fanguad

2017 Secret Sophie / Winter Exchange

I mailed off my package today (and just realized I forgot to include the "gift" portion).  So the painted portion, at least, should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

• Like 1

UPDATE! Mini #1 is done! Going to try to make a Mini #2 for my Partner! Also, will be trying NMM for the first #@##$%ing Time! I just LOVE having Bipolar. It means Sleep is a thing of the past until it isn't! :P Well, at least I'm getting something useful done. Also, did my Gift exchange with some of my f2f Gaming group and got a freestanding magnefying glass with light from one of them! Tested it out today and it takes some getting used to but looks like it will helpful!

GF

• Like 3

The hard part is letting go.  I actually ordered some scenery parts at the last minute and I am beginning to think my hindbrain is trying to stall...  It will go out next week though.  I just saw an ad for some watch gears and pieces that would go perfectly and I had to have them for the project

• Like 3

I made some pretty significant progress towards getting my painted gift finished last night. I'm hoping to have the package on it's way by the end of the year.

• Like 4

On 12/17/2017 at 7:50 PM, Auberon said:

I have a few days off this week so The PlanTM is to get all the painting done by the weekend.  Also I'll be out of town after Christmas, so if everything isn't done by the weekend it won't be done until next year.

I got in a couple of good painting sessions and the mini is done... except for the hand & weapon I left off cause I thought it would be in the way.  Oopsie.  Well it's at least primed now and should be quick to paint.

• Like 2

Second half of my Secret Sophie is out.

Now that a lot more packages are going out, please post pictures of what you received!  We all want to share in the joy of miniatures.

• Like 1

Mine arrived today:

DSCN0378.jpg.112ed6efbdedfd5e416ee621a28c9de5.jpg

Chocolate, chocolate, butter cookies, Lady Devonna, chocolate, chocolate, Bourbon St Sophie,  chocolate, and chocolate filler so the chocolate doesn't get banged around.  :wub:

There was no note, so I don't know which forum member to address, but Thank You!  God bless you, Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Mine arrived today:

DSCN0378.jpg.112ed6efbdedfd5e416ee621a28c9de5.jpg

Chocolate, chocolate, butter cookies, Lady Devonna, chocolate, chocolate, Bourbon St Sophie,  chocolate, and chocolate filler so the chocolate doesn't get banged around.  :wub:

There was no note, so I don't know which forum member to address, but Thank You!  God bless you, Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year. 

Glad you liked it.  I was rushing to get it sealed and out the door and only noticed the note sitting on my desk after I got back from the post office.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

My package from Wyvernfire last week, but due to much holiday traveling I am only now posting.  Many thanks for the amazing goodies!  A hand drawn card, a super cute tiny painted dragon, (unpainted) a wraith and guardian  beast - right up my alley for what I like to paint, new basing materials (of a a kind I didn't have at all) are always welcome, and then delicious teas and some maple candies.  Thank you so much.

Here's hoping the attachments don't give me pain :-)

SS1.JPG

SS2.JPG

SS3.JPG

SS4.JPG

• Like 10

okay the gift mini is done. 

I realized yesterday that the ears are wrong and really should be cut off and moved to show a different expression. 

- maybe next time.

I just need to fill out the rest of the box.  Throwing in reaper swag is easy, candy and gifts are harder. 

• Like 1

Given the weather headed in this weekend,  I should be able to finish mine up so it can go in the mail on 1/2.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kangaroorex
      well, he finally made it out of the house!  My exchange is officially in the mail.

My exchange partner had asked for something futuristic and something either goofy or scary, so of course I went with ludicrous.  What do you give the giant demonic poisonous spider that has it all?  high tech lasers and missile launchers!  I have been building and painting some of my eldar pieces and decided that they could use a mascot.

As for things I haven't done in a while.  I have started to play with decals again as a way of adding some interest to my larger grav tanks and space ships so I thought I would add a few here for fun.

The weapons pack is removable if my partner wants to use him as a basic giant spider (actually I got a few complaints from the arachnid union when we discussed permanent attachment...)  there are to pointy pins that attach the weapons pack to the back of the spider (bones material does have its uses.

So here is the Mark I demonic assault spider.  I hope everyone enjoys him!

• By fanguad
      Welcome to the 2018 Spring Miniature Exchange!  This is the thread where I'll post announcements, and you can post questions, let people know that packages have be mailed or received, or just talk, get suggestions, and show off the awesome mini that your partner sent you.

