KruleBear

Castle from Renaissance Miniatures KS

10 posts in this topic

I was reading Smokestack's wip on his assembly of the HMS Hermione pirate ship from the Renaissance Miniatures Pirates Kickstarter. This inspired me to build mine and it seemed like a good filler project as I could do a lot of the work in the living room while watching/playing with my kid....but hobby ADD kicked in. On top of the laser cut wood ships was a giant pile of laser cut lumber from the Renaissance Miniatures Castles and Siege Engine Kickstarters...so I built another castle :rolleyes:

The walls went pretty quick and then the KruleBear cub saw what I was doing and he requisitioned things as I built them and moved his LEGO minifigures into the castle. i finished 95% of it in the two day weekend. I really like the modularity of the system, but they leave a little too much connecting tab in the sprue. I went through 4 x-acto blades just cutting the pieces out. I also have three more sets of hoardings to build, but they are on hold as they are not as modular as the rest of the castle and really should be glued in place which I don't plan on doing. I will either buil a clip system for them, magnetize, or not use them at all. The one on the tower and wall in the picture are held in place with rubber bands. 

So what do you think? Should be cool for gaming with, but not detailed enough to waste time painting up any nicer.

IMG_0995.JPG.403279021fbcaf5f61c0b6460d8b9f3d.JPGIMG_0996.JPG.1046d9537dca7e0f3881dfb099dc4dd5.JPGIMG_0997.JPG.c9c3024c8399beaf58cb73ddfa8e5a06.JPGIMG_0998.JPG.82c38e23dc1a09d860d55aa6ae349191.JPGIMG_0999.JPG.2980e4ca739e49521eb184e984189623.JPGIMG_1001.JPG.10721616d99c9ab6b0f1be5e902dfa5a.JPG

....now where do I store all this terrain I am making::(:

21 people like this

That is a BEAUTYAND it has the potential to become even more so. OUTSTANDING WORK!

There never seems to be enough storage. I think I would run out of room even if I lived in an aircraft hangar.

4 people like this

Renaissance Miniatures makes really nice modular lasercut buildings.  

4 people like this

That looks really nice... I only got a ballista in this kickstarter. Everything was really nice, but I didn't think I would use a lot of big scenery and could not justify the expense. Looking at your castle though, I wish I had. But I have heard that big castles make great Thanksgiving centerpieces... ::D:

2 people like this

55 minutes ago, malefactus said:

That is a BEAUTYAND it has the potential to become even more so. OUTSTANDING WORK!

There never seems to be enough storage. I think I would run out of room even if I lived in an aircraft hangar.

Thanks Malefactus. These kits would make great foundations for building some awesome terrain, but at this point I have no desire to trick it out. They are nice enough as is to act as an opponent castle to the Dwarven Forge stuff in my kids daily play and if I ever game it would look pretty nice on the board. 

I have a tool shed, garage, spare bed room, and utility room to hide my stuff and it still isn't enough room. 

49 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

That looks really nice... I only got a ballista in this kickstarter. Everything was really nice, but I didn't think I would use a lot of big scenery and could not justify the expense. Looking at your castle though, I wish I had. But I have heard that big castles make great Thanksgiving centerpieces... ::D:

That is a great idea and might convince my wife that I bought it for us if it shows up on the dinner table...::D: I found the fit on the castle stuff to be much better than the Spanish Mission from the Earlier Pirate KS I put together.  I still have a siege tower to put together from this KS...then hopefully I won't be too burnt out to start on the ships from the Pirate KS. Thanks for the feed back. 

57 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Renaissance Miniatures makes really nice modular lasercut buildings.  

Yeah, it is a shame that they are scaling back their operation/business as they have a few unique things I haven't seen other places. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, KruleBear said:

....now where do I store all this terrain I am making::(:

Well, in your kid's room, obviously... ::D:

"No, son, it's Daddy's turn to play with the castle now... You can play with it later after all his little friends leave."

Edited by Mad Jack
3 people like this

15 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Well, in your kid's room, obviously... ::D:

"No, son, it's Daddy's turn to play with the castle now... You can play with it later after all his little friends leave."

LOL. That strategy is already in progress. And we have had that discussion before I believe. ::):

1 person likes this

That's really cool!

I just went by their site, and am depressed that I'll probably never be able to get any of their really cool big pieces any more.

1 person likes this

I've wanted to back pretty much every project of theirs but their Medieval Village is the only one I was able to.