Julia

Sculpting and casting

Today was more of a traditional work day. My workshop looks like a war zone. I made a silver brooch for a customer using 1mm silver wire and a whole lot of soldering and polishing. The pin wire is stainless steel, so it will keep it shape better than silver. Don't know how many times I lost the miniature hinge...dropped it a few times, lost it in the chaos among the tools and before soldering, found it wrapped to my clothes ::D:

brooch.thumb.jpeg.c7d1468e54fc2982e848f41863500522.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Love it!  The sea horse and squid are great.   Super sculpy is a bit grainy for fine detail work.   I would recommend experimenting with Fimo professional,  and Primo.   Primo has a smoother finish, and bakes at hotter temperatures, and doesn't go bad nearly as fast. (fimo if it sets, the polystyrine separates, and it becomes "dried out".  You can work it back together, but it takes a lot of work).   That said, if you work in layers, you don't have to sand fimo before attaching the next layer, and it is 10x finer than super sculpy.  Lots of artists will use a 50/50 fimo / green stuff mix.  You can do the same thing with Primo.  The latter makes such a smooth finish, you 100% have to sand before layering.   Both have unique purposes.

Jack, ::D: Thanks. I'm hopeful, that someday someone would like to have a whole set...*fingers crossed*

emmagine, thank you so much for the info- I'll definitely test both Fimo and Primo.

Every now and then I get these commissions that reach my workshop just way-too-late.  For a caster this is a nightmare, because I only have enough time to make a single cast, that has to be perfect. It feels like taking a swim in the middle of the night...and knowing that there are sharks. You'll most likely be just fine, but the idea that something can go very wrong lingers inside your mind like some kind of superglue. I'm commissioned to make 20 hand shaped logos, that has a spiral in the center and spirals are nasty things to cast! 

Here's the master:

hand.thumb.jpeg.f25667961752dd233a62195d294586a4.jpeg

The tree that I whipped together today and is going to be cast on wednesday:

tree1.thumb.jpeg.a06671754735e1acc88a5edaec86b41a.jpeg

Wish me luck ::D:

tree2.jpeg.70c29464c8102a994955295db9cdeffe.jpeg

~Julia

• Like 4

Good luck!  Let us know how it came out, I'll be checking back in a day or two for sure...

Kang

• Thanks 1

Whoo! Thanks for the luck ::D: 

The cast was a success!  The picture below is what it looked like after I removed the investment with citric acid. This tree were cast in silver, so those white specs that you see is actually fine silver and the gray stuff is oxidation- this is normal, I use 925 sterling silver which has 92.5% of fine silver and the rest is copper. The copper in the silver reacts with oxygen and what you'll get is that dark surface, which needs to be removed before polishing. That's what I'm doing now. Lots and lots of sanding, sawing and filing.

cast1.thumb.jpeg.29761fbbcea9951c5ef800ec7aaf4b44.jpeg

Here's a few of those hands after the first rough sanding. Had no dents or holes, which is really nice:

cast2.jpeg.995a031e86313801514ac21685db26bb.jpeg

Back to work, cya!

~Julia

• Like 5

They came out great.   I was wondering if you would succeed with the spiral and you did!

• Like 1

Clever how you added the little gates connecting the spiral to the index finger knuckle and the heel of the palm.  I didn't notice that on the pic of the wax tree at first until after taking a close look at the as-cast tree then scrolling back up.  Great job!

Kang