28 posts in this topic

Oh, you really disappointed me. When I read Hydra, I thought of the Anti-Aircraft tank, not a dragon. Is it even a dragon?

 

Anyway - colours are great and I really love the overall match of the figure and the base - though I have to note: What is that beneath the Hydra? Is it what I think it is? I hope that is a pool and not the result of a poor dragons incontinence ...

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Knochensack said:

Oh, you really disappointed me. When I read Hydra, I thought of the Anti-Aircraft tank, not a dragon. Is it even a dragon?

 

Anyway - colours are great and I really love the overall match of the figure and the base - though I have to note: What is that beneath the Hydra? Is it what I think it is? I hope that is a pool and not the result of a poor dragons incontinence ...

It’s a reptile like a dragon. Cut a head off and 2 more grow back in its place. 

 

Just a swapy little pool, he’s not THAT old... yet! ::P:

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You did that in 3-4 hours? Geez, on that time scale, it is rockin'. Any C&C would be "spend more time with it" to tidy and smooth things. I'm not sure I'd get a base coat done that fast LOL. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

You did that in 3-4 hours? Geez, on that time scale, it is rockin'. Any C&C would be "spend more time with it" to tidy and smooth things. I'm not sure I'd get a base coat done that fast LOL. 

Yep, spent more time on the base than the hydra tbh. I just slapped green liner on the hydra, then dry brushed on greens and yellow to give it a bit of depth, painted the eyes and mouths and called it good. The base was more fun/interesting to me than the figure, but the figure is what is needed at the table for next session. ::D: 

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Knochensack said:

Oh, you really disappointed me. When I read Hydra, I thought of the Anti-Aircraft tank, not a dragon. Is it even a dragon?

 

Anyway - colours are great and I really love the overall match of the figure and the base - though I have to note: What is that beneath the Hydra? Is it what I think it is? I hope that is a pool and not the result of a poor dragons incontinence ...

 

In mythology, slaying the Lernaean Hydra is one of the labors that Hercules (Heracles) had to do after he killed his family in a fit of rage induced by a pissed off goddess. The challenge was that when one head was removed, multiple grew it its place. Ways to deal with this include burning the stumps before growth happens. They're very reptilian, and good at eating people. 

 

Alternatively, it could also be the group that acts against Captain America. Hydra as a group acts against good guy group SHIELD. They also run with the head-regrowth mythos as part of their insideousness. 

 

Can you show us a picture of an anti-aircraft tank named for the creature? Must be a heck of a tank to deserve to be called a hydra.  

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great Job Ub3r !!!

This is one of those times I looked at the subject, ignored your technique,

and enjoyed  the color flow up and around the Hydra (and it's multiple heads),

and saw the contrast destruction of the citadel at its feet.  This is one of those "Rare"

the story tells it all.  Like the effective use of color, and impact.

 

Jay

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

 

In mythology, slaying the Lernaean Hydra is one of the labors that Hercules (Heracles) had to do after he killed his family in a fit of rage induced by a pissed off goddess. The challenge was that when one head was removed, multiple grew it its place. Ways to deal with this include burning the stumps before growth happens. They're very reptilian, and good at eating people. 

 

Alternatively, it could also be the group that acts against Captain America. Hydra as a group acts against good guy group SHIELD. They also run with the head-regrowth mythos as part of their insideousness. 

 

Can you show us a picture of an anti-aircraft tank named for the creature? Must be a heck of a tank to deserve to be called a hydra.  

 

My knowledge of mythology is one sentence I remember from school, in which our teacher told us that most of greek myths happend because Zeus couldn't keep it in his pants. I guess that is everything I had to know back then :-D

 

But yeah - pissed off goddesses are nothing one want to achieve. I think Arachne was also very successful in getting that done.

 

Regarding the tank. ->Check here<-

 

 

Edited by Knochensack
5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zeus couldn't keep it in his pants. Hercules was born. Hera was pissed and cursed Hercules to kill his family. Then Herc went on a quest to prove he was really sorry about it. 

 

And that is an impressive tank indeed! 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jasonator said:

Great Job Ub3r !!!

This is one of those times I looked at the subject, ignored your technique,

and enjoyed  the color flow up and around the Hydra (and it's multiple heads),

and saw the contrast destruction of the citadel at its feet.  This is one of those "Rare"

the story tells it all.  Like the effective use of color, and impact.

 

Jay

Thanks, Jay!!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, Cyradis said:

Zeus couldn't keep it in his pants. Hercules was born. Hera was pissed and cursed Hercules to kill his family. Then Herc went on a quest to prove he was really sorry about it. 

 

And that is an impressive tank indeed! 

 

So he killed something else. Great man. He will be my new hero of today.

