Crowley

Getting to know each other, October edition

563 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for Wednesday October 11th:

Night Gallery, Goosebumps, Kolchak the Night Stalker, The Real Ghostbusters, Supernatural, and so many more TV shows have explored horror on the small screen. What's your favorite? What was your least favorite? Why?

I can't believe no one has said Rick & Morty yet.  If you don't think that show is horror, you haven't been paying attention. :poke:

6 people like this

7 hours ago, Crowley said:

Night Gallery, Goosebumps, Kolchak the Night Stalker, The Real Ghostbusters, Supernatural, and so many more TV shows have explored horror on the small screen. What's your favorite? What was your least favorite? Why?

eh. horror is one of those things I'm really not interested in. I prefer seeing the trappings of horror rearranged into other genres. so Simpsons, tree house of horror, pick any of them from the first 8 years.

least favorite? x-files

5 people like this

On 10/10/2017 at 8:11 AM, Crowley said:

Question for Tuesday October 10th:

Vampires don't like garlic. Werewolves are hurt by silver. Demons have issues with salt and holy water. Ghosts and fay dislike iron. How prepared are you for attack by supernatural monsters? 

(don't feel limited to the creatures listed above)

The only thing I lack is holy water, but there's a church across the street so I'm in pretty good shape.

8 hours ago, Crowley said:

I don't watch much on the small screen, horror or otherwise, so I don't really have a list to choose from.

4 people like this

5 hours ago, TGP said:

I liked Kolchak, Buffy, and the animated Ghostbusters (but did someone tell me there were two opposed shows ? wyrde licensing shenanigans?) ...I liked the one I saw. 

There was a show in the 1970s named “The Ghost Busters”, which starred Larry Storch and one of the other guys from F Troop, and a person in a gorilla suit. They caught and destroyed ghosts. “Ghosts” also being things like vampires and werewolves and other living things. It was even worse than it sounds.

The movie was totally unrelated, but the filmmakers had to license the right to use the name for the title. Then the movie was a ridiculous success, and plans were made for a Saturday morning cartoon.

Well at that time, the rights to the original show were held by (IIRC) Filmation, makers of the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons, and they decided to capitalize on the movie’s success by launching their own cartoon based on the show. 

It was terrible. Even as a six year old, I was embarrassed to watch it.

Anyway, the movie-based cartoon was then named “The REAL Ghostbusters” to avoid confusion and also mock the competition. It lasted much longer than the other one.

As for the daily question, I’m partial to Grimm. It had an original premise and likeable characters for the most part.

Edited by Sophie was taken
6 people like this

2 hours ago, VitM said:

I can't believe no one has said Rick & Morty yet.  If you don't think that show is horror, you haven't been paying attention. :poke:

More like "black comedy," but you aren't wrong. Morty's thousand-yard stare at the end of "Rick Potion #9" creeped me out.

23 minutes ago, Sophie was taken said:

There was a show in the 1970s named “The Ghost Busters”, which starred Larry Storch and one of the other guys from F Troop, and a person in a gorilla suit. They caught and destroyed ghosts. “Ghosts” also being things like vampires and werewolves and other living things. It was even worse than it sounds.

The movie was totally unrelated, but the filmmakers had to license the right to use the name for the title. Then the movie was a ridiculous success, and plans were made for a Saturday morning cartoon.

Well at that time, the rights to the original show were held by (IIRC) Filmation, makers of the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons, and they decided to capitalize on the movie’s success by launching their own cartoon based on the show. 

It was terrible. Even as a six year old, I was embarrassed to watch it.

Anyway, the movie-based cartoon was then named “The REAL Ghostbusters” to avoid confusion and also mock the competition. It lasted much longer than the other one.

As for the daily question, I’m partial to Grimm. It had an original premise and likeable characters for the most part.

Sophie's take is accurate. In addition to THAT, the logo ghost for Ghostbusters brought the film under legal threat from the Casper The Friendly Ghost people, who felt that it bore too much resemblance to Casper's spooky uncles from the comic books.

6 people like this

52 minutes ago, Sophie was taken said:

I watched that show.

:thousand-yard-stare:

I know its theme song by heart, including the awful off-key singing of the leads.

