Kuro Cleanbrush

The Shiniest Marine Ya Evah Seen!

Really excellent. One day when I feel like I can pull it off I want to paint a Space Marine or one of the Reaper Power armor guys up as James Raynor. 

• Like 4

First, congrats on having a baby!  I have 3 daughters and I love having girls (at least til the become teenagers)! 

Second, Wow!  Just, wow!!  He looks so cool!  And he's just a for fun mini?  You got some crazy skills brother!

Can I ask what SENMM stands for?  I was thinking it meant "bad a** paint job" but I could be wrong. 

• Like 3

Having a baby is an excuse for nearly anything. Once you have kids, your old life is over forever, but in a good way (IMO).

26 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

Can I ask what SENMM stands for?  I was thinking it meant "bad a** paint job" but I could be wrong. 

Sky-Earth Non-Metallic Metal. It refers to painting the reflections to look like chromed armor (or whatever) reflecting the notional land and sky around the figure.

• Like 6

Congrats on making spawn! I'm curious about the SENMM. That takes a ton of planning it seems! 

• Like 3

Basically, it's not just painting the mini so that all the metal bits pick up the light from your primary light source, but also the light reflecting back up at it from the ground (and possibly other objects in the vicinity) - essentially reflecting the colors of everything around it, thus the "sky-earth" effect: bluish on the tops of things and brownish (or greenish) on the bottoms of them... 

These two images should give you a good idea of the technique.

If you really want to get hardcore about it, you can paint the armor to reflect the colors of individual objects in its vicinity, such as green foliage on one side and brown dirt on the other, but it can read as a bit odd unless those objects are actually present in the scene so you can see what's being reflected.

And yes, it's one of those techniques that really requires you to do a lot of brainwork ahead of time to get it to look right.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 4

I know you have said you have had some problems with your recording equipment and I know it might be a pain with the new little one but it would be AMAZING if you would do a YouTube video on how to do this technique!  I'll look around to see if there are any that cover this.

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch, everyone!  ::):

18 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

I know you have said you have had some problems with your recording equipment and I know it might be a pain with the new little one but it would be AMAZING if you would do a YouTube video on how to do this technique!  I'll look around to see if there are any that cover this.

I know James Wappel has a good one on this technique, but I may still be able to break out my recording gear for this with some degree of success, so I'll keep you posted!

• Like 3

That James Wappel video is good and very interesting!  After watching it though I feel that I should just be practicing some more basic techniques and try to master those the best I can.  But I have a few figures in mind from the Bones 4 core set that this technique might work really well with which gives me time to practice!

Geez, Kuro, pick something difficult next time!  My brain can't even comprehend how SENMM would work on this dude, much less paint it!

You're one of my favourite mutants, though.  I'm happy you use your unnatural gifts for good.

• Like 9

Looks really cool! 

I’ve never attempted this type of style, very nice to see you doing it!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Darcstaar
      I don't get to be a player as much as a DM.
      So, when I do get to play, I want to spend a little extra effort on my figure for my own PC.
      This is the situation for this Goldar.

He is a half-orc fire specialized sorcerer, so he get's to use a Greataxe and plays a little like a one-trick pony with his fire spells.

I envisioned him as very gray skinned.

I tried to accomplish a green shadow blending up to gray highlights.  I mixed MSP Stone Gray and Highland Moss, then highlighting with Weathered Stone.
      I think it just ended up as a pale green, but it is still interesting.  There were glazes of GW green and red washes in the shadows.  I think it would make a good zombie or ghoul flesh recipe.  I tried to give a little life to his face with a few layers of thinned flesh glaze on the nose and cheeks, but it doesn't really show in the photos.  His face was a tad miscast, with a flat nose and odd right cheek.

The backstory of the character describes ritual branding and tattoos all over his body.  I thought that would end up taking the figure toward a Goliath, so I avoided it.  Instead, I put a little flame on his shoulder pad.  I wanted to read as raised embossed metal, but I think it just looks like a decal.

As I thought of ways to add detail, I decided to put runes on his skirt.  My go-to for runes are the variant of FUTHARK used in the Ultima games.
      In this case, Vas Flam, which was the recipe for the fireball spell!  I liked it enough, I put it on the axe.  I can imagine a smart sorcerer would figure out a way to turn his skirt into a scroll.  I'll see if my DM will let me do it ;)

I had to re-do the armored legs and axe nmm a few times.  The first time I tried the Twilight Blue triad, and didn't like it.  Then I tried the Stone Gray triad, and worried it was too close to his skin.  So I ended up mixing White and Black into Cloudy Gray.  It ended up a little rushed.  The scratches are all just painted on, a decision I made at the last minute (I tend to hate risking botching up a paint job that I'm happy with, and getting the metals to that point were almost enough deterrent to do it).

