Crowley

Getting to know each other, October edition

658 posts in this topic

Where does Freddy Kreugar fit in to the cards system? He is the one with long spikey metal fingers.. ?? ..or is that someonething different?

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, TGP said:

Where does Freddy Kreugar fit in to the cards system? He is the one with long spikey metal fingers.. ?? ..or is that someonething different?

The Freddy Krueger mythos is that he was a serial killer with a glove that had steak knives welded onto the fingertips. He was caught, but got off on a technicality, and so the parents of his victims rounded him up and burned him alive. Years later, he came back as a ghost with the power to invade dreams and kill you in there.

That makes him a Ghost, in my book, but it's been argued he deserves a category of his own.

4 people like this

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for Thursday, October 12th:

Dracula, the werewolf, the mummy (among others) are all iconic monsters. What monster deserves to be added to that rarefied pantheon? Is there one that needs to be kicked back down into the crypt?

Creature from the Black Lagoon is an iconic, in my books. Come to think of it, a lot of the Bonesylvanians are. ::P:

I believe that it's high time that the Lovecraftian Mythos get time in the spotlight (so to speak), but apparently there's been some resistance to this. Guillermo Del Toro has been trying  forever to get a movie of At the Mountains of Madness, but apparently Universal executives don't seem to get the premise of it (wanting it to be PG-13 instead of R, preferring a happy ending, etc.), so they haven't greenlit production.

7 people like this

49 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Funny thing? Whole reason Cthulhu got popular was because he was a departure from the other traditional ghosties and spookies... he was something different.

The same could be said for many of the “classic” monsters.  Almost all of them were new and exotic when introduced.

Vampires were alien and unfamiliar to most Western Europeans in the nineteenth century.

Zombies were a piece of Caribbean slave folklore. 

Frankenstein’s monster was literally one woman’s creation based on new discoveries in science, electronics, and medicine.

Mummies as monsters were a new idea in the 1930s based on the discovery of King Tutankhamun’s tomb in the 1920s (So, for that matter, was all of Lovecraft’s xenophobic anti-pseudo-Egyptian hysteria).

Werewolves ... Yeah, okay, I will give you werewolves.

8 people like this

24 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Creature from the Black Lagoon is an iconic, in my books. Come to think of it, a lot of the Bonesylvanians are. ::P:

I believe that it's high time that the Lovecraftian Mythos get time in the spotlight (so to speak), but apparently there's been some resistance to this. Guillermo Del Toro has been trying  forever to get a movie of At the Mountains of Madness, but apparently Universal executives don't seem to get the premise of it (wanting it to be PG-13 instead of R, preferring a happy ending, etc.), so they haven't greenlit production.

I think that's kinda how they got to be Bonesylvanians. Maximum iconic appeal while not treading on anyone's IP.

I agree about At The Mountains Of Madness. It's a prime example of how the director understands the material, but the executives do not. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I realize that del Toro, as a rule, does not DO "happy endings." The Hellboy movies are the closest he's ever gotten.

22 minutes ago, Pingo said:

The same could be said for many of the “classic” monsters.  Almost all of them were new and exotic when introduced.

Vampires were alien and unfamiliar to most Western Europeans in the nineteenth century.

Zombies were a piece of Caribbean slave folklore. 

Frankenstein’s monster was literally one woman’s creation based on new discoveries in science, electronics, and medicine.

Mummies as monsters were a new idea in the 1930s based on the discovery of King Tutankhamun’s tomb in the 1920s (So, for that matter, was all of Lovecraft’s xenophobic anti-pseudo-Egyptian hysteria).

Werewolves ... Yeah, okay, I will give you werewolves.

True... but all the Universal monsters predating 1941 were rather elderly ideas rooted in the idea of Evil With A Capital E. Vampires were cursed with undeath. Werewolves were cursed with lycanthropy. Frankenstein usurped the power of God. Mummies, while a newer idea based on a topical fad, were still Cursed With Undeath. Zombies were Black Magic!

Around that same time, though, Lovecraft introduced the idea that his horrors weren't actually EVIL, any more than YOU are when you lay down roach baits or pave over an anthill. His critters were alien beyond understanding, and if they had a morality, it was something incomprehensible to human beings. And in the 1930s, THAT was a revolutionary new idea!

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
7 people like this

The Headless Horseman!!!  

Duh! How could we forget an iconic scary figure at this time of year?!?

And, depending on the legend, could use the carved pumpkin as a weapon of destruction.  Or ride you down.  But hearing the hooves coming in the middle of the night and then seeing some guy riding without a head would be freakin' scary.  

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Also:

whatshisname, whathisname, whatshisname ... never say it three times. 

Candyman?  

Beetlejuice?

Baby Blue?

Bloody Mary?

Edited by Grayfax
7 people like this

1 hour ago, Grayfax said:

The Headless Horseman!!!  

