Crowley

Getting to know each other, October edition

563 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Crowley said:

For me it's Hocus Pocus. Nightmare before Christmas is more of a December movie for me, and Ghostbusters is something that I'll watch anytime. 

I confused Halloween Town with Hocus Pocus. :-(   Both are great.

Amok, Amok, Amok

8 people like this

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Question for Thursday October 5th:

What's your favorite Halloween movie? Have you/are you going to watch it this month?

Only Halloween movie I can think of besides the obvious is E.T. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do for Halloween on Brooklyn Nine-nine this year, though.

5 people like this

For me, it's "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown."

What can I say, I like the classics.::P:

10 people like this

34 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

What's your favorite Halloween movie? Have you/are you going to watch it this month?

Do Halloween episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer count? 

Season 2 and 4 have great ones. 

I haven't watched them yet, its not an every year thing, 

Absolutely! 

(Updates question)

4 people like this

1 hour ago, knarthex said:

Are there more after Young Frankenstein? 

Nothing will ever equal Young Frankenstein, but I do like The Corpse BrideThe Nightmare Before ChristmasWallace & Gromit: The Cure of the Were-Rabbit, & maybe Army of Darkness.

I probably won't watch any of the before Halloween has passed...c'est la vie, eh?!

8 people like this

Posted (edited)

Gonna break the rules by going back a bit.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:35 AM, Crowley said:

Greatings gentle beings! Once again, I, the Haminister of Truth dons the sacred robes of the Quisitor for this the spookiest of months, and also the month with the high holy week of ReaperCon!

Question for Tuesday, October 2nd:

Pumpkin Spice season is upon us. What is your favorite autumnal food, drink, and treat?

Thanksgiving is my favourite family get together holiday - no pressure, no nonsense, we just enjoy each other's company and eat. My uncle is the best cook I know and he starts working on Thanksgiving at least a week in advance. All of the food is awesome, but the standouts for me are always Asparagus Casserole, Shrimp Mirliton Casserole and Dirty Rice.

My autumnal drink would be hot chocolate. It's still hot as hell here, but my body realized that it was technically Fall, so I've been drinking hot chocolate every night.

As far as treats, as much as I live and breathe Halloween year-round, when it comes to edibles, I really am all about Thanksgiving. Pecan pie is my favourite, but I do love a good pumpkin pie as well.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:12 AM, Crowley said:

Question for Tuesday, October 3rd:

What is the most ridiculous "Pumpkin Spice" item you've seen? Did you get it/try it? What's the craziest you can come up with?

I'm not bothered by the pumpkin spice trend. I have friends who get super excited to go get a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks. I've tried it and didn't hate it, but I would much prefer to get the Chai Frappuccino (I was thrilled when they started making almond milk an option at Starbucks - I'm lactose intolerant but hate soy milk, so on the rare occasion that I'd get a Chai Frappuccino, I'd just be ill for the rest of the day. But getting it with almond milk means it still tastes awesome and I don't have to be ill.)

I know that trends are annoying for people who don't get it, but in a world so filled with constant anger and outrage and awful things happening all the time, personally I think shut up and let people enjoy their pumpkin spice.

Mind you, I'm not arguing against cynicism toward the companies trying to cash in on trends by making pumpkin spice everything, just the way that such cynicism tends to trend toward criticizing the people that enjoy such products.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 7:41 AM, Crowley said:

Question for Wednesday, October 4th: What's your favorite song for the season? Why? Any special memories attached to it?

I'd just go with The Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack, though I do often listen to that year-round as well.

If I absolutely had to pick a favourite that I consider a true "Halloween movie", it would be The Nightmare Before Christmas. I tend to think of most movies that other people would only think to watch around Halloween to be any time of year movies. Like obviously I love the Alien movies and they're scary and gory, but I'm just as likely to rewatch one of them in April as I am in October. So beyond that, off the top of my head of movies I think would be fun to watch in October: Hocus Pocus, Halloweentown (1 and 2), Beetlejuice, Drag Me To Hell, Ghostbusters, Halloween (any of them,) probably the first 3 Harry Potter movies, Nightmare on Elm Street (any of them,) Fright Night (remake,) 28 Days Later, The Hills Have Eyes (remake,) Cabin in the Woods, The Shining, Scream, The Descent, Poltergeist.......I could probably keep listing movies for the next 3 days so I'll stop now.