Without further ado, here is my take on Goldar.
      C&C Welcomed.

• By Darcstaar
      This figure is a great load off my Shelf of Shame.
      I wanted to complete it for my friend's 40th birthday, as he was supposed to come back to town for a surprise party.  I never finished it, since he changed his plans and there was no party.  He and I go back to 7th grade, and have gamed together on-and-off for the better part of 25 years.  I've gone back to complete this figure after about a 3 year hiatus.  He is my first real attempt at an NMM weapon and armor.  The challenge with the sword was the spine of the sword is soft not crisp, so getting a straight line was tough.

I asked my friend what his favorite type of character was to play.  His answer: Sword and Board fighter.
      I wanted the figure to resemble my friend: Very pale Caucasian, very light blond short hair.  Also, I wanted our high school colors to figure into the paint scheme: Green and White.

I also like to find old gems from the Reaper store that need some love and new life breathed into them!  Ashlan definitely fits the bill.

So, I present Ashlan Fellthrush, Heroic Paladin.

I had dreams at one point of making the suitable looking parts of the sword and tabard-trim into green gems, but gave up on that to get him DONE!.

Part of the reason I gave up on this figure for so long was my failure to realize my ambitious goal to paint a freehand gold NMM device on the back to match the one sculpted on the front.  The back felt like it needed something.  I tried a white dragon for a while, like the shield, but didn't like it.  So I repainted the back and tried this gold device.  It came out "good enough" after about the third try, so I moved on.

Overall, I'm very pleased with Ashlan.  In know my friend will enjoy it.  He's triple-sealed for gaming goodness.
      Now, I just have to pack him up for a safe trip to Seattle.

Thanks for reading.
      C&C Welcome.
    • By dunker79
      It has been a while, but I am back with another mini from Reaper. This time its a Blood Stone Gnome, which I tried to paint up as a goblin. Hope you all like it. Any C&c is welcomed.

• By dks
      Hello again!
      I just finished painting another Pathfinder figure, Octavio Sabinus (#60206). 
      He appears in the Pathfinder "Hell's Rebels" Adventure Path, issue #98: link to cover image of #98. (Wayne Reynolds painted the cover art.)
      Octavio is a Hellknight, and although all Hellknights hold a deep enmity for chaos, they aren't necessarily evil.  Octavio and his fellow members of the Order of the Torrent are some of the goodguys (relatively). 
      The Order of the Torrent wears Hellknight plate armor with an aquatic/sea-life theme.  Octavio even has barnacles growing on his armor and weapon!
      (To paint this "black" armor, I used Blue Liner, and a gradation from Deep Amethyst to Misty Grey.)

I sculpted this figure last summer (2017) and he was available at ReaperCon. 
      I rarely sculpt figures wearing heavy armor, so this was a good challenge. 
      Another figure of mine with similarly intricate armor -- and a polearm with a critter on it -- is the villain Staunton Vhane (link to Staunton's Forum post).

The front and rear shots above are the main viewing angles that I intended, but here is a shot at a different angle, to show other details on the helmet and shoulder:

Enjoy!

Derek

• By dks
      Here is my painted rendition of Staunton Vhane, a dwarf with some fancy armor, a fancy weapon, and a very bad outlook.  He serves Deskari, the demon-lord of locusts.

I sculpted the figure based on the painting by Wayne Reynolds from the cover of Pathfinder Adventure Path #84 [edit: #74], "Sword of Valor":
      http://static1.paizo.com/image/product/catalog/PZO/PZO9074.jpg

After I took the first photos of the "finished" figure, I decided that I didn't like the more muted salmon-pink/brown of the base, so I punched up the color with some glazes of purple, red, and orange. Now it is more consistent with the saturation of the green armor.

The stock miniature is released with only one horn/antenna to match the interior art in the Pathfinder adventure, but I added the second horn (carved from the sword of another figure and then attached to his helmet), because I figured that the second one was present in the cover art, but foreshortened and hard to see.

I enjoyed the challenge of sculpting his intricate insectile armor and the locust on his glaive ... but at some point I also started imagining that the blade was shaped like the head of a rhinoceros.  Do you also see the horn on its nose, the eye-hole and nostril, and the locust-wing ear?

You may notice that the photograph of the unpainted stock figure has the one horn in a raised position:
      http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Pathfinder/latest/60186#detail/60186_w_1
      This position allows the figure to be cast in one piece, but I intended the horn to be bent backward.  That's easy to do with pewter, if you bend slowly.
      (I did the same with the hair on Shalelu:  http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Pathfinder/oldest/60042#detail/60042_w_1.)

Enjoy!

Derek
  • Who's Online   43 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)