Duh! How could we forget an iconic scary figure at this time of year?!?

And, depending on the legend, could use the carved pumpkin as a weapon of destruction.  Or ride you down.  But hearing the hooves coming in the middle of the night and then seeing some guy riding without a head would be freakin' scary.  

Candyman?  

Beetlejuice?

Baby Blue?

Bloody Mary?

2. I listed The Named Thing as a category of Ghost, albeit one that could use its own card; there must be a half dozen critters or more who show up if you say their names three times, with or with out a mirror.

1. The Headless Horseman is either a Ghost, or a big Irish dude playing a terribly cruel prank, depending on how you interpret the original story. On the other hand, it's Washington Irving, and it's one of America's oldest ghost stories, so why not?

0. Can't believe I forgot about Slender Man.

Slender Man has terrorized a few grades worth of school kids now, despite the fact that he's remarkably young for a boogeyman, having first appeared in 2009 on the Something Awful forums, by most accounts. I'm not sure where to put him. Eldritch Abomination? Demon? Or.... Urban Legend Made Realish, which would include both Slendy and the Blair Witch, at this point...

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
5 people like this

12 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for Thursday, October 12th:

Dracula, the werewolf, the mummy (among others) are all iconic monsters. What monster deserves to be added to that rarefied pantheon? Is there one that needs to be kicked back down into the crypt?

I'm old enough that anything by Hammer Horror is a classic and anything else is too new to be classic...

Loved the Hammer Horror movies so much as a kid.  Not really horror movies and more monster movies but they were so much fun.

6 people like this

6 minutes ago, Jokemeister said:

I'm old enough that anything by Hammer Horror is a classic and anything else is too new to be classic...

Loved the Hammer Horror movies so much as a kid.  Not really horror movies and more monster movies but they were so much fun.

Oh look, Hammer is still around. :)

(This seems to be a sort of live immersive vampire show, set within a genuine Victorian theater, and yes, it actually is produced by Hammer.)

6 people like this

2 hours ago, Jokemeister said:

The first Nightmare on Elm Street movie, and by extension Freddy Krueger, is not QUITE old enough to run for President. Which makes me ashamed to admit I saw it in a theatre. Had Johnny Depp in it!

Saw all the Hammer movies on late night TV when I was a kid; at age nine, I was convinced Christopher Lee was gonna crawl in my bedroom and eat me.

7 people like this

10 hours ago, Grayfax said:

Candyman?  

Beetlejuice?

Baby Blue?

Bloody Mary?

Biggie Smalls?

4 people like this

I think boogie men (like slender man) are in their own category. Some kind of spirit, depending on the lore it's fey, demonic, or ghostly, that if you don't guard against it, it will get you. A thing that dwells in the shadows and haunts children who don't do as they're told, snatches them away to a world of torment. Creepy af.

8 people like this

11 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I don't know about you guys on subs, but in the surface navy, that was the 'bad news' meal, as in: Here's some really good food. Oh, by the way, deployment just got extended.

For us, it was usually reserved for half-way night (for non-Navy folks, that is the point designated as half-way through a 6+ month deployment).  I've had plenty of times where the half-way night wasn't really; because we were on mission and couldn't spare the time at the actual half-way point to celebrate, or because afterwards we got extended.  Worst was when we had a week and a week and a half to go after we left France and sudden had to divert north for....reasons.  Most of the guys on board only had enough cigarettes for the trip home.  The unplanned extra two weeks led to a classic case of supply and demand.  by the end of the run, even the nasty French cigs were going for $5 apiece.

5 people like this

15 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

For us, it was usually reserved for half-way night (for non-Navy folks, that is the point designated as half-way through a 6+ month deployment).  I've had plenty of times where the half-way night wasn't really; because we were on mission and couldn't spare the time at the actual half-way point to celebrate, or because afterwards we got extended.  Worst was when we had a week and a week and a half to go after we left France and sudden had to divert north for....reasons.  Most of the guys on board only had enough cigarettes for the trip home.  The unplanned extra two weeks led to a classic case of supply and demand.  by the end of the run, even the nasty French cigs were going for $5 apiece.

That was weird. 

Followed the backtrail of this subject to the Randomness Thread. 

Does that mean we need to look for the Weekend Question in TRT? :poke:

2 people like this

Question for Friday the 13th of October:

friggatriskaidekaphobia/paraskevidekatriaphobia is the fear of Friday the 13th... Did you see the movies? Did they scare you? Did you ever see the TV show? (if not, it would make a great theme for an RPG campaign!)

What does scare you? 

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

That was weird. 

Followed the backtrail of this subject to the Randomness Thread. 

Does that mean we need to look for the Weekend Question in TRT? :poke:

Friday question first, then the weekend question for this week! But making you all hunt for it... Now there's an idea...

Edited by Crowley
8 people like this