Edited by Guindyloo
8 people like this

24 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

Gonna break the rules by going back a bit.

Elf the rules!!

7 people like this

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

What's your favorite Halloween movie (or TV episode)? Have you/are you going to watch it this month?

Again, Nightmare Before Christmas for me. I watch for Hallowe'en and for Christmas.

4 people like this

Favorite Halloween movie or TV episode?

Buffy Halloween episodes are pretty great. Just in general. 

Don't have a favorite Halloween movie. My friends will glare at me for this but... I'm not a huge fan of The Nightmare Before Christmas. Nothing wrong with it. I just don't have an affinity for it either. 

9 people like this

2 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Favorite Halloween movie or TV episode?

Buffy Halloween episodes are pretty great. Just in general. 

Don't have a favorite Halloween movie. My friends will glare at me for this but... I'm not a huge fan of The Nightmare Before Christmas. Nothing wrong with it. I just don't have an affinity for it either. 

I'm never really understood the fanatic following of The Nightmare Before Christmas myself. It was an o.k. movie. At the risk of being pelted with imaginary vegetables, I will say there is a movie I understood the love and enjoyment of even less, and personally hated that has come up on this list so far - E.T.. Seriously. 

But then again, I tend not to agree with a lot of things in pop culture. 

8 people like this

Wait...there are rules?::o:

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

What's your favorite Halloween movie (or TV episode)? Have you/are you going to watch it this month?

I don't have any.

I enjoy genuinely scary movies when I can find them. Scary and gory are two vastly different things. Blood and gore does not scare me in the slightest. Nor does it gross me out.

I've seen and experienced enough injuries that my mind acknowledges the blood and then goes into 'fix it' mode.

7 people like this

38 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Wait...there are rules?::o:

I don't have any.

I enjoy genuinely scary movies when I can find them. Scary and gory are two vastly different things. Blood and gore does not scare me in the slightest. Nor does it gross me out.

I've seen and experienced enough injuries that my mind acknowledges the blood and then goes into 'fix it' mode.

I don't really like scary or gory movies in general. Gory is usually just gratuitous, although I don't mind once it enters the realm of satire (zombie comedies are fun). The blood and guts alone I don't find scary... just... they exist. I don't get scared at scary movies, and since they usually rely on fright for entertainment instead of story, I get bored. They're fun to watch with a jumpy friend though! 

Exception to the gory part is that I hate watching scenes involving fingernail damage. Not based on fear just on grossness. 

8 people like this

On 10/4/2017 at 5:41 AM, Crowley said:

Question for Wednesday, October 4th: What's your favorite song for the season? Why? Any special memories attached to it?

Not really a song, but a collection of spooky stories and sound effects: Chilling, Thrilling Sounds Of The Haunted House, from Disneyland Records.  I had that record as a child, and played the sound effects side for the trick-or-treaters every Halloween for a number of years.  The last scream on the screams track always got to me...

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for Thursday October 5th: What's your favorite Halloween movie (or TV episode)? Have you/are you going to watch it this month?

Oregon Public Broadcasting has a tradition of playing George Romero's Night of the Living Dead pretty much every Halloween.  Somehow I always end up watching it.  In the dark.  Alone.  The kids won't watch it with me, even though the oldest is in college.  What a bunch of boo-cats!

Update: Oh, it's not on the schedule this year.  Boo!

7 people like this

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

Corpse Bride and the Summer camp episode of Psych. I've already watched corpse bride once this month and I'm having a psych party soon and we'll watch that episode then.

7 people like this

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

Hocus Pocus. It's always been a favorite and now that I have it on DVD I try to watch it every October (and maybe other times of the year on occasion). I'm also very attached to Nightmare Before Christmas. Though I allow myself to watch that one no matter what time of year it is. 

6 people like this