While “Ghost Busters” was nowhere near as execrable as “F Troop”, no TV show with Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch can ever be said to be any good, exactly.

9 people like this

12 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I watched that show.

I know its theme song by heart, including the awful off-key singing of the leads.

While “Ghost Busters” was nowhere near as execrable as “F Troop”, no TV show with Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch can ever be said to be any good, exactly.

To be fair, both Storch and Tucker had reached a point in their respective careers where they were doing it for beer money and to stay busy. 

The gorilla was Bob Burns, noted film memorabilia collector and one of the top gorilla suit men working in the seventies. He mentioned that he tried to keep it low key, to avoid scene stealing from The Great Larry Storch And Forrest Tucker, until Tucker called him on it, explaining, "Dude, you know how some stars won't work with animals? Because they steal the show? YOU'RE THE ANIMAL. The kids watching this show never heard of F Troop. Go nuts. Don't worry about us."

7 people like this

6 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

To be fair, both Storch and Tucker had reached a point in their respective careers where they were doing it for beer money and to stay busy. 

The gorilla was Bob Burns, noted film memorabilia collector and one of the top gorilla suit men working in the seventies. He mentioned that he tried to keep it low key, to avoid scene stealing from The Great Larry Storch And Forrest Tucker, until Tucker called him on it, explaining, "Dude, you know how some stars won't work with animals? Because they steal the show? YOU'RE THE ANIMAL. The kids watching this show never heard of F Troop. Go nuts. Don't worry about us."

I only wish.

I remember being annoyed at the pretense that the gorilla was female. It appears to have been solely for the joke of the characters’ names: Storch was “Spencer”, the (ostensibly) female gorilla was “Tracey”, and Tucker was “Kong”.

That is the only joke I remember from the show.

6 people like this

The gorilla was female? 

And more importantly, would any woman, even a gorilla, be caught dead in a yellow propeller beanie?

4 people like this

11 hours ago, Crowley said:

I stopped watching a lot of horror shows a while back.

The only one I keep coming back to is Supernatural, and mostly because.. A: I want to know what nutty crap they got themselves ears-deep in THIS TIME, and .. how they get themselves out of it (and what new crap they get into in the process). Also, whasispants is Crowley, and I could watch Crowley for days. >.>

At the point where I noticed that a common movie trope got carried over to the small screen, I lost complete interest in most 'horror' shows; if there is a cat, it will probably die. I've got to a place where I can't /do that/ anymore. I don't know why. But it bugs me for days after if I get one of those. :/

5 people like this

27 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

I stopped watching a lot of horror shows a while back.

The only one I keep coming back to is Supernatural, and mostly because.. A: I want to know what nutty crap they got themselves ears-deep in THIS TIME, and .. how they get themselves out of it (and what new crap they get into in the process). Also, whasispants is Crowley, and I could watch Crowley for days. >.>

At the point where I noticed that a common movie trope got carried over to the small screen, I lost complete interest in most 'horror' shows; if there is a cat, it will probably die. I've got to a place where I can't /do that/ anymore. I don't know why. But it bugs me for days after if I get one of those. :/

Good to know... 

*makes a note*

7 people like this

20 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Good to know... 

*makes a note*

You aren't going to like how the previous season ended. 

However, that character... I mean... you.... are awesome. 

7 people like this

13 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I think I need to do a new one of these. She helped me come off my long hiatus and I'm back in the groove now. 

20170430_170159.jpg

To be honest, she looks like she's face palming. Probably embarrassed by the 11th doctor angel episode. The first angel episode was super creepy. Even better because it didn't focus on the Doctor. But that 2nd one was too much. Bah.

6 people like this

On 10/11/2017 at 7:13 AM, Crowley said:

Shock theater & Zacherley At Large were my favorites as a boy. Part of their charm was that I had to sneak view them as they were on after my appointed bedtime. Both were humorous takes on old horror movies.

Zacherley.jpg

6 people like this

Question for Thursday, October 12th:

Dracula, the werewolf, the mummy (among others) are all iconic monsters. What monster deserves to be added to that rarefied pantheon? Is there one that needs to be kicked back down into the crypt?

5 people like this