Sanael

Lunch Sessions II: Victoria Miniatures' "Not-a-Hobbit"

37 posts in this topic

In my last Lunch Sessions thread, I posted this teaser:

IMAG0678.thumb.jpg.5e1cb2fa71e2bbeb27af2bcba3fa72f4.jpg

This Clearly Non-Hobbit mini was a special piece created by Victoria Lamb (I'm not sure at this point whether it was limited edition, or convention-only, or what) which I picked up at Reapercon 2015 (Victoria was there, talking about OSL, go figure).

If you're at all familiar with Victoria's painting work, you know she's an incredible OSL painter, and this sculpt is perfect for the technique. Both the torch and the sword (given the clear "sting" of inspiration) are light sources, and both the clothes and the base offer some really great lines for casting shadows and catching light.

I'm very excited to paint this fellow, as OSL is one of the more advanced techniques that has always drawn my attention...and there are several pieces I want to do up to competition level involving OSL, for which this piece will serve as practice. I intend to take him up to display or competition quality, so please comment and critique as I move along.

My intent with the lighting is to have a very strong yellow-to-orange light cast by the torch, with a very soft bluish light from the sword. I want to play with the interaction where the light sources contact each other, as well as see what I get on different colors of fabric.

This week will be mostly blocking colors in, so I know what the light is falling on. If I move really quickly, I'll start playing with shadows, but I doubt that will come until next week.

DAY 01

30 minutes

A few basecoats. I started by basing the skin in Carrot Top Red, then lining everything in Blackened Brown.

IMAG0680.thumb.jpg.74f2799a7d6b564118339a53e276d539.jpg

After lining the base, you can really see where those stones are going to create some really cool cast shadows from the torch.

Following that, I mixed P3 Coal Black into the Blackened Brown and hit his hair with it, then based his coat in Ancient Oak.

IMAG0682.thumb.jpg.2201e39b4c8c1bc62351b3dc01ea0786.jpg

I'm choosing black hair mostly because I think it will be the most forgiving of the multi-colored light sources. Trying to figure out how to play with two light sources filtering through translucent hair is beyond the scope of what I'm hoping to accomplish right now. Baby steps, right?

And that's all for today. Tomorrow will see the pants and leathers blocked in, and possibly his eyes. Once the eyes are done, I'll block in the "visible" skin tone (no, he won't stay that orange!)

15 people like this

Nice start!

Is it time for second breakfast yet?

2 people like this

Okay I said OSL...but two sources in different colors... someone get him a straight jacket, he's obviously nuts.

1 person likes this

I won't claim I'm not crazy, but if you put me in a straightjacket, I can't even TRY to paint this!

No lunchtime painting today; the weather is too nice not to go outside. I may have some time this afternoon, we shall see. But I did spend my lunch going over some 2D shading tutorials on Deviantart, which gave me a few ideas.

And, @Glitterwolf...it is ALWAYS time for second breakfast!

I won't claim I'm not crazy, but if you put me in a straightjacket, I can't even TRY to paint this!

No lunchtime painting today; the weather is too nice not to go outside. I may have some time this afternoon, we shall see. But I did spend my lunch going over some 2D shading tutorials on Deviantart, which gave me a few ideas.

And, @Glitterwolf...it is ALWAYS time for second breakfast!

2 people like this

Yeah, it was nice to eat outside today on this half of the State as well!  Okay I get the point about the straight jacket, padded room...?  Looking good bud, can't wait to see the progress.

Ha! Actually got to paint some today, despite a meeting that went long and ate into my lunch break.

DAY02

45 minutes

Finished basecoating everything. The jacket is still Ancient Oak; the pants are a mix of Blackened Brown and Tanned Leather (as is the leather band on the back of the jacket); straps and pouch are straight Blackened Brown; Vest is a mix of Sunlight Yellow and Saffron Sunset. Stones on the base are Ghost white and Corporeal Shadow.

Then I did the eyes. I started off basing them in Ghost White (usually I do corneas in Leather White, but that's not in my go-bag at work) but it was waaaaay too blue, so I re-did them in Linen White. It's more yellow than I usually like for corneas but I think it will work well in the torchlight. Pupils are Corporeal Shadow. After finishing the eyes, I put down Rosy Shadow in the skin.

The blade is based in Ghost White and the flame is Linen White.

