Crowley

Getting to know each other, October edition

621 posts in this topic

I love all the old Universal Monsters. I personally don't feel that any need to be added. 

5 people like this

12 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Question for Thursday, October 12th:

Dracula, the werewolf, the mummy (among others) are all iconic monsters. What monster deserves to be added to that rarefied pantheon? Is there one that needs to be kicked back down into the crypt?

Vampires are overdone, and need to be retired for a bit. 

Faerie monster dont don’t get enough attention. More pooka, Red caps, and such. 

8 people like this

14 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Dracula, the werewolf, the mummy (among others) are all iconic monsters. What monster deserves to be added to that rarefied pantheon? Is there one that needs to be kicked back down into the crypt?

As noted above, I'm not much interested in horror movies. Adding monsters to that sort of movie is probably something best left to people who do want to see them. People seem to work pretty well as antagonists, even if the people are OrcsKlingons.

If I never see another sociopathic serial thrill killer, zombie, or cthulhoid tentacled horror, that will be quite soon enough. There wasn't really that much to say about them to begin with, and after the dozenth time that each and every thing* has been said, I think we could probably stop now.

* Hoax Hotel (immature rude language warning) on YouTube is corrupting my language. ::P:

5 people like this

20 minutes ago, Crowley said:

As long as zombies leave the friggin' spotlight, I don't really care. Though it would be cool if more werecats, werebears, and other non-canine wereanimals showed up more often. 

7 people like this

36 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I think the pantheon of classic movie monsters is fine the way it is.  Let the other terrors occupy their own niche groupings.  I'm over zombies though.

6 people like this

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Being Human did well with vampire, ghost, werewolf as their main three.

I like zombie comedies, but honestly, those are what I'd take down a peg. Zombie horror/suspence stuff is pretty lame imo. 

Fey could use more attention. I'd also like seeing elementals - nature gone wild stuff.

And liches. Those things are scary. Need them higher in the crypt!

Edited by Cyradis
6 people like this

41 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I think we should quantify that a bit further.  Which of these is the iconic monster for each?  I certainly have Dracula's that are revered and some that are reviled.  I am even more picky when it comes to my werewolves.  The ancient mummy is less scary than the Mummy of Arnold Vosloo.  

In general, I find Vampires to be top of the heap scary things (though, there are scarier things or more evil things... but they blend the two so well).  A well done werewolf, say the Van Helsing werewolf is almost as good as a World of Darkness war form, but still not as scary.  I can't think of a single werewolf that actually lives up to the World of Darkness werewolves, which is sad to me.  

The second issue is that so many of the iconic "other" scary things are so much more than human that they don't fit into the category very well.  In fact, I would say The Mummy falls more into that category because of mystical might than he does into the scary.  Doesn't mean he isn't full blown horror.  The Spider Queen fits this role as well.  Spiders are scary, but they don't get a build up of lingering dread and revulsion.  Lolth can manage that though, but then you are in a different realm and dealing with Knarthex' kin which is part of the amped up feelings.  We have to identify on some human level with the monster for them to really become the being of horror that led to the rise of Dracula and some of the werewolves.  

So, I guess I'm wondering if we humanize other monsters?  I'm not thinking of any currently, but if I do throughout the day, I'll come back and add it...

7 people like this

I'd happily add vampires to my "done now; go away" list.

Except for Lost Boys, of course, and possibly the original Buffy movie.

But I think that puts us firmly out of the horror genre.

4 people like this

I just can't get behind zombies as being scary.  I mean, its a slow moving, mindless creature.  Just take a few steps backward and lock some doors people.

Zombie-Apocalypse-Best-Demotivational-Posters.jpg

Some of the Cthulhu stuff has been around awhile and could definitely reach an elevated status:

1bc455ab81c687860e175b5a8a91a45e.jpg

6 people like this

I could stand to see some more succubi (preferable more Sophies).  But other than that, nothing for entertainment.

4 people like this

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

I'm not certain anything needs to be added to the list of iconic monsters.  Except maybe so-called software developers.  It's been one of those mornings.

I'm done with the zombie/ghoul apocalypse trope.

5 people like this

The real focus in a well done Zombie story shouldn’t be the Zombies. It should be the people. My favorite Zombie novels are set a generation after the zombie virus and life.. has gone on. Most people telecommute. You pay higher home owner’s insurance if your house has wide window as opposed to modern grouped arrow-slit windows. Max capacity for buildings is set by the CDC not the fire marshal...

8 people like this

Just now, Argentee said:

The real focus in a well done Zombie story shouldn’t be the Zombies. It should be the people. My favorite Zombie novels are set a generation after the zombie virus and life.. has gone on. Most people telecommute. You pay higher home owner’s insurance if your house has wide window as opposed to modern grouped arrow-slit windows. Max capacity for buildings is set by the CDC not the fire marshal...

What novel is this?

2 people like this

11 minutes ago, rfusca said:

What novel is this?

Feed and it’s sequels by Mira Grant. I love the world building. 

Edited to add the opening lines:

Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot—in this case, my brother Shaun—deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens. As if we didn’t already know what happens when you mess with a zombie: The zombie turns around and bites you, and you become the thing you poked. This isn’t a surprise. It hasn’t been a surprise for more than twenty years, and if you want to get technical, it wasn’t a surprise then. 

Edited by Argentee
Trying to hook people into reading the book.
9 people like this

45 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I could stand to see some more succubi (preferable more Sophies).  But other than that, nothing for entertainment.

Agreed. Lost Girl was.... entertaining. But that's about it. More succubi/incubi would be great. 

I agree with @rfusca on more Lovecraftian horrors. I think we'll have issues with his obsession with otherworldly geometry though. 

5 people like this