Sanael

Lunch Sessions II: Victoria Miniatures' "Not-a-Hobbit"

36 posts in this topic

Pokes around... Hmmm... Don't see it.  Looks for flash drive...::(:  Sits down to wait patiently for Sanael to make his next post. Drums fingers on desk and has mock battle with Raph and WW.

1 person likes this

hey! no playing with my toys unless I'm there, too!

nah, I'm kidding. The cannons and ammo for the Playmobil pirate ship are under the pencil tray in the top right drawer, if you need them.

No paint today, ended up running a few errands on lunch, then enjoying a sunny high-60's day. Tomorrow I'll paint, though.

1 person likes this

Okay I see promises promises.  Snatch WW. Scrawls out ransom note. You can have WW back when you post an update. 

Returns WW, darn golden lasso. Sits down to wait patiently for next post. Should've snatch Raph.

1 person likes this

sigh.

I did paint today, and I took photos. I laid in the first layer of the torchlight. I'll try to do a post before work in the morning, but my phone is dead right now.

My show is in tech week, so I'm not getting home until 10:30 or 11, hence no update prior to now. Yay tech week! <_<

edit to add: OK, so I barely woke up in time to catch the bus, and to make a long story short my morning has already been a slapstick cavalcade. So I'll have to make a combined post when I put up whatever I get done today.

...do you think my boss will let me do nothing but sleep and paint today?

Edited by Sanael
1 person likes this

DAY 05

30 minutes

I began blocking in the torchlight today. It's a mix of Deadrose Red (gods, but I love that red!) and Marigold Yellow, about 70/30. Really quickly, I blocked in this first layer. There are a few places I think I gave too much light, and places where I think I'll definitely need to add in some more of the Corporeal Shadow, but this gives me a much clearer view of the far reaches of the torchlight.

IMAG0697.thumb.jpg.07b981032fd4191fefce0a838f01c815.jpgIMAG0698.thumb.jpg.be7e658a294fedc48458f7a2e48b0d65.jpg

DAY 06

30 minutes

Added more Marigold Yellow to the mix, now about 50/50, and started laying that in in a smaller sphere than the darker red. The idea is that the torch is giving off concentric spheres of colored light, getting closer to white as it gets closer to the torch. I'll keep this up until I get to his hand and the shaft of the torch itself.

IMAG0700.thumb.jpg.bda77f27dd2dd973220726d79f84a32f.jpgIMAG0701.thumb.jpg.e753d7b55eaa1288e6ea699bba981ec9.jpg

I know that tomorrow, I'll head close to pure Marigold Yellow. What I'm trying to decide for next week is whether I should begin the same treatment for the (much smaller and more diffuse) blue light cast by the dagger before I complete the gradient for the torch? Basically, get halfway through with the torchlight, then do some work on the blue, then back to the torch, then back to the blue.

On the one hand, I'm looking forward to trying this with blues, and I know the "do the fun part last" rule applies strongly to my attention span. On the other hand, I also think seeing the blue will help make the overall balance of the mini more apparent as I go. What are y'all's thoughts?

5 people like this

I agree. If you go back 'n forth it will help you balance the two light sources the way you want.

1 person likes this

I think you need to do some of the blue before you finish the torchlight.  I am thinking the torchlight will overpower the blue where they meet so it should be the last layer.

1 person likes this

DAY 06

30 min

I put down another layer of torchlight, this one almost entirely Marigold Yellow. Still a bit of Deadrose Red, but it's pretty incidental die to me using a wet palette.

IMAG0702.thumb.jpg.fcce3f63649f55aab05ea467ff5f90c2.jpgIMAG0703.thumb.jpg.cc2f69ec10e54cb6a20d036a0a7ada51.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the way the torchlight is falling into place. I can see places I'll need to add shadow in already, but I'm using the light to help shape the remaining shadows. OSL has always been a bit of a back-and-forth process for me. I also like how his foot looks right now, and I think this level of brightness is as high as I want to take the floor. Obviously, the jacket and face will go up to almost white in some places, as they are closer to the source.

I also took a greyscaled photo. Again, this shows where the shadows can go down and the brightness can come up, but I know I'm not done with either, yet. I find it really interesting (and pleasing, since it's kinda the goal) that the skintone on the dagger-side of his face is a midtone, and the torchlight is now at midtone, and in the greyscale, it almost doesn't look like there's any difference from one side of his face to the other.

IMAG0704.thumb.jpg.c906eea1c19fd44169e5da0eb5936646.jpg

Next time I paint (hopefully tomorrow), I'll begin the dagger-light.

4 people like this

Looking Good!, my friend!

Edited by chaosscorpion
1 person likes this

Looking good! 

I normally go out to my car for lunch but with cold weather and snow coming you got me thinking that I might bring some paint and just stay at my warm desk and do some painting.

1 person likes this

52 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

Looking good! 

I normally go out to my car for lunch but with cold weather and snow coming you got me thinking that I might bring some paint and just stay at my warm desk and do some painting.

That is exactly what started this WiP series. Well, part of what started the series, anyway. I intend to continue doing technique-oriented pieces, since the structure of a short session followed by photos/reflection/feedback allows for a lot of tweaking and fixing as I go. Not sure yet what will be next, but I have pieces ready to go for practicing more OSL, SENMM, sheer fabric, freehand...plus a few simpler pieces that just need to get done.

Thanks for commenting!

1 person likes this

As bright at the sword looks in the BW photo, the torch would seem to need to be brighter, but that may change as you work the light sources back and forth.

1 person likes this

49 minutes ago, chaosscorpion said:

As bright at the sword looks in the BW photo, the torch would seem to need to be brighter, but that may change as you work the light sources back and forth.

you're right about that photo; the sword is still just bare primer, so pretty bright. I started putting down the blue light today, including getting paint on the sword, so when I post tonight you'll see a definite difference!

Day 07

30 Min

using Marine Teal and Ghostly moss, I started the blue light side. I'm pretty pleased with the direction it's going. I may actually finish up the blue, because it's not going to need too much more. I'll do a pass with pure Ghostly moss, then mix in some Ghost White, then some pure Ghost White on the blade itself.

IMAG0709.thumb.jpg.e752c826302fd302674b67dfc4b5f758.jpgIMAG0708.thumb.jpg.4aff4d2b6091dc75c70e46c377733f40.jpgIMAG0710.thumb.jpg.df1b3b4c16538eccab0e7cd2c8316fed.jpg

Looking at these, I actually need to go back through and hit the hand holding the sword, as well as the sword's crossguard. I think the back view is my favorite right now.

4 people like this

I like all three!  I'd be interested in the BW photo again.  The balance looks good so far/