If you've never done an exchange before, how it works is like this: Everyone who is interested PMs me with the questionnaire below filled out (please don't just send an old one, as the questions may have changed). I then match you with a person whom you will paint a mini for, and a second person whom you will receive a painted mini from (sometimes it's the same person). You have until the deadline to send your mini out (please try really hard to do this, though we understand if sometime life gets in the way). That's pretty much it, feel free to PM me with questions.

This exchange is based on trust.  Please be respectful of the fact that someone else is investing their time, money and energy into painting a mini for you.  I am simply the organizer, but I will do everything I can to make sure that everyone who paints a miniature receives one.

The Rules (tl;dr version)
      Fill out the questionnaire below and send it to me via PM. Painters must send the organizers a WIP of their mini by April 1st. Paint your partner a mini and mail it to them by May 15th. Full Rules
      Fill out the questionnaire below and send it to me via PM.  Please fill out the current version of the questionnaire, Please don't just send an old one, as questions may have changed. Reaper minis are the focus. If you want to paint more than one miniature, you may do so. If you wish to include other gifts for your recipient, you may do so, but please keep them small. There is no hard and fast rule, but keeping the value less than the price of a single miniature is a good rule of thumb. The focus of the exchange should be a Reaper product. Please don't contact your partner unless they have listed themselves as okay with contact. I've included it on the questionnaire, so you'll know who wants to keep it secret and who doesn't. In order to encourage people to start painting early, you will need to post a Work In Progress (WIP) image of your mini to either this thread, or as a reply to your organizer, by April 1st.  The mini should be at least base-coated by this time.  If you don't post a WIP by this point, I may have to drop you from the exchange.  Please don't make me do this. Try really hard to get your miniature out by the deadline.  Let an organizer know if you are going to be late. If you are mailing internationally and plan to send more than just miniatures/paint, you must contact your recipient to get any "bonus items" approved.  We don't want any trouble with customs.  As an example, plant matter or powders can cause a lot of trouble. The organizers (fanguad, robinh) can help facilitate any anonymous conversations you want to have with your partner. Have fun!   Deadline
      The deadline to mail out miniatures for this exchange will be three months from when assignments are sent out, on May 15th.  You must post a WIP image of your mini by April 1st.

Assignments Deadline
      The organizers will send the assignments out in about two weeks (February 15th).  Please let me know if you're interested by the 10th.  I can't make any guarantees if you're late, but I will try to make arrangements.

Exchange Assistant
      robinh will be helping me run this exchange.  He will coordinate and communicate with approximately half the participants.  You can contact either of us if you have any questions or issues.

2018 Spring Exchange Questionnaire

-Mailing Information-
      Name:
      Address:

-Miniature Information: Outbound-
      What can you paint?
      What do you like painting the most?

-Miniature Information: Inbound-
      What do you want to receive?
      What DON'T you want to receive?
      What material do you want to receive?
      Do you have a particular color scheme in mind?
      What style of basing would you prefer?
      Please give your partner some inspiration, especially if you have very few preferences above.

-Personal Information-
      Will you ship internationally?
      Would you be willing to have multiple exchange partners?
      Would you like to know who is painting for you before they start painting?
      Would you like your partner to know who is painting for them before you start painting?
      Is there anybody you would prefer not to paint for?  (please include why)

-Special Requests-
      For the organizer, your painter, or your recipient:

2018 Spring Exchange Questionnaire Example
      -Mailing Information-
      Name:         Fanguad Forumguy
      Address:    1234 Liberty Dr.
                        Boston, MA 12345
                        USA
      Notes: Remember to include your zip code and country.  Please format this correctly for your county in case you have an international partner.

-Miniature Information: Outbound-
      What can you paint?  Fantasy PCs or monsters
      Examples: fantasy, sci-fi, monsters, PCs, women, undead, demons, etc
      What do you like painting the most? bugbears and orcs
      Notes: if possible, the organizers will try to match you up with someone who wants this thing, but if we can't we'll fall back to what you "can" paint

