thought they were the same as the MSP and was different only in name. So that means that you also have problems with the MSP metallics? Does the new Bone paints have equivalent metallics that the MSP line?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I here Vallejo Air has very good metallics as well...  This probably doesn't help you though.

 

I have found many lines of metallics can be hit or miss.  Some of mine from Reaper are great others seem a little off but I have also had the same problem with P3 metallics as well.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Geoff Davis
      89012: Lem, Iconic Bard sculpted by Derek Schubert.  This guy was supposed to be a speed paint, but I got too interested in putting diamond patterns on his clothes. 
       

       

       

       
       
    • By Geoff Davis
      14465: Durin Dwarf Pathfinder Sgt sculpted by Tom Mason.  I never would have tried this blue and bronze colour scheme of my own choice, but one of the players in my D&D game requested it, and now I like it. 
       

       

       

    • By aku-chan
      Yet another new thread!
       
      (At some point I really should think about starting a blog, or whatever the cool kids do these days, instead of cluttering up the forum with my stuff.)
       

       
      While it's possibly a banning offence, I've gotta admit I don't particularly care for Sophie or her various minis, but this one really leapt out at me.
       
      I may have made things extra hard for myself by fully assembling everything, but she has little, dainty feet so I was never going to be able to pin her to a cork.
       

       
      Started with her skin (1:1 Rosy Skin/Beastly Brown > Flesh Wash > 1:1 Rosy Skin/Beastly Brown > 1:1:1 Rosy Skin/Light Skin/Beastly Brown), I was trying to give her a tan, but I don't think it's as simple as adding brown to the skin colour, however the colour I did end up with is rather nice.
      It's hard to see, but she also has (slightly googly) eyes, lip and eye makeup (1:1:1:2 Rosy Skin/Light Skin/Beastly Brown/Hexed Lichen) and eyebrows (Scarlett Red), I also basecoated her hair while I had the Scarlett Red out.
    • By Guindyloo
      I finished up this lovely lady last night. She was wonderfully sculpted by Bob Ridolfi. I really enjoyed the details on her and she was a lot of fun to paint. 
      I always mean to paint a Halloween figure before Halloween but am usually too busy to actually manage it. I got this figure while at Reapercon though and decided it was meant to be, so I put aside a couple of other things to make time for her. 
       

       

       

       

       
      I had a lot of technical issues with her due to my clumsiness - I dropped her THREE times which resulted in extensive repair work and having to reattach her to the pumpkin each time.  There’s no indentation or any other indication for how she’s meant to be attached to the pumpkin and assembly is not my strong suit so I struggled a bit with that part. The way I have her attached leaves her foot hanging past the base by a good bit so I’ll need to build the base up on a little bit of cork, but she looked the most correct to me this way. (She is currently still sitting on top of foam tape and the craft paint bottle that I used as a holder, I just painted them black for pictures.)
       
      I was asked over on facebook how I painted the wings, so I’ll copy that info over here as well:
      I basecoated with MSP Black Indigo. (That’s one of this year’s Reapercon swag bag paints. I think Nightmare Black would probably be fine to use in its place.) Then I layered up using paints from Nocturna’s Imperial Purple Set. They’re Vallejo paints made for Nocturna and I highly recommend both that set and the Crimson Red set. Both sets come with little painting guides and the purple one walks you through how to do both cold purples and warm purples. I went in the warm purple direction starting from the darkest colours and layering up to the lightest. So Imperial Purple > Purple Hex > Amethyst > Witch Purple > Lipstick. 
      Then I glazed over everything with MSP Gothic Crimson which was also a LE Reapercon paint, I think from the 2016 swag bag. (I can’t think of a replacement for that off of the top of my head but it’s a wine-maroon colour.) Then in the areas that I wanted to darken, like the transitions going back into the shadows and the backs of the wings, I glazed with the Black Indigo.
       
  • Who's Online   8 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)

×