Crowley

Getting to know each other, October edition

621 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2017 at 4:48 AM, Crowley said:

Question for Monday, October 9th:

Have you visited any Haunted Houses, Corn Mazes, Apple orchards, and/or Ren Faires this year? Ever get scared/lost/snogged while visiting one?

I wish!  The family schedule is kind of preventing that this year, as there is no day of the week that everyone is free to go somewhere.

2 people like this

9 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for Tuesday October 10th:

Vampires don't like garlic. Werewolves are hurt by silver. Demons have issues with salt and holy water. Ghosts and fay dislike iron. How prepared are you for attack by supernatural monsters? 

(don't feel limited to the creatures listed above)

Vampires: I have garlic regularly in the kitchen, let's not forget they also don't like stake, and I have an abundance of those for driving into the ground and wrapping my plants up in winter...also I keep rice stockpiled, if you consider that good for the legend of vampires having arithmomania.
Werewolves: You mean brothers?
Demons: I have a wide variety of salts and in quantities that my house is saltier than my one ex.

Ghosts and fey: I have lots of iron around here, tent stakes, weapons, arrows...and if you talk a weakness for gold: I do maille work, I do have some gold rings. I think I'm covered well.

6 people like this

4 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I need to know.  Is anyone else thinking about acquiring a silvered weapon or some holy water because of this question?  Or is it just me?

Silvered weapon yeah. When I was silversmithing I considered making myself a silver dagger or stiletto. I don't think it would be too difficult, except for affording a lot of the metal. The stiletto is extra tempting because it could be hidden in a hair-do. But y'know.... I don't need much equipment to make a silver coated hat-pin that would do the same job. Get a long steel pin, silver plate it (woohoo electrochemistry - will have to refresh myself on that), and decorate. Voila, crazy narrow stiletto pretty much. 

Also occurs to me that outside of my Clerics, Paladins, and Deities D&D books, the only religious item I have is a small Star of David necklace. So if the vampires aren't the sort that have to count everything I'm kinda toast. 

7 people like this

11 hours ago, Crowley said:

Vampires don't like garlic. Werewolves are hurt by silver. Demons have issues with salt and holy water. Ghosts and fay dislike iron. How prepared are you for attack by supernatural monsters? 

I would be totally "type of confectionery which is made by mixing sugar, butter and milk"

3 people like this

We have garlic in the garden and the kitchen.

My late father was a goldsmith, so there is a reasonable amound of pointy silver in the place.  Not to mention what our firstborn called “Mom’s stash of rayguns and shivs” (although the serious swords and crossbows were given away when we had children).  In a pinch I can so something rude with the sharpened thick silver wire I use for silverpoint drawings.

Of course, that is assuming we would not be friendly to werewolves.

Plenty of salt of various kinds.  No holy water.

Some cold iron (see late father, above) and a good bit of cast iron, not to mention hand-forged iron nails in our Victorian pile, some of which have worked their ways out of the floors and walls and been wound with red silk thread.

Fennel in the garden.

What we lack:

Garlic-flavored Pam spray.  Always thought that would be the equivalent of mace to a vampire.

Holy symbols

10 people like this

Garlic: No problem, always have some in the kitchen; likewise for salt.

Iron: I cook with cast iron, and most of my kitchen knives are good, honest steel.

Holy water: .. not so much. But I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't fake it with saltwater and a squirt-gun.

Silver: ... I think so? Might have some soft-silver wire around, that might have some applications, but no way to turn it into sharp things. Maybe a chain...

As a rule, I prefer diplomacy to overwhelming force, where it can be made to work.

5 people like this

I don't own any silverware, so I'd be the guy the kids came to to ask... and I'd dig out a 1938 silver Mexican peso that is currently worth considerably more than face value, and then provide exposition as the coin got melted down and molded into a couple of bullets.

But first I'd want proof of the damn werewolf. I've had that peso since I was a kid!

8 people like this

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

Garlic-flavored Pam spray.  Always thought that would be the equivalent of mace to a vampire.

I like that idea. Also works as a flamethrower, which, as somebody upthread mentioned, is nearly always a good choice (probably not so much for demons, though).

6 people like this

On 10/9/2017 at 6:48 AM, Crowley said:

Question for Monday, October 9th:

Have you visited any Haunted Houses, Corn Mazes, Apple orchards, and/or Ren Faires this year? Ever get scared/lost/snogged while visiting one?

Not this year, or any recent ones for that matter.  The biggest reaction I've ever had was the occasional jump scare.

On 10/10/2017 at 8:11 AM, Crowley said:

I only have enough quantities of any of these materials to deal with small infant versions of these monsters. Except the werewolves.  I'm screwed with werewolves.  My only defense against werewolves would be to play the Monster Mash and hope they start dancing.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
6 people like this

Garlic and stakes: check

Silver in the form of silverware and coins: check

Holy water and blessed salt: check

Plenty of regular iron, but no cold iron. Hmmm, thanks for pointing out a weakness in my preps.

5 people like this

Question for Wednesday October 11th:

Night Gallery, Goosebumps, Kolchak the Night Stalker, The Real Ghostbusters, Supernatural, and so many more TV shows have explored horror on the small screen. What's your favorite? What was your least favorite? Why?

7 people like this

10/11: Stranger Things, it does an excellent horror pastiche with all the nostalgia for the 80s that I have.

5 people like this

28 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Question for Wednesday October 11th:

Night Gallery, Goosebumps, Kolchak the Night Stalker, The Real Ghostbusters, Supernatural, and so many more TV shows have explored horror on the small screen. What's your favorite? What was your least favorite? Why?

Never had any interest in horror-themed movies, TV shows, or RPGs.

5 people like this

I'm with Doug on this...

4 people like this