I'm looking at basing some of my miniatures now that I have a few standard 25mm round bases but I seem to have run into a problem. In the Animal Companion pack, the wolf and the cat are too big for these bases as it seems they were made with cavalier bases in mind. Luckily, the bear is on two hind legs swiping so I should be able to base it with no problems, possibly having to glue a coin inside the base to give it weight to not fall over. I've seen the thread discussing the Owlbear and Iron Cobra with the same problem, but I'm not a fan of the solution of simply basing the figures with larger bases than what the size is in Pathfinder. I'm anal, and a bit stubborn. I figure the best way is to build up the platform with some slate on an angle and have the figure looking over Lion King-style or coming down like a prowling predator. Wondering if anyone has other suggestions I could try, even to mix it up a bit so not every over-sized miniature is based the same way. I'm attaching a picture to show just how much larger the figure is to the base, and where the feet are.

IMG_4029.JPG

Yeah, don't do that.  There are bases that measure approx 60mm by 30mm (or 25mm), in rectangular shape and probably oval as well.  If you have access to a saw you can cut some balsa or other thin wood and make your own custom base.  I wouldn't try that much overhang though unless it's on a larger for-show piece.

Edit:  Re: the show piece idea.  If it wouldn't look totally lopsided you could cut the integrated base off and attach only the front or rear feet to that base pictured.  That way the wolf is either landing or actively pouncing upon something.  That could be a really cool conversion too.  And you can still use your slate chip on top of the base for visual interest.  Get some grass or dirt around the feet to soften the transition of course.

Edited by BLZeebub
Furthermore...
  • Like 1

I really want to stick with the round 25 mm base to keep with uniformity and the game mechanics. I understand I'm trying to make two things that don't go together, go together. And yes, BLZeebub, I will be cutting off the integrated base for the figures. It may come down to me having to use this particular figure as a Dire Wolf (Large Sized creature, 50 mm) or something of the like should I not be able to get the 25 mm base to work.

Who says the figure gotta be flat. you could glue a piece of slate or cork as rock he is about to leap off of onto his prey.

• Like 2

I've run into the same problem with the Tre Manor orcs, which I wanted to use for D&D (and I didn't have any 32mm bases handy at the time). One solution for a figure just a little larger than 25mm was to trim off the integral base and let part of one foot extend past the edge of the base, and actually it enhanced the look of the pose a bit (or I've just rationalized my hack, you decide).

You could also try square bases, with the figure oriented diagonally. A 25mm square base will have a 35mm diagonal, roughly.

(I haven't painted my owlbear yet, aren't they supposed to be Large anyway?)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lazylich said:

I've run into the same problem with the Tre Manor orcs, which I wanted to use for D&D (and I didn't have any 32mm bases handy at the time). One solution for a figure just a little larger than 25mm was to trim off the integral base and let part of one foot extend past the edge of the base, and actually it enhanced the look of the pose a bit (or I've just rationalized my hack, you decide).

You could also try square bases, with the figure oriented diagonally. A 25mm square base will have a 35mm diagonal, roughly.

have any pictures???  Ive been trying to figure out what to do with my orcs as well!

13 minutes ago, lazylich said:

I was wondering how the one foot overhang would look as well. It was either going to look fairly good or look like I had run out of space on the base and just went with it. As for the Owlbear, yes, it is a large creature and shouldn't be a problem if I ever get to that part of a bestiary. The Owlbear was more an example from the last thread of a miniature that was too large for the base that the person wanted, I think for Warlord or something.

One of the reasons I've turned away from square bases is one of my players miniatures I got for them, Lem the Iconic Halfling Bard, seems to completely block the parts of the map below the base. Whenever Lem was in a square that had a wall connecting to it, almost all of my players had a tough time seeing that there was a wall connecting in that square and would try to pass through it on their turn. I cannot imagine what would happen with multiple of those on the map. The round bases fit nicely inside the grid and allow my players to see the map below the party and their enemies far easier.

