Julia

Sculpting and casting

26 posts in this topic

Oh yes- anything organic (or even plastic) will do, as long as it burns and the ash is blown out with compressed air before pouring- it's a good idea to add some wax underneath a flower pedal or anything that's under 0.5mm to have a better chance to have a good quality cast. If the item is big, it needs to be dry or dried before casting- otherwise it might blow up inside the investment during burnout. Organics are usually one time casts, though and due to ash it's better to use an own tree for those items or you may risk to lose hours of work. There are a lot of hobbyists and a few artisans here that does that kind of work, it's fun, but expensive as you'll rarely get a full tree.

Another option for sort of organic cast is to use a cuttlefish shell. This can be done with a really small setup and work as a one-time mold. But it's best to do outside as the fumes smell otherworldly disgusting and will remain as a good companion for a long time ::):

Had a training day for sculpting. Have a bit more control now: tested a mix of super sculpey firm and green stuff 50/50...not a bad mix, adds some working time and is not as sticky as green stuff alone, plus the color is quite pleasant grayish green. Might work well with the jewerly modelling, it takes twice the time to cure tho'. My end result is kinda weird, chubby and cranky squid ::D:

eb.thumb.jpeg.6937afb9875b5e4aa02d1c188993a504.jpeg

11 people like this

Thanks ^_^ might make more squids later: perfect for left-over green stuff.

Cleaned up a bronze cast that I made a while back- never done a scythe or any weapon/tool of this size. Was on my "things to try"-list. Just like the dragon this will be made to be part of a spoon, plus a few to be made as pendants. This is a master for a mold, so as much as I'd like to tidy and clean it more, it needs to have as much material as possible for future casts. I'll solder a sprue to it later today.

scythe.thumb.jpeg.a5e98f6916c765ccb4155435f4925ebd.jpeg

7 people like this

Hello, nice to meet you! And wow, your stuff is amazing!! I love that you're able to work on art like this all day and then show it to us :wub: 

1 person likes this

Scythe and Squid look great!  Thanks for sharing them.

Kang

1 person likes this

Popping in to say hi.

I've been making wax models to assemble at least 4 big trees for both silver and bronze casts. A vital tool for me has been a wax pen, that I use for melting wax for various purposes. I'm so used to it, that losing an equipment like that feels like being without power and that's what happened yesterday; it stopped working. I panicked, because buying a new one (even while being cheap) is not an option at the moment. So, after a frantic search around the house to find something similar, I came across an old glue gun. I modified it. There's now a thin silver wire at the end to conduct heat, held firmly in place by a bit of green stuff ::D: I now own one of the world's cheapest wax pens ever made. It cost me around 6€.

Behold! The DIY wax pen. It's darn ugly, but it works:

20171015_182157.thumb.jpg.48a38ce00af4204f1520068df88c9e42.jpg

3 people like this

I really dig the rabbit.  It makes me think of El-ahrairah (Watership Down).

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Julia said:

Popping in to say hi.

I've been making wax models to assemble at least 4 big trees for both silver and bronze casts. A vital tool for me has been a wax pen, that I use for melting wax for various purposes. I'm so used to it, that losing an equipment like that feels like being without power and that's what happened yesterday; it stopped working. I panicked, because buying a new one (even while being cheap) is not an option at the moment. So, after a frantic search around the house to find something similar, I came across an old glue gun. I modified it. There's now a thin silver wire at the end to conduct heat, held firmly in place by a bit of green stuff ::D: I now own one of the world's cheapest wax pens ever made. It cost me around 6€.

Behold! The DIY wax pen. It's darn ugly, but it works:

20171015_182157.thumb.jpg.48a38ce00af4204f1520068df88c9e42.jpg

Brilliant!  And it doesn't waste batteries.  The tip on my wax pen is getting old.  I may have to try this with a wood burner I have.

3 people like this

Saw hot glue guns at the dollar store yesterday, so I looked up "wax pens" to see how much you saved yourself.  Does $29 seem about right?

Who knew, "wax pens" is also what some kind of drug paraphernalia are called?!   Had to scroll past a bunch of electric vaporizer cannabis oil inhaling devices or whatever they are, to get to the kind of wax pens that are meant for sculpting.  Can't these stoners come up with any original ideas?  Oh, wait, yeah, right, dumb question, never mind...  :)

Best decision to take a DIY approach in my foundry projects ever was spending $200 on a tiny little flux-core welding machine that only goes up to 80A, which is barely powerful enough for what I used it for.  I made my own crucible lift-out  tongs and a pouring shank out of scrap metal I had lying around.  Each of which goes for more than what my welder cost me, if you buy them new from foundry equipment suppliers.  Now I have a perfectly functional set of crucible tools custom made to fit my #12 crucible, AND I still have a very crappy little underpowered welding machine (I don't even have to unplug the stove or anything to use it; just uses a normal plughole) that I can use to make more foundry gear.  Long live DIY!  The woodburner to wax pen conversion idea is a great one too; very nicely done, y'allz.

Kang

Hey!

Andy, it sure does save a LOT of batteries- it does help if you clean the tip with a brass brush once in a while, the wax tends to build up and burn, making the burner less effective. The wood burner sounds interesting, just thinking that will it be too hot for wax? If there's smoke, it means that the wax is burning and that changes the wax structure somehow. What I've gathered from the casts gone bad, it may be a reason for porous bits along the sprue channels. I've had it happen to me once, but there are so many things that can go wrong, that it's difficult to say what caused it.

Wang, wow..googled the wax pen, never realized it shares a name with a vaporizer. Oops, heh. What I used before was a Matt speedy wax pen, it's great when fixing and melting small bits of wax, but when it comes to building a tree, it takes ages to get everything attached. So, $29 is just about the right amount, plus taxes and shipping. DIY is the best ::D:

Mori, it's nice to meet you too! Did you happen to finish the elf yet? Eagerly waiting to see it painted!

Strawhat, thank you! 

I kind of locked myself into the workshop for couple of days; had a maddening phase of procrastination. It's driving me insane to get stuck on everything I try to accomplish; my head is as useless as trying to catch farts ::D: So at the moment, it's pretty much a big no-no to read the forums before I get to work. Oh well, this usually doesn't last more than a week (hopefully): can't wait to be able to function again! But thanks to the lockup, I did manage to make a new model of a raven. The model has a bird on both sides and I'm thinking that I'll make yet another spoon collection...or a really fancy fork... or a hair pin? Well, something usable anyway. I'm going to try the medallion idea next, just to see what it looks like after it's cast.

lintu.thumb.jpeg.69bfa9d7870222284460abb7172e1623.jpeg

2 people like this