Kuro Cleanbrush

The Shiniest Marine Ya Evah Seen!

Really excellent. One day when I feel like I can pull it off I want to paint a Space Marine or one of the Reaper Power armor guys up as James Raynor. 

• Like 4

First, congrats on having a baby!  I have 3 daughters and I love having girls (at least til the become teenagers)! 

Second, Wow!  Just, wow!!  He looks so cool!  And he's just a for fun mini?  You got some crazy skills brother!

Can I ask what SENMM stands for?  I was thinking it meant "bad a** paint job" but I could be wrong. 

• Like 3

Having a baby is an excuse for nearly anything. Once you have kids, your old life is over forever, but in a good way (IMO).

26 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

Can I ask what SENMM stands for?  I was thinking it meant "bad a** paint job" but I could be wrong. 

Sky-Earth Non-Metallic Metal. It refers to painting the reflections to look like chromed armor (or whatever) reflecting the notional land and sky around the figure.

• Like 6

Congrats on making spawn! I'm curious about the SENMM. That takes a ton of planning it seems! 

• Like 3

Basically, it's not just painting the mini so that all the metal bits pick up the light from your primary light source, but also the light reflecting back up at it from the ground (and possibly other objects in the vicinity) - essentially reflecting the colors of everything around it, thus the "sky-earth" effect: bluish on the tops of things and brownish (or greenish) on the bottoms of them... 

These two images should give you a good idea of the technique.

If you really want to get hardcore about it, you can paint the armor to reflect the colors of individual objects in its vicinity, such as green foliage on one side and brown dirt on the other, but it can read as a bit odd unless those objects are actually present in the scene so you can see what's being reflected.

And yes, it's one of those techniques that really requires you to do a lot of brainwork ahead of time to get it to look right.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 4

I know you have said you have had some problems with your recording equipment and I know it might be a pain with the new little one but it would be AMAZING if you would do a YouTube video on how to do this technique!  I'll look around to see if there are any that cover this.

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch, everyone!  ::):

18 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

I know you have said you have had some problems with your recording equipment and I know it might be a pain with the new little one but it would be AMAZING if you would do a YouTube video on how to do this technique!  I'll look around to see if there are any that cover this.

I know James Wappel has a good one on this technique, but I may still be able to break out my recording gear for this with some degree of success, so I'll keep you posted!

• Like 3

That James Wappel video is good and very interesting!  After watching it though I feel that I should just be practicing some more basic techniques and try to master those the best I can.  But I have a few figures in mind from the Bones 4 core set that this technique might work really well with which gives me time to practice!

Geez, Kuro, pick something difficult next time!  My brain can't even comprehend how SENMM would work on this dude, much less paint it!

You're one of my favourite mutants, though.  I'm happy you use your unnatural gifts for good.

• Like 9

Looks really cool! 

I’ve never attempted this type of style, very nice to see you doing it!

• Like 1