11 minutes ago, edz16 said:

have any pictures???  Ive been trying to figure out what to do with my orcs as well!

I do, I just need to browse my old attachments...

These are the bones versions of Manor's black orcs, mounted diagonally on a 25mm square base.  I extended the bases a bit with some cork where needed, but as you can see they still fit side by side on a grid.

post-13211-0-09844900-1409545662_thumb.jpgpost-13211-0-73198300-1409545666_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I recently painted that mini myself. I trimmed the integral base to fit on a 1 inch fender washer and left the forward most front paw to hang over the edge. I'll try to snap a pic when I get home.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Xumenicus
      Standby for massive dump in 3... 2... 1...

Chopping this up into a few pieces for easy posting/consumption.

Where I've been: Video games (Xumenicus#1118, if you're on Battle.net), bought a new house, running a fly fishing tournament for a treehugger non-profit, part-running my treehugger fly fishing non-profit local chapter, some other random stuff, and yeah -- here we are. I promise to paint more. Seriously. I just need to paint and sculpt more. I also need to fish more. And game more.

I guess this is a thing: Apparently, I need deadlines in order to get anything done. This time around, since I couldn't make it to RC2017 (travel budget blown on BlizzCon), I aimed for a couple different challenges over at Massive Voodoo: http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2017/07/mv-challenge-2017.html

Objective: Make a water-themed base. No central miniature, no real focus -- just a base. And it has to be mostly water.
      Disclaimer: I'm not at all confident, or consider myself proficient with clear resin. I wasn't sure how good/bad/terrible this piece would turn out, so I didn't spend days painting this. It's got a few rough layers of highlights, a few rough layers of shadows, and basically I just wanted to turn something in, have fun doing it, and not stress about being good enough to win. The MV crowd is amazing -- I was just trying to get closer to touching the sun. :)

Supply List: Wood, coping saw, cyano super glue, wire, green stuff, sculpting tools, paint, brushes, old brushes, Ease Release 200 Mold Release Agent, plastic Solo cups, nitrile gloves, popsicles sticks (fox mixing resin), Castin' Craft® Clear Polyester Casting Resin, small sheet of plasticard, duct tape, Tree House Studio Clear Acrylic High Gloss Coating spray, sandpaper (100, 200, 400, 600, 1000 grit), Woodland Scenics Lichen, Woodland Scenics Water Effects, fly tying thread, level for leveling the curing area

I did a few sketches one night so I could figure out what to do, and this is where I ended up. I thought about doing a waterfall, or something cooler, but I was kind of in a time crunch, and only had 3 weeks, especially since things are still calming down from moving.

[pic_00]

Picked out a piece of wood from my scrap pile...

[pic_01]

Went to work with a coping saw until I had a pleasing, interesting shape...

[pic_02]

Learning from past mistakes with trying to get green stuff to adhere to wood, I opted to seal the wood this time. I used cyano, and 2 old brushes. It actually works really well as a wood sealer ( http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/cyanoacrylate-everything-you-need-to-know/ ), but you need to be extra careful due to the amount being used -- more of a chance to glue yourself to something, glue to project to something, and the fumes will sneak up on you real quick, and burn your eyes or nose. Fair warning. Be careful.

[pic_03]

I opted to use green stuff for the project. That's where my comfort zone still is, even though I'm trying to work more with Beesputty and ZBrush. The bit of twisted copper wire there is to support an additional column. Do an image search for "limestone underwater caves", and you'll see where I'm going with this.

[pic_04]

More...

[pic_05]

A little more...

[pic_06]

Starting the tree. Do a search on "limestone cliffs trees roots", and you'll see where I'm headed even more.

[pic_07]

• By ub3r_n3rd
      For my Broken Gods D&D game, I've painted up all the figures for my group and am now getting around to painting up their mounts and animal companions. 

