Crowley

Getting to know each other, October edition

658 posts in this topic

Just now, NebulousMissy said:

I keep wondering if I should be pedantic and point out that he who refuses pumpkin spice also refuses the pumpkin pie which uses the spice to its fullest potential.

But maybe those who refuse pumpkin spice would also refuse pumpkin pie. I know there are philistines out there who refuse pie. They are weird people who prefer cake.

If the only choice is Pumpkin Pie, sure.  I'll have some with coffee.  If I have a choice, though, I'll usually take Pecan (1st), Coconut Cream (2nd), Apple (3rd), Cherry (4th), Chocolate (5th).  Now, if it is a race between Pumpkin and Rubarb... well... I've never been faced with it.  And if you have basic cake or any of the pies listed? I'll have pie, thank you... unless of course, it is German Chocolate Cake... in which case it falls in just behind Pecan Pie.

Picky? Me? No, not really... but maybe moreso in this arena...

7 people like this

5 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

I keep wondering if I should be pedantic and point out that he who refuses pumpkin spice also refuses the pumpkin pie which uses the spice to its fullest potential.

But maybe those who refuse pumpkin spice would also refuse pumpkin pie. I know there are philistines out there who refuse pie. They are weird people who prefer cake.

I will refuse pumpkin pie. I will also refuse pecan pie. That's because, in the world of pie, they're the ugly cousins that you really never want to see but who show up at every reunion anyway.

But give me Key Lime, or Cheesecake*, or Apple (with cheddar, of course), or Lemon Meringue, or Cherry, or any of a wide variety of other pies (the good pies), and I'll jump at the chance.

Give me the choice of a good pie and a yellow cake with way too much creamy frosting, and I'll say, "Yes."

::D:

* In spite of the name "cheesecake" is clearly a pie.

7 people like this

...despite my love for apples, I believe apple pie to be a sin. (Then again, I still haven't had one that didn't add much, much too much sugar.) Cooked apples are sweet enough without sugar! Don't taint the yummy!

5 people like this

49 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

* In spite of the name "cheesecake" is clearly a pie.

This is true.

7 people like this

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

Greatings gentle beings! Once again, I, the Haminister of Truth dons the sacred robes of the Quisitor for this the spookiest of months, and also the month with the high holy week of ReaperCon!

Question for Tuesday, October 2nd:

Pumpkin Spice season is upon us. What is your favorite autumnal food, drink, and treat?

About the only seasonal fall item I have is fresh cider from the local orchard.  Most of the other "seasonal" items are available year round or I just don't like. 

5 people like this

I live in the middle of apple country...

Mulled

Fresh

Cider...

And pumpkinsare for carving 

Not eating...

8 people like this

My preference is for pie. But I'm spoiled, my grandfather always made the pies. To give you an idea what that means, my sister used his pie recipes to get all her baking jobs. She's currently an executive pastry chef in Cupertino because of his apple pie (and his gingerbread).

Cake is... nice. But it's just cake. Pie is that thing to which praises are sang. Apple pie, berry pie, strawberry pie, banana pie, pumpkin pie, cheesecake, it matters not.

That reminds me... I need to buy lard so I can make a pie ::P:

9 people like this

7 hours ago, Crowley said:

Pumpkin Spice season is upon us. What is your favorite autumnal food, drink, and treat?

Ya know, I could have sworn today was Monday - it sure as hell felt like a Monday... :wacko:

Back when I had teeth, I used to enjoy a good caramel apple. Being a New englander, I am of course partial to all sorts of apple products - particularly hot apple cider. (Hard cider isn't bad either, lol.)

7 people like this

Oh yeah. Apple pie. By apple pie, I mean spice pie with apples. I should make that, and get my tongue numb again. CINNAMOOOOOOOONNN. 

Pumpkin spice is a lie. That is clearly chai spices put to another use. I also need some chai tea. And chai is good for all seasons, but does seem extra autumny. 

One of my favorite seasonal beers is out - Avery's Chai Ale. Chai tea in a brown ale. It is delightful. No pumpkin. Just spiced tea-beer. 

5 people like this

Is there such a thing as pumpkin cake? Or carrot pie? Just curiosity due to people's answers.

Not much traditional on my family,  but I tend to enjoy the seasonal beers from Blue Moon around this time. And some pumpkin pie from my coworker who loves to bake them. 

5 people like this

A pumpkin cake seems possible. Perhaps a carrot pie. 

All that is needed to be a pie is a bottom crust, and being baked (I think - might not need the baked part). Quiche is technically a pie, as is pizza. Knowledge product of looking up pies to make for pi-day so we could have pie for every meal. 

6 people like this

7 hours ago, Crowley said:

Pumpkin Pie

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

43 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Ya know, I could have sworn today was Monday - it sure as hell felt like a Monday... :wacko:

I wondered if anyone would notice that. And yeah, totally a Monday.

38 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Oh yeah. Apple pie. By apple pie, I mean spice pie with apples. I should make that, and get my tongue numb again. CINNAMOOOOOOOONNN. 

Pumpkin spice is a lie. That is clearly chai spices put to another use. I also need some chai tea. And chai is good for all seasons, but does seem extra autumny. 

One of my favorite seasonal beers is out - Avery's Chai Ale. Chai tea in a brown ale. It is delightful. No pumpkin. Just spiced tea-beer. 

Oh, I'm gonna have to find that beer.... Also, i wonder if anyone has ever made a pumpkin pie with Chai spices... 

Just now, TGP said:

Pumpkin Pie

As food, drink, and treat? I mean, perfectly valid answers, just curious. 

Edited by Crowley
4 people like this

7 hours ago, Sophie was taken said:

Treat: baked apples, or pumpkin pie. The latter had the slight advantage of being hated by the rest of the household, which means more for me!

Mince Pie.

I'm the only one in our family that likes it.

They just don't appreciate how good it is with a nice sharp cheddar and a mug of hot spiced cider.

GEM

7 people like this

2 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Mince Pie.

I'm the only one in our family that likes it.

They just don't appreciate how good it is with a nice sharp cheddar and a mug of hot spiced cider.

GEM

YES

7 people like this