So this is where we are at the end of the day:

IMAG0687.thumb.jpg.a76dc259323e2a857cad546ae99621d1.jpgIMAG0688.thumb.jpg.a9a736f7e0668b2f6c5add87ce6ff3db.jpg

I think his eyeliner is a bit uch; I need to bring my Optivisor to work and touch those up (and the eyebrows!), but on the whole I like his expression. I think it's a bit wry, and a bit terrified. Which seems reasonable for a hobbit alone in a dark cavern.

Oh! And i did some very basic geometric patterns on his vest, not sure how well they show up.

I also asked my dad (a photographer) for some help, and he's going to make me a photo of a face lit in similar fashion. But I should be able to start blocking in shadows soon. I'll try to remember to take more photos as I do.

9 people like this

Looking at your photos on my tablet.  They are really clear. I'm able to zoom in quite well. Is the a phone or and actual camera photo?

This is my phone...which takes far better pictures than it is able to display. I'm always shocked when I get them onto the laptop.

2 people like this

Very good!

Posted (edited)

So,  If you are looking of your subject matter for Lunch Session #3. I liked your idea of Wyrmgear...::o:   ::P:   ::D:

Edited by chaosscorpion

Loving it

14 minutes ago, chaosscorpion said:

So,  If you are looking of your subject matter for Lunch Session #3. I liked your idea of Wyrmgear...::o:   ::P:   ::D:

I know, I know. I dont plan to bring anything quite that large to work just yet, but I have both Wyrmgear and Narthrax to finish once I get my table set up at home. That might not be until 2018, but both dragons are high on the list, along with my Everblight Archangel, to inaugurate the new paint table.

Loim, thanks for stopping by!

1 person likes this

Peeks over cubical partition.  Hmmm must have taken the day off, to work on a home improvement project.

I did mow the lawn today...but yesterday, I was at work and i did get to paint, a little bit.

DAY 03:

25 minutes

Some of the time today was spent doing wet palette maintenance...it's important to clean up at the end of the week, or Monday morning will include a green fug of mildew hovering near my desk. Really, I think Wednesdays need to include a change of water, even if there's still decent paint on the paper.

The rest of the time was spent laying in Corporeal Shadow...shadows...on the base. So here's that:

IMAG0689.thumb.jpg.a961d7005286f0b40316578e89a7910a.jpg

And today, before mowing the lawn, I took a walk through a neighborhood I haven't often frequented...and discovered a Blick Art Shop! So now I have a new loyalty card on my keychain, a new jar of Master brush soap specifically to go live at my desk, and a new sticker to adorn my wet palette case. I thought about taking a photo of this swag, but it's not the most exciting stuff I could have picked up. They don't carry W&NS7 or DaVinci brushes in the store...which is a point in favor of the locally-owned shop I usually frequent...and I don't like the Isabey brushes they did have as much. They did have one Isabey on clearance, but they let me wet it and it came to a nice point that splayed ferociously after a single snap, so even at five bucks it was a no-go. But on the whole, I'm glad to know the shop is there, and I'll keep an eye on their specials!

7 people like this

very quick update just to get these posted from my computer at home before I go to work. I did get some time in yesterday.

DAY 04

1 hour

Blocked in shadows with Corporeal Shadow. It's a bit early, but I'm definitely feeling the "broccoli-point" of the mini, where everything just looks terrible before it gets better. But the OSL dwarf I did a few years ago did the same thing, so I just need to push on...that'll be today.

Shadows blocked in:

IMAG0692.thumb.jpg.f4e5e2a23aeb0c289ff881a48b27ddd3.jpgIMAG0693.thumb.jpg.e76dbede2de6ec448e5f4959a02de3e5.jpgIMAG0694.thumb.jpg.9da5ef99faa459776c3ebf977d3cbc47.jpgIMAG0695.thumb.jpg.d0ce93d990747be4c94e1abb81975f13.jpg

Also, my dad set up his camera with some blue and orange lights and a larger statue (her head is about 1.5 inches tall, so she's a bit bigger than our hobbit, here...), so I have a reference to work from for the dual-light shadows/highlights.

59dca631a9f41_Blueandorangelights_TRutledge-1.thumb.jpg.6647035840336c296d3ed84b637e6aa8.jpg

8 people like this