Crowley

Getting to know each other, October edition

560 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for Tuesday October 10th:

Vampires don't like garlic. Werewolves are hurt by silver. Demons have issues with salt and holy water. Ghosts and fay dislike iron. How prepared are you for attack by supernatural monsters? 

(don't feel limited to the creatures listed above)

I'm sorry; if I'm presented with a vampire or werewolf or other supernatural creature, my first thought is going to be, "How do I end up 'cursed with awesome'?"  Not, "How do I fight this?"

7 people like this

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Hey, does potassium chloride have any effect on them? I have that too.

Fake salt only works on half-demons and demon spawn, I'm afraid.

5 people like this

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

Vampires don't like garlic. Werewolves are hurt by silver. Demons have issues with salt and holy water. Ghosts and fay dislike iron. How prepared are you for attack by supernatural monsters? 

Who needs all that when you got magic at your fingertips? :winkthumbs:

7 people like this

Well for vampires I should be good, I just ate some garlic stuffed olives last night and have a brand new jar in the fridge. Demons I'm also good on, tons of salt around here, lacking in the holy water department though. For werewolves...well I might have some silver jewelry laying around that I could part with, unless it's all just white gold. And for ghosts and fey I'm probably screwed. You'd think I'd have invested in a cast iron pan by now but I had to be born with an iron intolerance. Maybe that makes me a ghost or a fay...Now I must go question my existence. 

7 people like this

10/10: I have a salt shaker on my desk; otherwise, I'm up a proverbial creek without means of locomotion, I'm afraid.

8 people like this

I need to know.  Is anyone else thinking about acquiring a silvered weapon or some holy water because of this question?  Or is it just me?

10 people like this

I'm hurt by silver too, a skin allergy. And sunlight sucks, it makes me sneeze. What?

I have some heavy silver rings from the time when I was trying to control my allergy through constant exposure. Didn't work but I picked up a few scars. All but 2 have faded over time. I won't even use proper silverware anymore, it burns my lips.

Garlic I have, though. And salt. I don't have crucifixes or holy water but I have statuary to a few gods. And a bell. Do not underestimate the disruptive force of a bell. And if I need to I know how to bless oils.

I actually have a blue glass Nazar that my partner inherited from her Turkish grandmother so we're pretty well warded. I've performed exorcisms before and know how to adapt the ritual to other things. Demons also answer to displays of raw power and I know (or know where to find) many of their sigils so we're okay there.

I have a steel kukri I've taught myself how to use. I have a great deal of copper, a crystal ball, and a tarot deck old enough to vote. I can hold myself against ghosts.

Never dealt with fey. 

7 people like this

8 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I need to know.  Is anyone else thinking about acquiring a silvered weapon or some holy water because of this question?  Or is it just me?

Definitely not just you.

7 people like this

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

Who says the supernatural monsters are going to be attacking me? I can be an excellent team player....::D:

Oh alright, I'll be serious.

I have lots of garlic around; it gets used in a lot of what we cook. Nothing silver that I can think of, but not too worried about that.

Plenty of salt around, too.

We also have a cast iron (isn't it supposed to be cold iron, though?) pan, and enough steel combat knives to give everyone in the house 3 or 4.

A couple of really heavy axes, a few bludgeoning weapons, and the aforementioned knives for zombies, too.

The ability to make fire to deal with Wendigos.

5 people like this

51 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I bought an old silver knife years ago, and sharpened it with my dremel because of a question like this... Never did finish assembling the monster hunter kit. 

And to answer my own question, since my move I still have easy access to silver and steel knifes, garlic, and salt. My various other tools are all packed away. Thankfully human scale monsters rarely seem to bother NYC. 

6 people like this

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

Meh. Not a thing I worry about. I have tools and fire. Few things like fire.

6 people like this

34 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I bought an old silver knife years ago, and sharpened it with my dremel because of a question like this... Never did finish assembling the monster hunter kit. 

And to answer my own question, since my move I still have easy access to silver and steel knifes, garlic, and salt. My various other tools are all packed away. Thankfully human scale monsters rarely seem to bother NYC. 

Yeah, you're lucky enough to get King Kong, Godzilla, and the Staypuft Marshmellow man.::D:

6 people like this

I got a bucket of frozen garlic cloves in the freezer, a silver engagement ring (that I sometimes wear), and a big container of sea salt. For iron that I have at home (instead of storage at Pennsic), I'll have to go with some cast iron dutch ovens and skillets.

8 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Mack's?

In Londonderry?

No, I live down the street from Berlin Orchards in Berlin, MA. A little further down that street is the Nashoba Valley Winery in Bolton, MA. There's also the Tougas farm in Northborough that friends love going to because they have peaches and cherries, too.

And to get to Davis Megamaze, I just take a left at Berlin Orchards and head west a ways.

5 people like this

Out at the farm I'm prepared for almost anything. We eat a lot of garlic so there's a bunch of it around. I have a bunch of silver coins that my dad collected. Some are big late 1800 ones from the US that you could hurt someone with by throwing. Lots of pickling salt and table salt. Some friends of ours immigrated from Isreal and the lady's parents gave us "authentic" holy water from a monastery there. For iron I have tons of barb wire, steel gates, old machinery. As a last resort I also have a bunch of firearms, a sabre, 2 machetes, an old butcher knife that's practically a machete, a couple axes and the ultimate weapon... a new husqvarna chainsaw.

In town I have some salt, garlic and a box cutter. When supernatural comes to town I just need to last long enough to get to the farm.

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Not just you. I'm thinking I need to move some of my arsenal to town now. If nothing else I can use it to scare my [email protected]#$^ town drunk neighbour some more. He needs a dose of fear once in awhile to keep from doing stuff that ticks off my wife. If only he would figure out that she's the real scary one in our family and not me.

8 people like this

8 hours ago, Crowley said:

Not very.  I mean, there is some garlic on the counter in the kitchen and it has four doorways connecting to it (one being the garage and alternate escape route).  There is also several flavors of salt in easy reach of the garlic.  I do have a strong sturdy iron poker that was grandfathers and it has a pretty decent point and a hook near the tip... definitely one of my better survival weapons.  Holy water?  We don't boil the hell out of anything, so I guess I'm underprepared.

Zombies?  Yeah, we're better prepared for zombies.  Well, aside from a well stocked pantry and silent ammunition.  I could probably swing the Implements of myDoom for a good five minutes before I was too tired to keep them off anymore.  I also need new running shoes.  

Ok, so yeah.  In hind sight, I am ill prepared for anything supernatural happening anywhere near my house.

Oh... wait... I forgot the Big Freakin' Knives that my wife's grandfather made.  That would help cause it is lighter than the maul, the brush axe, the wood axe or any of the other longer weapons I have.  Still not enough, but better.  I could make it to work and get some lightweight hi-tech spears and better axes... and also the chainsaw protective equipment is good.

Edited by Grayfax
6 people like this