 

The tank is impressive. Yes. Indeed :-D

Edited by Knochensack
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job!

The Hydra looks menacing!

 

The base is awesome!

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Great job!

The Hydra looks menacing!

 

The base is awesome!

 

Thank you, fuzzy glittered one!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You did an OUTSTANDING  job painting the Beasty in a FINE variety of  colors. The base is WONDERFULAND he has such endearing smiles. VERY WELL DONE!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be a lot of fun to pull out in a gaming session!  Great job!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Ash Adler
      I had a really good time with this kit, and I feel like I learned a lot from it, too.  Win-win!
       

      This is probably my best paint job to date, and it was pretty cool to see those highlights and shades build up layer by layer.  Similar to the skeleton in the first kit, this one was quite fun to work on despite being a fairly simple model.
       

      If the wizard was the best paint job, this one was the most fun.  Sadly, something about the posture just confounded me when it came to trying to take good pictures of it.  Also, those lips
       

      I was a bit sloppy with this one, probably because I wanted to just finish with the kits and get on to doing my own minis again.  Nevertheless, it was a neat challenge to try doing so many layers of colors for this one, and if nothing else, that left eye is probably the best eye I've painted (right one's a bit of a mess ).
       
      On the whole, I'm very grateful for all of the people who suggested getting the LTP kits.  Definitely a great couple of learning tools.  Many thanks!
    • By Guildenstern
      Idk if this is a KS model or one I randomly bought to fill out our need for giant monsters that are not cardboard cutouts. Anyway, he's done. He was going to maybe go in a desert diorama but I decided against (he didn't end up fitting). I might go back over his claw bits again tho, they seem a lot darker in the pic than they do IRL but theyr'e still just not quite right. Anyway, he's based on a couple of RL pics, mostly going for a shiny red carapace kind of idea. He's not in my WIP thread, so just a quick note, I undercoated him mournfang brown (a red brown GW colour) and then built up to the red with reaper's bloodstain red and later clotted red (my absolutely fave triad *ever*)
       

    • By Ash Adler
      Intellect devourers were always one of my favorite D&D monsters, so I'd been planning on painting this mini eventually, but I never got around to buying it since it was kind of plain compared to most other minis.  As fortune had it, though, I got it as a bonus with my last order from Reaper, so I decided to just do it.  Color scheme was based on a mixture of the AD&D 2nd Edition Monstrous Manual intellect devourer, the more "realistic" 3rd edition version, and a smattering of actual crabs.
       

       
      As usual, the process of working on it is on my blog: link
       
      Unfortunately, I wasn't sure how to handle holding a mini without a base that I could stick on top of a shot glass.  I held it by unpainted parts for as long as I could, but in the end, I held it by the brain to finish off the talons.  Sadly, that led to some of the paint getting rubbed off (probably could've avoided at least some of that if I hadn't been squeezing it so hard, but it's easy to forget my strength at times).  Aside from that, though, I'm rather pleased with how it turned out .  It was a simple mini, but I enjoyed it.  C&C welcome (especially any tips for how to avoid damaging finished paint on baseless minis, short of varnishing a completed area to hold it by for the final parts).
    • By Ash Adler
      I'm glad I got talked into checking out these kits.  Having someone walk me through what exactly to do really helped me to focus on what was happening with the mini without getting distracted by thinking about the next color choice or whatever.
       

      Honestly, the skeleton was probably my favorite of the 3 minis.  Sure, it doesn't have as much going on with it as the other two, but the simplicity makes it good for learning, it's the one that seems best suited to "drybrush EVERYTHING" approach to highlighting, and besides, the dopey look of it is rather cute
       

      This one, on the other hand, was kind of a nightmare.  It's not so much that there was anything particularly difficult about the model itself (it's actually posed to make things pretty easy to access all around), but it was just horrible trying to drybrush it with any real sort of cleanliness (not talking so much about how I clearly overdid it in some areas as stuff like the random brown smudges on his skin, metal sparkles on his leather parts, etc.).  Well, that, and I had a hell of a time getting the brush to survive banging into the spikey bits no matter how careful/gentle I tried to be with it when doing the leather bits.
       
      Getting more eye practice is never a bad thing, at least.  I even managed to keep the black outline all around the whites this time!
       

      This one annoyed me to start out because I just couldn't get the sword to set straight no matter how much I overbent it in the other direction while doing the whole hot/cold water thing.  Once I decided to just give up and go with it, though, it was pretty smooth.  Probably the best looking of the three in the end.
       
      All in all, it was a very valuable learning experience.  Hoping that the learning keep going on through the next kit as well!
    • By Kuche
      Sup guys, i have just finisthis miniature, well i think i finish, it may need more little more definition in some areas.  hope you guys enjoy and like it 
       

  • Who's Online   39 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)