Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BananeDC

Mythos monsters ID

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have received and i'm painting Bones 3 Mythos expansion but i have'nt identified all the monsters.

I know that there is a :

- One Gug

- 4 deep ones

Buit for the others i'm not sure. Is the big one a Shub Niggurath "dark young one" ?

There are two creatures with 4 legsand tentacles on the head (Chtuloids?)

And at last a sort of little monster compposed with 3 tentacles and a lot of mouths.

As i haven't read Lovecraft, a bit of help wouls be welcome (including for the paint color schemes)

Thanks !

11 hours ago, BananeDC said:

Buit for the others i'm not sure. Is the big one a Shub Niggurath "dark young one" ?

And at last a sort of little monster compposed with 3 tentacles and a lot of mouths.

As i haven't read Lovecraft, a bit of help wouls be welcome (including for the paint color schemes)

Thanks !

Yes, the big guy with three legs is a "dark young" (cat. number 77516).

The two creatures with four legs are "mi-go" (cat. number: 77522).

The last thing is a "gravewailer" (cat. number: 77521).

The catalog numbers have been assigned, but may not be in the shop.

I haven't gotten that far in my reading, so I'm not any help regarding any "canon" color schemes.  I say go with whatever looks good to you!

Posted (edited)

What Strawhat said, regarding the identification.

H.P. Lovecraft (the creator of most of these monsters, from the 1910's and 1920's) barely described any of his monsters, and the way they are typically drawn and sculpted are usually the result of consensus in the years since the "Call of Cthulhu" RPG helped standardize things a bit with black-and-white drawings from the 1970s, until a few years ago when editions of the game started appearing in colour.

For the colour scheme, you can use your best judgment on them, aiming for something visceral, dark, and unearthly, and you'll do fine

Still if you prefer to paint things as close to Lovecraft's original descriptions as possible:

Gugs:

"The gugs, hairy and gigantic, once reared stone circles in that wood and made strange sacrifices to the Other Gods and the crawling chaos Nyarlathotep, until one night an abomination of theirs reached the ears of earth’s gods and they were banished to caverns below. Only a great trap-door of stone with an iron ring connects the abyss of the earth-ghouls with the enchanted wood, and this the gugs are afraid to open because of a curse. That a mortal dreamer could traverse their cavern realm and leave by that door is inconceivable; for mortal dreamers were their former food, and they have legends of the toothsomeness of such dreamers even though banishment has restricted their diet to the ghasts, those repulsive beings which die in the light, and which live in the vaults of Zin and leap on long hind legs like kangaroos....

"So at length Randolph Carter crawled through endless burrows with three helpful ghouls.... When they came again into open twilight they were in a forest of vast lichened monoliths reaching nearly as high as the eye could see and forming the modest gravestones of the gugs... and seen through aisles of monoliths, was a stupendous vista of Cyclopean round towers mounting up illimitable into the grey air of inner earth. This was the great city of the gugs, whose doorways are thirty feet high. Ghouls come here often, for a buried gug will feed a community for almost a year, and even with the added peril it is better to burrow for gugs than to bother with the graves of men. Carter now understood the occasional titan bones he had felt beneath him in the vale of Pnath.

"...And yet, horrible as [ghasts] were, they were not so horrible as what presently came out of the cave after them with disconcerting suddenness.  It was a paw, fully two feet and a half across, and equipped with formidable talons. After it came another paw, and after that a great black-furred arm to which both of the paws were attached by short forearms. Then two pink eyes shone, and the head of the awakened gug sentry, large as a barrel, wobbled into view. The eyes jutted two inches from each side, shaded by bony protuberances overgrown with coarse hairs. But the head was chiefly terrible because of the mouth. That mouth had great yellow fangs and ran from the top to the bottom of the head, opening vertically instead of horizontally.

