Crowley

Getting to know each other, October edition

658 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Greatings gentle beings! Once again, I, the Haminister of Truth dons the sacred robes of the Quisitor for this the spookiest of months, and also the month with the high holy week of ReaperCon!

Question for Tuesday, October 2nd:

Pumpkin Spice season is upon us. What is your favorite autumnal food, drink, and treat?

Autumn

Food: Boerenkool Stamppot / Kale, Mashed Potatoes and Bacon mixed together with a smoked sausage on top and mustard.

Drink: Hot Chocolate, preferably with rum and whipped cream.

Treat: Speculaas / Spiced Bisquit

Spekulatius_four_pieces_of.jpg

12 people like this

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Greatings gentle beings! Once again, I, the Haminister of Truth dons the sacred robes of the Quisitor for this the spookiest of months, and also the month with the high holy week of ReaperCon!

Pumpkin Spice season is upon us. What is your favorite autumnal food, drink, and treat?

Treat: Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread. 

Drink: Apple cider

Food: Turkey "pot pie" with drop-biscuits on top instead of pie crust. 

9 people like this

Yay! Fall time, meaning here in Texas it might be safe to go outside for an extended time and not suffer heat stroke. 

Autumn Favorites:

Food: Homemade Chili 

Drink: Spiced apple cider

Treat: Caramel apples

12 people like this

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Can't think of any autumnal foods, I don't really do things seasonally.

6 people like this

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

I make the BEST pumpkin pie ever. People get angry at me when I won't make one for them, and are often willing to pay me $20 each for the things.

18 people like this

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

Pecan pie and salted caramel hot chocolate.

ETA: Applesauce. Our friend does tons of canning and he usually gives us some of what he makes. He also makes delicious alcohol soaked cherries.

Edited by SparrowMarie
7 people like this

Is there really anything seasonal here? I suppose Thanksgiving turkey is on the list, as well as pumpkin pie.

Tried a single pumpkin pie spice latte to see how it was; it immediately made me want to put on leggings and Uggs.:lol:

For a real treat, for sugar and cinnamon toast I substitute the latter with pumpkin pie spice, and it makes all the difference. I highly suggest you do the same.

10 people like this

I've been in Los Angeles for the past 7 falls so this is the first real autumn I've had since I lived in San Jose/Fremont. But I still remember some of the cooler weather things.

Foods:

Ah, foods. I'll start making stew again soon. Also spice cookies. And rather than pumpkin pie, might I introduce you to the concept of a Squash Pie. It's basically a pumpkin pie made with butternut squash. It has a nuttier flavor, it actually tastes like something more than a vehicle to bring spices to your mouth. Also pie crust cookies!

Drink: autumn beers. Apple cider. Fall is also the season my dad would clean out his wine closet to make room for all the new wines he just bought :wub: 'Tis the season to help my dad drink ::D:

Treat: I do look forward to candy corn. But sugar's been tasting strange this past year, way too sweet. I'm living in a somewhat dry state now so maybe all this red wine I had shipped in will be this year's big treat ::P:

What I'm most looking forward to is all the amazon gift cards that traditionally get thrown my way right after Halloween when my personal solstice occurs. Because my family has no idea what to get me and I can use it all to acquire a pile of parts for my 'build a computer before the laptop dies' project.

10 people like this

Apples, apple cider, caramel apples, apple butter...huh. I wonder if there is a pattern there? My favorite fall event growing up was also the Apple Festival <.< >.> can you tell I grew up in a place with lots and lots of orchards?

...and now I need to go shopping for lots and lots of apple products

10 people like this

In terms of specifically autumnal? Probably Apple Cider. But honestly, there isn't a whole lot I associate with "autumn", though obviously Turkey Day falls in Autumn so that probably counts. Pumpkin spice is . . . ok. I don't mind it, but I also don't lose my sugar honey ice tea over it.

9 people like this

handmade pumpkin scones, which are made with real pumpkin puree, which isn't made from real pumpkins...

8 people like this

Don’t really have seasonal favorites but Woodchuck’s “tastes just like apple pie” cider is pretty yummy. Chocolate is always a favorite treat. Just keep that pumpkin pie spiced stuff away from me. 

7 people like this

10/2: Drink: I actually really quite like Shipyard's Pumpkinhead beer, and Sam Adams' Oktoberfest is an excellent Märzen style.

Food: We're getting the time of year where I can start making chili again...I've won a couple small contests for my chili, and was asked to take over the chili contest at work after winning so much.

Treat: PIE.  I love this time of year, I get to start making pie again.  I make a drunken apple pie (there's a shot of bourbon in it) and I've been threatened that if I don't show up to certain gatherings with my friends with my pumpkin pie, I will be mercilessly shunned.  I'm not sure why, it's just the recipe from the Libby's Pumpkin can, but it's been proclaimed as one of my friend's favorite pumpkin pies, and I'm sworn to bring it to our friends-only-display-of-gluttony-the-week-before-thanksgiving, called Supergiving.

8 people like this

I haven't found a source in Austin yet, but when I was living in Illinois there was an apple orchard that did apple cider donuts. As to beverages I switch to darker beers and the occasional hot chocolate. A gentle reminder that pumpkin spice is not approved of by the Great Pumpkin so those partaking of it shall not receive a visitation no matter how sincere the pumpkin patch....

6 people like this

I keep wondering if I should be pedantic and point out that he who refuses pumpkin spice also refuses the pumpkin pie which uses the spice to its fullest potential.

But maybe those who refuse pumpkin spice would also refuse pumpkin pie. I know there are philistines out there who refuse pie. They are weird people who prefer cake.

7 people like this