Crowley

Getting to know each other, October edition

530 posts in this topic

Greatings gentle beings! Once again, I, the Haminister of Truth dons the sacred robes of the Quisitor for this the spookiest of months, and also the month with the high holy week of ReaperCon!

Question for Tuesday, October 2nd:

Pumpkin Spice season is upon us. What is your favorite autumnal food, drink, and treat?

14 people like this

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Pumpkin Spice season is upon us. What is your favorite autumnal food, drink, and treat?

Food: day-after-Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches, with crisp lettuce, tomato, mayo, and maybe Swiss cheese. Look forward to that sandwich more than the Thanksgiving dinner. It is the perfect mix of flavorful turkey, not gorging oneself on a thousand other things, and well before the period of being sick of turkey sets in.

Drink: sparkling cider, it reminds me of childhood.

Treat: baked apples, or pumpkin pie. The latter had the slight advantage of being hated by the rest of the household, which means more for me!

Edited by Sophie was taken
13 people like this

Food: Yes

Drink: Hot Cider with Spiced Rum

Treat: Pumpkin Pie

10 people like this

22 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I love it when the temperature starts to get cold enough to think about Apple Cider.  Growing up Dad would buy the large glass jugs of it and put it outside on the steps overnight.  Tasted so good when it was almost icy cold and brought back in the house.  Sadly, I doubt we'll see any temperatures in the 40s that would kick off this tradition, but I always begin anticipating it in October.

10 people like this

I'm another fan of Apple Cider; pumpkin spice is an abomination.  Not sure why Awesome Wife likes it, maybe just to spite me....#madeforeachother.

As for food, hot soups and stews; chicken and dumplings, 13 bean soup, tomato soup w/grilled cheese.

Orchard apples.  supermarket apple just aren't the same.

13 people like this

31 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Food: turkey!

Drink: don't have a seasonal favorite.

Treat: pumpkin bread or pie!

Candy corn isn't my thing, but I thought some of you might enjoy this: 

IMG_1290.thumb.JPG.599f88536a578b3f519e5a72df19e75c.JPG

It's a candy corn cone from my uncle's food joint. The yellow is vanilla flavored and the orange is candy corn flavored. It sure is festive!

12 people like this

35 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Greatings gentle beings! Once again, I, the Haminister of Truth dons the sacred robes of the Quisitor for this the spookiest of months, and also the month with the high holy week of ReaperCon!

Truthfully, I don't consume much pumpkin spice outside of its traditional pie form. I have nothing against it, it's just not my go-to flavor.

My favorite autumnal food is probably Thanksgiving dinner, taken as a collective whole, but that's November food. For October... Probably red cabbage, knockwurst, sauerkraut, etc. You know, Oktoberfest foods. Sadly, that season will end within the next few days, and I'll be back to waiting for Thanksgiving.

12 people like this

42 minutes ago, Crowley said:

The closest thing I get to a treat is I always bake a ham to take to the family Thanksgiving and Christmas get-togethers.  Which reminds me...  I need to bake one soon for umm...  Practice.  Yeah that's what we'll call it.

14 people like this

I really don't have a seasonal food. If I like it I'll eat it whenever.

Thou definitely not pumpkin spice "Insert item of choice"!!!!

11 people like this

56 minutes ago, Crowley said:

all of it.

octoberfest beers are great

the foods that go with them also great (bratwurst, smoked porkchop, spetzle, pretzels,red cabbage etc..)

then there's all things turkey, and stuffing and sweet potatoes

and apple cake

and pumpkin pie

really this is when all the best food is available. 

12 people like this

42 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Food: Grilled sausage.  It's not strictly autumnal but autumn is usually when I get to grill sausage, usually when I'm burning vacation time at home.  (My wife doesn't eat sausage.)

Drink:

Pedantic answer: Peppermint hot chocolate.  (Winter technically doesn't start until the solstice.) 

Less pedantic: spiced apple cider.

Treat: Pumpkin pie.

12 people like this

Apples from my Fireside tree and fresh pressed juice from the same.

13 people like this

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Food: Turkey and stuffing

Drink: Nothing special

Treat: Candy "corn" pumpkins.

11 people like this

Well, contrary to what most food manufactures think, it's not pumpkin spice.  I say pumpkin spice cream soda at the store yesterday.  :huh:

It's not really a autumnal food, but it's about his time of year that I start getting the urge to make chili again.  It's too hot in the summer, so by the time October rolls around, it will have been almost 4-6 months since the last pot.

10 people like this

Food? Uuhh.... good food. 

Drink? Spiced and spiked hot apple cider. I get the nice thick almost opaque juice, heat it with whole cinnamon, allspice, and cloves. Then I put in ~1oz of amaretto, tuaca, rum, allspice liqueur, ginger liqueur, or whiskey. Doesn't need much. Just enough to feel warm inside. 

Treat? Iunno. I love soup? 

12 people like this