Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lazylich

[SPLIT] Secret Weapon - Dispute over molds

9 posts in this topic

Apparently Secret Weapon is in a dispute with Wargames Factory over billing and withheld tooling for Tablescapes Tiles. Their press release states that this doesn't involve the Tablescapes Dungeons KS, fortunately. Still, doesn't sound like a good situation.

Edited by lazylich

3 hours ago, lazylich said:

Apparently Secret Weapon is in a dispute with Wargames Factory over billing and withheld tooling for Tablescapes Tiles. Their press release states that this doesn't involve the Tablescapes Dungeons KS, fortunately. Still, doesn't sound like a good situation.

Here's the press release. 

2 people like this

Isn't this the second problem with wargames factory or am I confusing things.

33 minutes ago, lexomatic said:

Isn't this the second problem with wargames factory or am I confusing things.

Didn't they have a hostile takeover by the Chinese factory owners a few years back? 

See, this is why non-disclosure agreements are a good thing. Keeps the dirty laundry out of the press.

Anyway, I thought Wargames Factory was shut down. Warlord Games now owns all of their lines, if I am not mistaken. Did they reboot, or is this just some last ditch money grab on the part of what remains?

In the past WGF had problems.  Mostly due to the actions of Tony Reidy.  He appears to have over-leveraged WGF and their Chinese partners forced the issue and took over.  Tony founded Defiance Games and declared bankruptcy shortly after their KS funded.  Those details are out there, so I'm not going to comment any further.

WGF continued on producing molds and figures for a time.  Then things went quiet.  They kept on manufacturing for others (Kingdom Death, Wyrd, and Dream Forge are the ones I know), but decided to cease direct operations.  Dream Forge licenses the WW2 lines, and Warlord now licenses many (the rest?) of WGF's old ranges and has released the retooled male zombies, biker survivors, and (revised) special ops frames that had been "in limbo" for some time.  Warlord has been working at getting more stock of the older lines (like the orcs and skeletons), but I'm unaware of any time table.

To my knowledge (which is pretty limited) Wyrd, Kingdom Death, and Dream Forge have not had any problems with WGF since the management change.  But that may or may not be the whole of it.

4 people like this

I've been waiting for WGF's Samurai and Ashigaru units to get proper rereleases by Warlord for a while now. You can buy single sprues, but compared to the cost of a full unit box the cost of piecing them together from sprues is about double. Which makes me sad.

1 person likes this

Strawhat pretty much covered everything I know about WGF, too.

1 person likes this

On 9/28/2017 at 7:39 PM, strawhat said:

In the past WGF had problems.  Mostly due to the actions of Tony Reidy.  He appears to have over-leveraged WGF and their Chinese partners forced the issue and took over.  Tony founded Defiance Games and declared bankruptcy shortly after their KS funded.  Those details are out there, so I'm not going to comment any further.

WGF continued on producing molds and figures for a time.  Then things went quiet.  They kept on manufacturing for others (Kingdom Death, Wyrd, and Dream Forge are the ones I know), but decided to cease direct operations.  Dream Forge licenses the WW2 lines, and Warlord now licenses many (the rest?) of WGF's old ranges and has released the retooled male zombies, biker survivors, and (revised) special ops frames that had been "in limbo" for some time.  Warlord has been working at getting more stock of the older lines (like the orcs and skeletons), but I'm unaware of any time table.

To my knowledge (which is pretty limited) Wyrd, Kingdom Death, and Dream Forge have not had any problems with WGF since the management change.  But that may or may not be the whole of it.

For what it is worth, Reidy was a problem, but looking into the manufacturing company as well.... They are not exactly nice people either, and stung several companies prior to what happened with Wargames Factory.

Definitely a case of two wrongs, with no right in sight. (More on Reidy, in my opinion - what happened with Torn Armor's Kickstarter ticks me off to no end.)

The Auld Grump

3 people like this