First off we have Bagheera, the Panther based off artwork in the spoiler. Bagheera is the animal companion of the party's monk/ranger and normally it is a standard medium-sized panther that he can use to fight along side him, but the panther can grow into this large mount when needed.

Next is the Golden Lion, the mount of the party's bard, based on the artwork below:

Next is the Nightmare for the party's warlock, based on the artwork below:

I painted up the standard medium sized panther to use when it is needed. The monk/ranger also gained a (perhaps) temporary follower in "Jim the Brown Bear" which I also decided to paint up for this adventure and future adventures as a companion or just standard bear.

All of these are painted up tabletop to tabletop+ standards. I didn't want to put too much work into them as they are just meant to be on the tabletop and not to be put into any contests.

Larger panther and the lion are the lioness and lion from Bones 3. The smaller panther and the brown bear are bones animal companions. The Nightmare is from one of Tre's kickstarters. It has a barbarian that goes on the saddles, which of course I omitted here and I'll either toss the barbarian in the BOGW or put him in the melt bin at ReaperCon now that he's not really needed and I covered the hole in the saddle where he would normally attach.

There's one missing mount, a silver and black fox that I may also paint up for the 4th member of the group. She paints minis too, so I'm thinking I'll give her a wolf figure that looks very foxlike to have her do it herself especially since I have so many other projects I need to finish up on this month.

Anyhow, C&C are welcomed and appreciated!

EDIT!!

Adding more pics of the figures in more close-up shots for each one.

• By ub3r_n3rd
      Today, I'm not feeling working on my main ReaperCon project for the diorama so I figured to stay productive and still do something I'll go ahead and start a WIP thread for some tabletop to tabletop+ painted figures of mounts and/or animal companions for the characters in my D&D game.

First off I'm doing these three bones figures: animal companion brown bear (Jim), animal companion black panther (Alex), and Phantasmal blue panther mount (Bagheera). These are for the monk/ranger character in my D&D 'Broken Gods' game.

I will use some green stuff to even out and blend into the bones broccoli bases, the bigger panther will get a green stuff made saddle and harness. 

After I'm done with these three:
      I will paint up a golden lion (the companion to the panther figure from bones 3 I believe) Find a fox figure big enough to be a mount - will need to be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. Acquire a nightmare figure for a mount or modify a horse or unicorn
    • By CrazyK
      Has anyone seen the textured rollers made by the company Green Stuff World?   Came across them when I was buying some items to make bases.   Bought a few of them, but now I have seen how simple and quick it is to make bases am thinking I will buy the others when I am a little more financial.   Tonight pumped out 16 bases using the planks for rebasing some of the Rum & Bones stuff I am about to paint.  

Anyhoo thought I'd share the before and after pics.   Did a quick paint up of them to see how they would turn out. Just bases coat, washes and bit of drybrushing.   First one is meant to be frozen, but I thought it would work really well as lava.

• By OvantheWise
      Hay there haven't posted in a wile, my store is under renovation so I haven't been able to work on stuff lately. I was working on a half orc anti paladin but unfortunately I guess I didn't mix the epoxy correctly when I was gluing the figure together and half way threw painting her she fell apart. So instead I was able to finish this first and wanted to share it.

This is the 60059 Harrower, in my mind she is standing at the edge of a cliff channeling magic getting ready to attack what ever is below her. I wanted to try something different with the magic effect so I tried we blending colored washes into different metallic colors and I like the result I got, I then decided to go with a some what anime style theme to the rest of the figures paint scheme. I have included both 2 work in progress photos as well as 2 taken after final assembly. I have no idea why the two final assembly photos are so dark, but the color in the work in progress is much closer to what it actually looks like in person. As always feed back is welcome, please keep in mind I don't normally paint small detail like what I did on the cards and I am working to improve my line size and consistency.

As always I post stuff like this and more on my FB page if you would like to follow it I would greatly appreciate it. www.facebook.com/TabletopGlory

• Who's Online   17 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)