"But before that unfortunate gug could emerge from the cave and rise to his full twenty feet, the vindictive ghasts were upon him. Carter feared for a moment that he would give an alarm and arouse all his kin, till a ghoul softly glibbered that gugs have no voice, but talk by means of facial expression...."
- H.P.L., "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath"

TL;DR:  Lovecraft roughly describes the gug much the way it has been sculpted, and it has black fur, pink eyes, and yellow fangs.

The Dark Young:

Never described by Lovecraft - we have only off-hand references to "Shub-Niggurath, the Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young".

Robert "Psycho" Bloch is probably the guy who gave them their iconic RPG shape and appearance, in "Notebook Found in a Deserted House", where they are described as humming, chanting, slimy black creatures with root-like feet at the bottom of a thick wrinkled trunk, and a nest of branch-like tentacles at the top; the semi-literate child narrator compares what he sees to trees, and associates the creatures with tree-worshiping pre-Columbian American druids he supposed might have colonized  America in ancient times, bringing their hellish "tree" gods with them.....

TL; DR:  Using Robert Bloch's descriptions, Dark Young might best be painted in dark, oily tones; Bloch's Dark Young might otherwise resemble weird, slimy, hellish black trees....

The Mi-Go, Fungi from Yuggoth:

"They were pinkish things about five feet long; with crustaceous bodies bearing vast pairs of dorsal fins or membraneous wings and several sets of articulated limbs, and with a sort of convoluted ellipsoid, covered with multitudes of very short antennae, where a head would ordinarily be.... They talked with their heads, which changed colour in different ways to mean different things."
- H.P.L., "The Whisperer in Darkness"

Elsewhere in the story, these are revealed to be alien creatures, capable of flying through space without spacecraft, and maintaining mining colonies on Earth; they aren't made of Earthly matter, and do not appear on film when photographed.  They seem to be expert surgeons and clever crafters, capable of removing human brains and implanting them in metal and glass machinery for their own mysterious purposes, and apparently can speak human language, after a fashion, in a buzzing voice "like a bee", the voice either generated biologically in some way, or through machinery.

TL;DR:  Mi-Go are roughly described the way they have been sculpted, and they are pinkish, with heads that change colours in different ways as their natural form of communication.

The "Grave Wailers" are not a Lovecraft invention, nor is it an invention of one of Lovecraft's numerous friends and pen-pals who contributed to the shared "mythos" Lovecraft originally inspired, and nor is it a standard Call of Cthulhu monster - it seems to be the sculptor's original creation, and you seem to be left entirely to your imagination here :)

Edited by YronimosW
fixed formatting
3 people like this

Hi,

Thanks for the info and recomandations, it has been very helpfull to me ::):

On 10/1/2017 at 1:38 AM, BananeDC said:

Hi,

I have received and i'm painting Bones 3 Mythos expansion but i have'nt identified all the monsters.

I know that there is a :

- One Gug

- 4 deep ones

Thanks !

Contains the following:
77516    Dark Young
77517    Cultists (3)
77518    Cultist Priests (2)
77519    Deep One Warriors (2)
77520    Deep One Priest & Servitor (2)
77521    Gravewailer
77522    Mi-go (x2)
77523    Cthulhu Shrine
77524    Gug, Eldritch Horror
77525    Great Obelisk
80063    Ship Hand
80064    Ship Captain
80065    Physician
80066    Psychologist
80067    Max Graves, Pulp Era Investigator
80068    Victorian Adventurers (3)
80069    Jane Porter, Victorian Heroine
80070    Pulp Hera Female Pilot
80071    Hillbilly
80072    Antarctic Explorer
80073    Pulp Era Professor
80074    Jake Ryan, Hero Explorer
80075    Camel w/ Pack

4 people like this

I just saw a thread in another Reaper forum by someone who has just finished painting these monsters - the results look great, and they might be a great source of ideas! (link)

I really need to figure out how that painter achieved that weird, oily effect for the Dark Young....

Thanks for the list Ladystorm !

YrominosW : too late, painted The cultists, the deep ones and the dark young this afternoon !

1 person likes this