Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Lithia surveyed her surroundings warily; the battle for this ship wasn't over yet. Thanks to the warning from that ELz-1 protection unit that their unusual passenger had, they were aware of the raiders almost as soon as they struck. The rest of the ship's security and crew had broken up into small groups to ferret out the attackers. Thanks to her background with the commandos, she was scouting ahead of the main group by herself, which was exactly how she liked it.
I found this figure on the melt table at Reapercon; she was headless and had some damage to her back, but I liked the figure and grabbed it anyway. I recently rediscovered her a few weeks ago while I was looking for something else, and decided to fix her up. Her head came from ShieldWolf miniatures plastic shieldmaiden kit, and I covered up the damage on her back by giving her a backpack/comm unit/tech thingy made from part of a GW plasma pistol, and bits of Bones sprue carved to shape.
Thanks for looking.
About a month ago I was at a birthday party for one of my friends and it was at that party I had an interesting conversation with another friend that lead to the creation of this miniature. This particular friend enjoys playing tabletop games and has recently been looking into playing Warhammer 40K. He already plays a few different GW games, so he is very aware of what he's getting into.
So while doing some research he came across fan art of the Imperial Guardsmen with fish heads, which he quickly pulled up on his phone and showed me. We both laughed and agreed that would be a ton of fun to play.
After that conversation I knew exactly what I wanted to give him for his birthday which was only a month away. Now a smart man would have taken that newly acquired knowledge and immediately started building. I however am not a smart man and I completely forgot about it until a few days before his party.
So I scrambled and quickly painted a Cadien I had leftover from a previous project, it wasn't a Guardsman but I figured he'd love it anyway. I still had to find a fish though and after four dollar stores I finally found the perfect fish head.
Finding the head was a godsend but I still had work to do. Over the course of three days I removed the head of the fish, primed it, painted it, and pinned it into the Cadien figure's neck. Then I sealed the figure and based it with some rocks and grass.
I finished this piece about three hours before the party. I don't really base my figures, so this is my first truly "complete" miniature and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.
I'd love to hear what you think, I won't be able to alter this piece but critiques are welcome.
By Chris Palmer
Over on the Ghost Archipelago thread in the Fantasy forum, I posted about a toy-elephant head I glued to a Bones Bugbear to make a creature called an Eritherean, which is featured in the Bestiary for those rules, and is essentially an elephantman. This led to a long discussion, and the inevitable gluing of the spare Bugbearhead to the Elephant's body.
It also made me realize how addictive head-swapping is, and since it was beginning to derail the Ghost Archieplago thread, I thought I'd open a new thread here for everybody to share any head-swapping projects they were doing.
To see the original thread, and subsequent discussion:
And here are the photos of my efforts so far:
So what have you been working on!?
here's another player character from my current Storm King's Thunder D&D campaign. One of my players has a rock gnome lore wizard. He didn't like the gnome miniatures from Reaper very much, but he loved the Halfling wizard. However, he insisted on wearing shoes and also to get rid of the familiar rabbit at the miniature's side. So this is a modified version with new shoes. I admit, they DO look a bit like giant wodden clogs, but hey - my player liked them anyway. Hope you like it!
As I'm actually getting to play 5e, and it looks like I'll get to keep playing for a while, I figured I should go ahead and pick a mini to represent my dwarven wizard.
Now, he isn't your typical wizard, even for a dwarf, as he goes around in a chain shirt and swings his warhammer. So the Dwarf Wizard minis, as fun as they are, are out. Going through my Bones collection, I came across this guy: Ivar, Dwarf Cleric
Not a perfect fit, especially the backpack, but not bad. Also going against him was the fact that his hammer was miscast on my copy.
So... to work!
I started by removing the backpack, and giving him a good scrub to make sure any mold remover was washed off.
Then I had to find a new hammer. The Bones Weapon Sprues had one that worked. Just about the right size...
Clipped off the old hammer, drilled out the hand...
And while I was at it, I cut off all the decorative stuff off the backpack, and trimmed the base. Then using my Happy Seppuku courtyard stamp, I gave him a fancier base to stand on. It's hard to see, but the pin is already in his hand, and you can sort of see the hole drilled in the shaft of the hammer.
And here it is all glued together!
Hmm... the anvil in the middle of the backpack... just doesn't do it for me. So I ripped the backpack off, and went back to my bits box.
In the end I cut the bedroll and lower bag completely away, and used some greenstuff and superglue to put it all back. The barrel is from one of the Games Workshop Brettonian Infantry kits... I think the bottle might be as well, but I'm not 100% on that. I'm still debating adding a length of rope to the backpack... but otherwise, the modding is done, and it's time to get painting!
Who's Online 12 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)