Crowley

Getting to know each other, October edition

658 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, hiddenone32 said:

The closest thing I get to a treat is I always bake a ham to take to the family Thanksgiving and Christmas get-togethers.  Which reminds me...  I need to bake one soon for umm...  Practice.  Yeah that's what we'll call it.

Ham:

Bacon without the racing stripes or as much horsepower.

GEM

8 people like this

30 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

Is there such a thing as pumpkin cake?

Yes. 

Starbucks sells that year-round @ about $2 a slice. Dunkin-Donuts currently has a Pumpkin Cake donut (~$1) on offer. It is Pumpkin Cake in the shape of a donut.

So, sure. Pumpkin Cake is a thing. 

7 minutes ago, Crowley said:

[Re: Pumpkin Pie...]

As food, drink, and treat? I mean, perfectly valid answers, just curious. 

Food. 

Because it is a pie. With a crust. :huh: 

5 people like this

44 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Pumpkin spice is a lie. That is clearly chai spices put to another use. I also need some chai tea. And chai is good for all seasons, but does seem extra autumny.

Eh?  While it is true that Masala chai (spiced-tea) is based off of an ancient recipe, the tea version we know is fairly modern and arose from the British and their tea plantations of the 1830s.  Even then it didn't really gain popularity as a drink until the 1900s.  "Pompkin" pie goes back to at least 1790, though with a slightly different spice mix than the modern "traditional" pumpkin spice.

Regardless, traditional Masala chai karha is a cardamom base and pumpkin spice isn't.

Also, chai = tea so saying "chai tea" is like saying "tea tea."  ::P:  But don't worry, there are a lot of restaurants around here that serve the infamous "queso cheese"

And no, I don't drink much tea.  My sister-in-law however...

9 people like this

1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

Cake is... nice. But it's just cake. Pie is that thing to which praises are sang. Apple pie, berry pie, strawberry pie, banana pie, pumpkin pie, cheesecake, it matters not.

That reminds me... I need to buy lard so I can make a pie ::P:

Unless of course it is a Cake Brownie.

Not overly heavy on the Chocolate, a nice balance of dark and milk will make for yummy eating and drinking when served with a glass of cold milk.

GEM

6 people like this

1 hour ago, Auberon said:

Also, chai = tea so saying "chai tea" is like saying "tea tea."  ::P:  But don't worry, there are a lot of restaurants around here that serve the infamous "queso cheese"

I'm pretty sure that there are restaurants on Table Mesa in Boulder that serve chai tea and queso cheese.

Unfortunately, it looks like the only "restaurant" at the La Brea Tar Pits doesn't serve either.

:rolleyes:

6 people like this

9 hours ago, Crowley said:

Greatings gentle beings! Once again, I, the Haminister of Truth dons the sacred robes of the Quisitor for this the spookiest of months, and also the month with the high holy week of ReaperCon!

Question for Tuesday, October 2nd:

Pumpkin Spice season is upon us. What is your favorite autumnal food, drink, and treat?

Answer to all three:

Whatever I don't need to make myself.::P:

Food: the turkey soup (it usually ends up being more of a stew) that I make with the turkey carcass a few days after Thanksgiving.

Drink: Nothing particularly special here, although warm drinks are appreciated more since the temperature is going down.

Treat: Pumpkin/apple/cherry/mixed berry pie

6 people like this

Does a bonfire count as a treat? Cause it involves good friends, good food, and good drink, so hard to beat.

8 people like this

4 hours ago, Auberon said:

Eh?  While it is true that Masala chai (spiced-tea) is based off of an ancient recipe, the tea version we know is fairly modern and arose from the British and their tea plantations of the 1830s.  Even then it didn't really gain popularity as a drink until the 1900s.  "Pompkin" pie goes back to at least 1790, though with a slightly different spice mix than the modern "traditional" pumpkin spice.

Regardless, traditional Masala chai karha is a cardamom base and pumpkin spice isn't.

And no, I don't drink much tea.  My sister-in-law however...

True. Chai tea is in a way tea-tea. Lake Tahoe is also lake-lake. 

3 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I'm pretty sure that there are restaurants on Table Mesa in Boulder that serve chai tea and queso cheese.

Unfortunately, it looks like the only "restaurant" at the La Brea Tar Pits doesn't serve either.

:rolleyes:

There are two on Table Mesa within walking distance that serve chai tea. However, the best chai in town is at the fancy tea house on the creek. The queso cheese would be elsewhere. 

8 people like this

14 hours ago, Reaperbryan said:

I make the BEST pumpkin pie ever. People get angry at me when I won't make one for them, and are often willing to pay me $20 each for the things.

Orly? :ik_oops: I have also been accused of making the "best" pumpkin pie (two of my main promoters are my husband and mom, so they're biased). But I am always interested in improvement. What do you do to make your pie excell? (Assuming you don't mind sharing/ have time to share.) 

9 people like this

Bake off!!!

I'll volunteer to be a judge.::D:

9 people like this

I volunteer to eat all the pumpkin pies. In the name of science. 

7 people like this

Question for Tuesday, October 3rd:

What is the most ridiculous "Pumpkin Spice" item you've seen? Did you get it/try it? What's the craziest you can come up with?

4 people like this

4 minutes ago, Crowley said:

What is the most ridiculous "Pumpkin Spice" item you've seen? Did you get it/try it? What's the craziest you can come up with?

Pumpkin spice Kit-Kat.

Did not try, Kit-Kat should taste like chocolate. Period. End of story.

Pumpkin spice aftershave.

4 people like this

7 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Pumpkin Spice Bacon.  I'll leave it up to the reader to decide if it really exists or if I made it up.

5 people like this

1 minute ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Pumpkin Spice Bacon.  I'll leave it up to the reader to decide if it really exists or if I made it up.

Idk, but it sounds decent

3 people like this