-Miniature Information: Inbound-
      What do you want to receive?  Fantasy enemies for my players to fight!  Monsters or human(ish) are both fine.
      Examples: mouslings, necromancers, warriors, dual-wielders, etc
      What DON'T you want to receive?  No nudity please.  Also, I have plenty of goblins so I don't need more.
      Examples: gross, nudity, undead, kobolds, animals, etc
      What material do you want to receive?  I'm fine with any material
      Notes: Reaper miniatures come in Bones, resin and metal
      Do you have a particular color scheme in mind?  No preference.
      Notes: If you're asking for a miniature to be used in army, you can ask your partner to match the colors.
      What style of basing would you prefer? Plain or basic - I will use these miniatures in my PFRPG games.
      Examples: round or square preference? Unbased, plain base (simple black base), basic base (standard sized base with some scenic elements), or scenic base (fancy base not really suitable for gaming)
      Please give your partner some inspiration, especially if you have very few preferences above.
      I'm starting the PFRPG Adventure Path "Jade Regent" soon.  Try painting non-human skin tones.  My favorite color is blue.  "Spring has sprung!"
      Notes: Consider this a non-binding word of inspiration for your partner.  If they're stuck and can't figure out what to paint, maybe this will help them.  No need to repeat your preferences above.  Your partner may ignore this question if they already have an idea from the your previously answered questions.
      Examples: Are there any books or movies you've enjoyed recently?  Is there a challenge or technique you'd like your partner to try?  How about some song lyrics or a quote from a book?

-Personal Information-
      Will you ship internationally? Yes
      Notes: Be aware that postage costs will be higher than domestic postage.  If you mail internationally, you will need permission from your partner to include other gift items so that we don't run afoul of customs.  Most participants in these exchanges are located in the USA.
      Would you be willing to have multiple exchange partners? Yes, I love painting!
      Notes: If yes, specify if there is a limit (though it is unlikely we'll ask you to do more than 2)
      Would you like to know who is painting for you? No
      Examples: Yes, No, No Preference
      Notes: If you say yes, your preference will be communicated to your partner.  It will be up to them to contact you.
      Would you like your partner to know who is painting for them? No
      Examples: Yes, No, No Preference
      Notes: You can contact them directly to work out details or ask for advice.  We will attempt to match people with similar preferences, but can't guarantee this is the case.
      Is there anybody you would prefer not to paint for?  (please include why)    I painted for johndoe123 in the last miniature exchange.
      Notes:  If you like to paint for a variety of different people, you can list those you've painted for in the past.  We will do our best to pair you with someone new.  Another situation is that you know certain people in real life, and would prefer to paint for someone you don't know.

-Special Requests-
      For the organizer, your painter, or your recipient:
    • By Generic Fighter
      So, I got SGHawkins for my Secret Sophie. She said she would be starting Curse of Strahd soon, so I made Strahd...

Happy Vampire is Happy!

Also, i did a couple "Spell Effects" like this Dancing Magma Sword!

And a pair of the new WizKids unpainted minis. I chose the Dragonborn female Fighters set because Dragonborn are hard to find equivilents for outside the official minis and I wanted to try out painting a few of them for future referance. I really like the effect I made with the first's Fire Sword. The mini's Fire sword is made from clear plastic so I used Tamiya Clear "Paint" to shade it and a little bit of Sword steel paint to make it look like the sword is on fire but that it still is metal underneeth.

The second Dragonborn was a challenge from SGHawkins to "Try something new" so, I tried Non-Metalic Metal! I used the Copper/Bronze triad from the Bones 3 Kickstarter to attempt it. It came out okay I think, but I can do better in the future. Also, had fun with the Fire and Ice Axes.

SGHawkins, please post pictures of the items I included too. i did not get to take any pictures of the gifts as I was ill until yesterday evening.

GF
    • By robinh
      The Mini I received tonight was from my Secret Sophie painting partner for 2017 JAY.  The subject matter was a surprise to me and I must say he is very cute!

Although based on his facial expression he does not appreciate being called cute!

Jay has delivered me an excellent bit of cheer to me this night, whose space suit matches the frigid weather we have been having!  It could have been made from ice!

I present  8004 Mousling Space Commander on his ship defending it from space pirates/cats??

(Notice the focus on that face  ... this is what i get for calling him cute)

and a better view of those shoulder emblems

you may have noticed (or maybe not) he is facing two different directions on the stand  ... That's because he came off in transit.. must have been some rough hyper space jumps!

Much appreciated Jay and He is my first SPACE MARINE! 
    • By Generic Fighter
      So, I'm a part of a Bi-Monthly Twitter Secret Santa'like Exchange called #BoxofManyThings! I'm doing Miniatures for both of the organizers of it and this is one of them. The individual in question goes by the Handle, owlbare on twitter and uses a Purple Owlbear as his Avatar. So I chose to do up a Cute little Owlbear for him in his signature Colors. These are actually his photos since I forgot to take any! Anywho, hope you enjoy:)

GF
  • Who's Online   33 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)