Kuro Cleanbrush

The Shiniest Marine Ya Evah Seen!

30 posts in this topic

Your work is gorgeous and inspiring as always. Thank you for also showing your 7 year old space marine. It's a good reminder that even crazy talent needs to be accompanied by time and practice.

Really looking forward to your blending class!

4 people like this

3 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Geez, Kuro, pick something difficult next time!  My brain can't even comprehend how SENMM would work on this dude, much less paint it!

You're one of my favourite mutants, though.  I'm happy you use your unnatural gifts for good.

:lol: thanks!  One of the biggest things I've learned as I've done more and more NMM, though, is that it is both very difficult to reason through where highlights and shadows should be and also very difficult for the viewer to tell if any highlights or shadows are out of place.  NMM (on things with multiple facets) is kind of a sensory overload for both the artist and the observer so much so that it is hard for people to find fault even if the artist was not 100% correct with how light behaves!  In short, it can be a more forgiving technique than I first thought!

1 hour ago, rfusca said:

Amazing, so talented. I started following you on FB recently. Looking fantastic! 

Thanks for the follow!  I've been trying to use my FB page for WIP shots more these days, so hopefully there'll be some more neat pics in the days to come!

12 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

Your work is gorgeous and inspiring as always. Thank you for also showing your 7 year old space marine. It's a good reminder that even crazy talent needs to be accompanied by time and practice.

Really looking forward to your blending class!

Wait till you see my 13 - 14 year old Space Marine; that's even more of a shock!  :;):  And it'll be great to have you in my class!

6 people like this

Another WOW!

Congrats on the spawn!

2 people like this

"Basic", right. ::P:

Maybe he's part of the varsity team!

4 people like this

A bit more work today!  He probably has a couple more work sessions left, so I'm estimating the end of the week for his completion!

59dab5d6e7b36_Marine9.thumb.JPG.a8f35460072d34dce3b245f5ada034c5.JPG59dab5de6cf8a_Marine10.thumb.JPG.1f9b0425a31b48f802ae6c9f07fdd5c8.JPG

17 people like this

Its awful. We hate it. Go back and do it all again and show us each and every step! 

No but seriously, this is outstanding. 

5 people like this

a couple more work sessions?????

What is left to do??    Any more on this mini and it might start shooting the competition at Reapercon!

2 people like this

Thanks everyone!  ::):  The main things that are left to do are all the metal on his gun (and in a few other small places) and his base (which needs more paint and some barbwire).  The metal I am not looking forward to, but the base should be simple enough!

2 people like this

So how long have you been in the hobby?  Did you have an artistic background before you started?  It's obvious you have a natural talent but did you study other art forms prior to painting miniatures?

It looks amazing!  I really love the flames!

1 person likes this

This fantastic! I love the red accents.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

So how long have you been in the hobby?  Did you have an artistic background before you started?  It's obvious you have a natural talent but did you study other art forms prior to painting miniatures?

It looks amazing!  I really love the flames!

Well, I forget exactly at what age I first started painting (I kind of slowly got into the hobby), but it's been approximately 12-14 years for me now.  Having started as a young teenager, I had no real art background, so anything I've learned in that realm has been solely through the miniatures hobby!  In my everyday life, I'm actually an engineer by trade and (outside of a couple of super basic art things in middle school) have never taken a non-miniatures art class.  ::):

I was planning on saving this until I finished this guy, but here is one of my first miniatures (painted around the beginning of my time in the hobby, circa 2005):

DSCN1627.thumb.JPG.fe570cdfad8b8832f48922fc2facc259.JPG

As you can see, poor cleaning, no highlighting or shading, poor area definition, and basically just many signs of being quite new to the hobby.  But all that is a natural part of getting started, and I slowly improved over the next few years.  However, I didn't really have much guidance besides a few internet articles, and so I only made relatively small strides forward.  Those new strides included using washes and doing a bit of highlighting, and my brush control naturally improved.  By about 2010, here's where I was at:

59dc397f1c267_Seraph1.thumb.JPG.bbb04360a45a03fef7a779f52d3adfcd.JPG

Worlds better (simple brush control will get you far!) but still nowhere near where I am today.  What really helped me to improve to where I am today is the classes I took when I attended my first ReaperCon in 2012!  The brush control I had been developing over the years prior probably helped me to apply what I learned a little quicker than usual, but there really aren't very many truly difficult techniques in miniature painting, so (with some patience and practice) anyone can learn them!  ::):

8 people like this

Practice, patience, and moderation on the caffeine :poke:

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Kuro Cleanbrush said:

Well, I forget exactly at what age I first started painting (I kind of slowly got into the hobby), but it's been approximately 12-14 years for me now.  Having started as a young teenager, I had no real art background, so anything I've learned in that realm has been solely through the miniatures hobby!  In my everyday life, I'm actually an engineer by trade and (outside of a couple of super basic art things in middle school) have never taken a non-miniatures art class.  ::):

I was planning on saving this until I finished this guy, but here is one of my first miniatures (painted around the beginning of my time in the hobby, circa 2005):

DSCN1627.thumb.JPG.fe570cdfad8b8832f48922fc2facc259.JPG

As you can see, poor cleaning, no highlighting or shading, poor area definition, and basically just many signs of being quite new to the hobby.  But all that is a natural part of getting started, and I slowly improved over the next few years.  However, I didn't really have much guidance besides a few internet articles, and so I only made relatively small strides forward.  Those new strides included using washes and doing a bit of highlighting, and my brush control naturally improved.  By about 2010, here's where I was at:

59dc397f1c267_Seraph1.thumb.JPG.bbb04360a45a03fef7a779f52d3adfcd.JPG

Worlds better (simple brush control will get you far!) but still nowhere near where I am today.  What really helped me to improve to where I am today is the classes I took when I attended my first ReaperCon in 2012!  The brush control I had been developing over the years prior probably helped me to apply what I learned a little quicker than usual, but there really aren't very many truly difficult techniques in miniature painting, so (with some patience and practice) anyone can learn them!  ::):

Wow! Good to know there's hope for us mortals lol 

Hmm now it makes me want to find a class around Atlanta 

3 people like this

I almost forgot to put this here, but I am finally done!  The Show Off thread for his shininess can be found here!

4 people like this