rfusca

Wiz kids orc warrior

14 posts in this topic

Nice!

You're already painting eyes!

4 people like this

The shading on the skin and pants is very effective. Nice work 

Well I thought I was making progress quickly but you are really taking some big strides in a hurry!

Now I'm no expert but I thought I would give some comments.  Something that stood out to me is his hands.  You might try making the shadows between his fingers a little darker and deeper.  While painting the dark shadow between fingers can look awkward but once everything is done it doesn't standout as much and gives the hands some depth.  This could also just be the lighting which can really brighten areas that are shaded well (I think it happened with me a bit on my Long Horn).

One other thing is the skull's eyes.  I think they look great but to make them look like they are glowing even more you can make a glaze with some orange (make sure it is pretty thin) and just start glazing around the eye sockets.  This will make it look like the glow is casting light out and shinning on the skulls themselves.  When doing this make sure each layer is dry before adding another because if the previous layer is too wet you'll start pulling up paint and getting debris.  Also by making sure the previous layer is dry you can control how much of a glow you get, you just want a hint of orange on the socket you don't want them to look like they are wearing eye shadow.

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I am still learning.  These are just something I have learned from hanging out here and YouTube.  

If I am leading him astray someone please correct me.

This is very good though!  I can't believe you are already painting eyes and doing a great job at it!  They aren't just little black dots!

Edited by NecroMancer

13 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

Well I thought I was making progress quickly but you are really taking some big strides in a hurry!

Now I'm no expert but I thought I would give some comments.  Something that stood out to me is his hands.  You might try making the shadows between his fingers a little darker and deeper.  While painting the dark shadow between fingers can look awkward but once everything is done it doesn't standout as much and gives the hands some depth.  This could also just be the lighting which can really brighten areas that are shaded well (I think it happened with me a bit on my Long Horn).

One other thing is the skull's eyes.  I think they look great but to make them look like they are glowing even more you can make a glaze with some orange (make sure it is pretty thin) and just start glazing around the eye sockets.  This will make it look like the glow is casting light out and shinning on the skulls themselves.  When doing this make sure each layer is dry before adding another because if the previous layer is too wet you'll start pulling up paint and getting debris.  Also by making sure the previous layer is dry you can control how much of a glow you get, you just want a hint of orange on the socket you don't want them to look like they are wearing eye shadow.

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I am still learning.  These are just something I have learned from hanging out here and YouTube.  

If I am leading him astray someone please correct me.

This is very good though!  I can't believe you are already painting eyes and doing a great job at it!  They aren't just little black dots!

Thanks for the great feedback!  The fingers were one part I thought about too.  Its definitely not the lighting, they need more depth, but I didn't realize it till I'd already started a few highlight layers.  I definitely want to add the eyes glow, but I don't have any glazing medium.  It may be something I go back and add afterwards.  Thanks!  Eyes are still a big challenge, this model just had decent scuplting on the eyes which made it a bit easier.  Some of the other wizkids figures (like the humans, my LFGS doesn't carry Reaper Bones minis, but I have some on order) have virtually no face definition and their eyes are extra insane tiny, so those just look like utter trash lol.

Edited by rfusca
4 people like this

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nice!

You're already painting eyes!

And they're both looking at the same place...  now that is tough early on.  Great job!  Mine still look like Marty Feldman if I'm not careful.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, rfusca said:

Thanks for the great feedback!  The fingers were one part I thought about too.  Its definitely not the lighting, they need more depth, but I didn't realize it till I'd already started a few highlight layers.  I definitely want to add the eyes glow, but I don't have any glazing medium.  It may be something I go back and add afterwards.  Thanks!  Eyes are still a big challenge, this model just had decent scuplting on the eyes which made it a bit easier.  Some of the other wizkids figures (like the humans, my LFGS doesn't carry Reaper Bones minis, but I have some on order) have virtually no face definition and their eyes are extra insane tiny, so those just look like utter trash lol.

Glazing medium is not a requirement.  Any paint that can be diluted to a glaze (I usually use 10-15 to 1 water to paint as a ratio).  For my work, the biggest help I can offer is look for a paint that is transparent or translucent rather than opaque.  if you dilute one of the opaque paints too much they tend to get chalky.  paints like reapers clear series (and to be honest, most of their yellows) have very little opacity, this makes them great candidates for glazing, not so good for coverage. 

My other suggestion is to darken the tone around the eyes to give them more definition (note I did not say use black).  A darker skin tone around the eye socket can add some shadow around the eye, defining where the white ends and the skin begins.  It does require some patience not to wipe out the eyeball 2 or 3 times though ::):

Great job on the mini overall.   you are doing a great job!  keep up the good work

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Glazing medium is not a requirement.  Any paint that can be diluted to a glaze (I usually use 10-15 to 1 water to paint as a ratio).  For my work, the biggest help I can offer is look for a paint that is transparent or translucent rather than opaque.  if you dilute one of the opaque paints too much they tend to get chalky.  paints like reapers clear series (and to be honest, most of their yellows) have very little opacity, this makes them great candidates for glazing, not so good for coverage. 

Hmm I don't have an translucent colors either.  I'll pick some up at some point. And thanks!

Edited by rfusca
1 person likes this

One thing to remember, and that has become my mantra is; Deeper shadows, and higher highlights. Especially since we tend to take photos of our figures, the more contrast we have the better. 

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, Darius Glenwell said:

One thing to remember, and that has become my mantra is; Deeper shadows, and higher highlights. Especially since we tend to take photos of our figures, the more contrast we have the better. 

Thanks! definitely something to work on. I thought I was doing that, got done and was like 'huh, could have been much deeper on shadows'.  But its my first real layering.

Edited by rfusca
3 people like this

That's pretty darn impressive; keep up the good work!

Do you have any plans for basing him?

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

That's pretty darn impressive; keep up the good work!

Do you have any plans for basing him?

I added a bit more stone texture to the included base and glued him down to a black disc, nothing fancy yet. Baby steps lol

3 people like this

Very nice!  Reminds me of a Warcraft Orc.

Warcraft, mind you, not World of Warcraft...he doesn't have enough shoulderpads for that.

1 person likes this

Thanks! I like their orc sculpts a lot (I do not like their human sculpts) - they are very warcraft'y !

1 person likes this