Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SamuraiJack

9425 Icy Violet hair insights?

15 posts in this topic

Working on a new elf bust I got and thought I'd go with Icy Violet for the hair, then I realized that finding highlights and a compatible wash and midtone might be difficult.. other than doing it the old fashioned way and mixing myself anyone know of any closely compatible paints?  I don't need to limit myself to Reaper..

Edited by SamuraiJack

If I were planning to use Reaper paints, I'd probably start with Blue Flame and go to white for the highlights. For the shadows, Clear Purple, Violet Shadow, or Violet Liner.

But Golden's Dioxazine Purple is a really nice purple that will give you a wide range of purples when mixed with white, so I'd probably just use a gradient from straight Dioxazine to Titanium White, then kill the shine when it's done.

1 person likes this

I agree with using purple in there - violet is in between purple and blue, leaning a bit on the blue side. If you did mostly blues with violet in the creases, and some thin purple glazes in general, I think it would look very nice. Then you'd need to highlight up from there. 

Doug, how true to the color violet are the Violet Shadow and Violet Liner paints? Because the red-violet triad is thoroughly misnamed. Thus I have concerns about Reaper's color naming scheme. 

Violet Liner is a very dark shade, nearly black, that reads as purple when thinned. (Much like Green Liner is nearly black but reads green when thinned.)

Violet Shadow was supposed to be the same pigments in a normal MSP paint base rather than liner base as I understood it. It's always seemed less dark than the liner to me, though.

FWIW, I don't have a problem with the naming of the Violet-Red paints, though. They're a bit more gray than I might prefer, but they're definitely a mix of red and violet, though more toward the red end of that range.

Finally, I now know that "violet" is defined by wavelength (3800 - 4500Å), but "purple" is defined as a mix of red and violet. I'll note that this was a bit of a surprise for me. But since I didn't have a technical definition of the difference previously, being a tech writer, research it was. :B):

1 person likes this

After doing color definitions via color wheel (instead of wavelength), the Violet-Red is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. In that naming scheme, you don't get non-adjacent colors mixed in a name. You can have a purpleish red, or a reddish purple, or a violetish purple, or a violetish blue.... but not a violetish red. 

If you go with the idea that it is those two color paints mixed, maybe it is a bit less irksome. Still twitching a bit though. 

Nifty on the wavelength definition for sure. Does that mean that purple is our brains combining signals from both the red and violet wavelengths then, instead of having its own place on the spectrum? Or is it purely an artist's definition? 

Edited by Cyradis
1 person likes this

Olive Drab is just an orange-green. :devil:

Linearly around a wheel is very limiting, both in what you can create and in what you can conceive.

Understanding color works best if you think about it in three dimensions, though what you pick for your axes can vary. I find HSL (Hue, Saturation, and Luminance) most compatible with the way I think myself, but RGB, LAB, and a variety of other models have their advantages. And you have to be able to figure out how to get where you want to be with pigments once you know where that is, of course.

1 person likes this

We did combine the color wheel with tone and saturation for the descriptions. "Pink" was a bit of an odd one in there. Low tone, mid saturation, purpleish red (often). The wheel was a bit of a theta, if you think of the colors cylindrically. 

We would have had olive drab as a low saturation, mid tone, slightly yellow green most likely. Mixing an orange with a green would be a good way to get the brownish aspect. 

1 person likes this

I used Icy Violet as the main color on my vampire for ReaperCon last year. Her show of is here: "Graveyard Beauty"  Her dress is Icy Violet  highlighted with True Blue and shaded with Royal Purple.

5 people like this

Sorry folks, should have clarified I used 9425 Icy violet for the base coat and not going for a generic icy violet..  

@SGHawkins09 thanks, thats a good place to start..

I thought maybe Spectral White might work, but it's a pinkish purple instead of a blue purple..  the reaper purples seem either very red oriented or severely purple oriented.. the Twilight Triad seems like it would have worked, but it's discontinued.. 

3 people like this

30 minutes ago, SamuraiJack said:

Sorry folks, should have clarified I used 9425 Icy violet for the base coat and not going for a generic icy violet..  

@SGHawkins09 thanks, thats a good place to start..

I thought maybe Spectral White might work, but it's a pinkish purple instead of a blue purple..  the reaper purples seem either very red oriented or severely purple oriented.. the Twilight Triad seems like it would have worked, but it's discontinued.. 

Hope it helps, Icy Violet is one of my favorites from the Bones line and would love to see it everywhere. 

If you are after a good white, maybe Factory White if you have it, it is a nice blue white. It was part of the Heavy Gears set so it is discontinued. Snow Shadow could be a good alternative. For shading, Regal or Monarch Purple could work like Royal did for me or you could for a darker blue such as Ultramarine Shadow or Sapphire Blue. Nightmare Black could be a possibility as, if I remember correctly, it is a blue black. In the Bones line Styx Purple could work as a shade and Frost Blue as a highlight. I am working from memory of the colors and the swatches on the website so some of these may not work at all.

3 people like this

I'm going to see how 9267 Sunset Purple looks as a shade/wash

1 person likes this

Did a tester.  29847 Rich Indigo seems to be the best wash shade (2nd down on  the right).  The sunset purple is right above it but would make for a dirtier look. 

15069205974841763783693.thumb.jpg.286a9f3e337bd0050471967a1544cda1.jpg

6 people like this

These are Vallejo Azure, AP ultramarine and MSP rich indigo

20171003_020017.thumb.jpg.79ad8a7b562ced327c5c762154172b2f.jpg

1 person likes this

from Theory to application

Bottom two are 9080 indigo sky (oop) and 9422 night sky indigo.  It would seem that 9080 is the perfect shadow color.  

20171013_004852.thumb.jpg.5c71265c0ba78f993ece3fe7505e3969.jpg

1 person likes this