Crowley

Getting to know each other, October edition

620 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, redambrosia said:

My husband does the same thing. The one time we did go to a haunted corn maze he nearly decked one guy. 

Heck, the one time I managed to jump out and scare him he almost punched me.

Its not fair. He can scare me all the time, but I can't scare him :unsure:

See, since scaring me is dangerous I treat scaring everyone else as dangerous. Since scaring me is no fun for me, I don't scare other people.

Hubby is welcome to go to such events with friends. But he no longer tries to drag me along.

4 people like this

Question for Tuesday October 10th:

Vampires don't like garlic. Werewolves are hurt by silver. Demons have issues with salt and holy water. Ghosts and fay dislike iron. How prepared are you for attack by supernatural monsters? 

(don't feel limited to the creatures listed above)

Edited by Crowley
8 people like this

4 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Vampires don't like garlic. Werewolves are hurt by silver. Demons have issues with salt and holy water. Ghosts and fay dislike iron. How prepared are you for attack by supernatural monsters? 

• Vampires are also the horny dogs of the supernatural world. Hit 'em with a hose (running water) and you're fine. This does mean that they're more of a danger in winter than in summer.
  • Werewolves seem to have power under a full moon but not so much under the sun. Testing has shown this to be a UV light issue. My UV flashlight should solve that.
  • Demons seem mostly interested in their co-religionists, so that's a problem (and a job) for somebody else.
  • And I always have a knife.

I think I'm fairly well off.

9 people like this

3 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I'm at work right now so... not very prepared.  Unless I can disgust supernatural monsters by presenting them with books on Perl and PowerShell.  I brought in my book on using regular expressions.  Maybe that would work.  (If you're not in IT, regular expressions are powerful and arcane, approaching computerized deep magic.  Perl is notorious for being arcane and incomprehensible (maybe unfairly since that's a fault of the programmer, not the language).)

At home, I think we have a head of garlic, assuming we haven't used it for cooking.  There's also a jar of minced garlic in the fridge.  We have plenty of salt, kosher and otherwise, and I have some old iron plant hangers that could be repurposed if necessary (or just used for bludgeoning).  I'm not sure about silver but I have even more books on Perl at home so maybe those would suffice.

8 people like this

Vampires: I have garlic, both in the frdge and in the garden (reminds me that I will need to harvest it).  Also I have stakes in the form of wooden arrows and tomato stakes.

Werewolves: no silver weapons.  Might have a silver plated pin.  I think I'll have to get by with the steak in the fridge and a copious amount of "Whose a good boy?  You're a good boy!"

Demons: plenty of salt.  several bibles.  Don't think I have any holy water, but I wouldn't put it past my wife to have some.  Worse comes to worse I could invite my wife's aunt, Sister Mary Francis to help out.

ghosts and Fae:  Iron I gots.  Also for the fae, I can turn my clothes inside out and I have ash trees available.

8 people like this

15 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I have a few cloves of garlic around. I think the better trick to escape a vampire (assuming super old style myth) is to spill some small items by them. I'd throw my beadwork at them and they'd have to count each tiny bead. Seasame Street was quite clever making the Count a vampire!

Werewolves? I have some silver, but none is stabbable. I think I'd have better luck trapping local squirrels and using them as gift-skittles. Maybe I could attach a silver chain to an arrow on my recurve? Bad gamble.

Demons? Got salt. No holy water. What sort of demon, anyway?

Good against fey. Got rock hammers and crow bars!

7 people like this

26 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Here in my office? Um.... I could perhaps show them a threatening YouTube video. :unsure:

At home, I have a cast Iron skillet which is unwieldy, but plenty heavy enough to knock out a fairy. Garlic is also in plentiful supply for Western vampires. I have rice to fend off the Jiangshi, but I never remember if it's the right kind (probably not).

Werewolves may be the big problem. I'm not sure there is anything even remotely threatening and silver coated in my house. Perhaps I'll investigate my options ahead of the next full moon.

I also can make fire using the kitchen stove, should I have to scare off Frankenstein's monster. ::P:

ETA: Oh yes, I have plenty of salt at home too, should it come to it. Not so much with the holy water, but it is what it is.

Edited by klarg1
6 people like this

28 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I'm good with the garlic but I'm pretty well screwed when it comes to everything else.

5 people like this

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Supernatural, living impaired creatures sense in me a kindred spirit. SO they have left me to my own devices for all these long decades.

8 people like this

Bring it.

SAPS4.jpg The Super-Abnormal Phenomena Survival Kit. Don't leave home without it.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
14 people like this

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Garlic and crucifies I have, the cast iron skillets are heavy but present. slat of course, within arms reach, silver .. nope nothing that  I can point to as silver, I dont think I have any pre-1965 coins for example.   I own two gold coins... they are in a safety deposit box.. 

I saw a life hack, where you inscribe a copy of the supernatural (TV series) demon trap on the bottom of your salt canister, so you don't have to draw it from memory.  

Edited by Evilhalfling
6 people like this

- Vampires:  I go through 5 to 10 heads of Garlic a week.  I buy it in bulk at Sam's club.  I'm also a woodworker and have crosses in every room of the house.  Covered.

- Werewolves:  I have a silver foundry in my basement and the means to make and use my own silver ammo.  Covered.

- Demons: I have a sodium deficiency, and so carry salt packets with me for consumption when needed.  I am also a Child of God; protected by the light of Christ.  Covered.

- Ghosts and Fey: You cannot get more than 15 feet from a sword in my house, all made from varying degrees of steel which are still iron.  I also do most of my cooking in cast iron. Covered.

10 people like this

I'll just keep crawling; it works.

7 people like this

I have a really stabby silver fork. 

Oh, and garlic. Can't cook without that. And salt, plenty of salt.

I have a few cast iron frying pans, so if it came to it I could duel wield them. 

Hey, does potassium chloride have any effect on them? I have that too.

8 people like this

I've got the garlic and the salt, but no silver or iron, so I'm partially covered.

Knowing my luck though, I'd probably be attacked by something obscure with vaguely defined weaknesses.

9 people like this