Chaoswolf

Chaos Wolf has a case of the crazies---Starting a new project for Reapercon...

...and finishing it in 10 days or less.:blink:

And you're all invited to come along for the ride.::D: Audience participation is welcome and encouraged, just don't throw anything, please.

(Unless it's money)

While on the hangouts last night, I had an idea for a new project, and then started to laugh. When asked what was so funny, I said that I had just thought of a cool idea for a vignette for Reapercon, but it was too bad it's only a little over a week away. Some of the helpful folks there encouraged me to 'go for it'. I laughed.

But I started thinking about it.

Then I really started to think about it; I got out some stuff, and made a crude  mock-up sketch. Then I thought about it some more.

....and now I think I'm going to do it. It's not like all of my other projects are already finished, right? Oh wait....

So, when I hobby, I usually have a couple different things going at one time, so that I can work on something else while i'm waiting for paint/glue/putty/whatever to dry. I was converting this fellow:

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones/latest/77408

when the idea hit me.

So, what I'm thinking is a scene where the evil spell caster is summoning up some unholy thing from the pit for some evil shenanigans.

Mock up:

IMG_1522.thumb.JPG.a975554ef2a73cc4c804fc16fc5b81e2.JPG

The big scary monster is not what I'm going to use; it's just a place holder. The summoning portal will be in the ground. What I'm thinking for the monster is that less is more; just an arm and top of the head, or some tentacles or something just starting to rise up out of the portal.

What do you think?

Also, here's the guy I converted:

IMG_1523.thumb.JPG.a0d607b9d7a4ee12eb4ef419169beeb1.JPG

Since he was the chap that inspired this idea, I was going to use him as the star, (and I still might), but I was wondering if the calm pose works alright ( I imagine all the chanting, bloodletting and so on has concluded and he's just waiting for his minion to come forth ), or if a more action-y pose (arms spread, holding a staff/sword/something over the head, something like that) would be better.

Well, what do you think?

• Like 14

Stay with this one 

His  minion is already under his control...

He is just waiting to assign the minion it's tasks...

• Like 4

Hm...with the robe sleeves so integrated with the rest of the model, I'd imagine that changing the arm positions would be difficult without significant time spent resculpting them. Perhaps you could modify the right hand to an open one? And add a bit of a glow there (the same color as the portal) to obviously tie the gesture to the portal? Just a few thoughts. As one of the guilty parties, I figure it's only fair I give you what little advice I can offer! :lol:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 3

Thank you both.

I have been pondering about what to do with that hand; you're right, trying to do major surgery to the whole arm would be a large time sink.

I rather like the pose - something about it says "Well, it's kind of puny... but it will have to do!"  (The infamous last words of many an evil spellcaster!  Remember kids, no matter how puny it looks, do not calle up that which ye cannot put downe!)

I don't suppose you've got a spare set of the Bobby Jackson cultists hanging around, do you?  I think something about the expressions on their faces and their poses seems to go nicely with the evil summoner... the one with the knife seems to be grinning sycophantically, "Oh, it's just perfect, master!"  And the one with the book seems to be frowning, puzzled, and thinking "But, it looks nothing like the illustration in The Book!"

Whatever the case, that summoner is cool beans, and I cannot wait to see what he's called up!

• Like 4

Thanks for the input, everybody!

On 10/8/2017 at 2:41 PM, YronimosW said:

I rather like the pose - something about it says "Well, it's kind of puny... but it will have to do!"  (The infamous last words of many an evil spellcaster!  Remember kids, no matter how puny it looks, do not calle up that which ye cannot put downe!)

I don't suppose you've got a spare set of the Bobby Jackson cultists hanging around, do you?  I think something about the expressions on their faces and their poses seems to go nicely with the evil summoner... the one with the knife seems to be grinning sycophantically, "Oh, it's just perfect, master!"  And the one with the book seems to be frowning, puzzled, and thinking "But, it looks nothing like the illustration in The Book!"

Whatever the case, that summoner is cool beans, and I cannot wait to see what he's called up!

Thank you.

As you can see below, there's really no room for anyone else on the base i want to use. Those are some excellent suggestions, though.

So, I've had yet another brilliant idea; since I've got soooo much time to work with I'm gonna convert the guy even further by putting a weapon in his right hand.

IMG_1524.thumb.JPG.d601294864600758208d015d6cacf008.JPG

I was originally thinking of using the bones sword 'cause it;s got runes on it I could paint up all mystically to match some runes I intend to place around the summoning circle. For the same reason, I also like the sword on the right hand side of the first sprue of weapons. Ignore the second sprue of weapons, I've already ruled them out since i took the picture; all of the daggers are other options.

Which one should I use?

And here is what it's gonna look like (roughly).

IMG_1525.thumb.JPG.ea0a1e61bc5c4a6681a42b029b1d8612.JPG

• Like 8

I rather liked the default pose, including the empty fist, and an athame (dagger) would be traditional for this sort of thing, but I think I kind of prefer the Bones sword the more I think of it.  Some matching runes in a summoning circle, as you mentioned, would look great!

• Like 2

This is what I managed to get accomplished while working away from home in a not very well lit hotel room a couple days ago:

IMG_1526.thumb.JPG.fcc7f1ad719ae4d7a0a69d7d206caefb.JPG

And this is where I'm at after working on it yesterday/last night:

IMG_1527.thumb.JPG.c5e1440da79390f199a8c9a87e983081.JPG

I still need to decide if I'm going to give the dude a weapon and if so, what; finish painting him, paint the head and arm coming out of the portal (I'm going to try to do OSL on them, 'cause I have so much time left and lot's of successful OSL attempts under my belt, and I'm crazy)...

And I need to stop getting all kinds of excellent ideas about more things to do to this (See OSL comment, above)...

The state of the various components:

IMG_1528.JPG

Please let me know what you think.

Edited by Chaoswolf
forgot a picture
  • Like 8

And here's how it looks as of 1am this morning:

(note: nothing is secured to the base yet)

IMG_1529.thumb.JPG.1a5e66c2902c1c48608a867b0bab7fbf.JPG

IMG_1530.thumb.JPG.47f8e3148461a2740c4543010b866343.JPG

IMG_1531.thumb.JPG.ad27a85c4df69bd810e40e02b64ac5e4.JPG

Please let me know what you think.

• Like 10

I like it so far. From my view, it appears as if the demon is enjoying a spa day due to it leaning towards the back. If the head was towards the middle or another the hand was placed in front, it would appear to be climbing out.

Edit, no clue why my phone changed "the" to "another".

Edited by pcktlnt
  • Like 2

Wow; I especially like the horned summoner.  Were those roofing tiles you used to build the "pool" sides?  Great idea to paint up the weapons.

Edited by JLant
spelling
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

I like it so far. From my view, it appears as if the demon is enjoying a spa day due to it leaning towards the back. If the head was towards the middle or another the hand was placed in front, it would appear to be climbing out.

Edit, no clue why my phone changed "the" to "another".

LOL, I like that, "It's my day off, mortal! What do you want?"

Thanks for the feedback; the head and arm aren't secured yet, so I'll play around with posing a little bit.

20 minutes ago, JLant said:

Wow; I especially like the horned summoner.  Were those roofing tiles you used to build the "pool" sides?  Great idea to paint up the weapons.

Thank you!

No, I used some cork sheets from the local DIY store to build up the sides.

Which weapon do you think he should be holding?

• Like 2

Looks good.

Positioning the head and claw will either make or break the piece.

He should be looking as if he climbs out as the Dire Platypus mentioned.

• Like 1