canuckotter

Monstrous unit ideas for Dragon Rampant?

11 posts in this topic

For my son's Christmas present, I'm letting him pick out an army for himself for Dragon Rampant. He's going with a monster theme. He's already picked out a couple Bones Burrowing Horrors, three Beastmen, and possibly some Arachnid Warriors and Archers. Goremaw is also going to have a place in his army. In general he's trying to stay away from humanoid figures (I'll probably get him a few more beastmen just to give him some more options), and he's got no interest in undead or aberrations - he just wants monsters. I believe the plan does call for some hordes of vermin as well. I'd prefer to stick with Bones as much as possible and definitely avoid metal if possible - these are going to be thrown in a box and carted around all over the place, metal figures would be chipped and wrecked in no time.

In theory he's picking out his own units but I want to be able to offer him some ideas, and I also want a couple surprises in there when he opens it up on Christmas day. ::): So! Anyone have any suggestions?

And for that matter, if you have good suggestions for other themed armies and units, feel free to toss those in... He's going to need opponents. ::): Especially for mounted units!

Thanks all!

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

This hulking minotaur is a fun one, though in Bones it had a tendency to fall over if it isn’t on a base. But it may be too humanoid for this purpose.

Edited by Sophie was taken
1 person likes this

It might be, but I think I'll grab it anyway and he can decide if he wants to include it. Would make a good leader for his army, I think. ::): Thanks!

Bathalians he might go for as foot soldiers. Good idea. ::): And the dragon tortoise definitely has potential as well. ::): I'm pretty sure he won't want the sharkman, because it's too human, but I'll suggest it to him to see what he thinks.

Thanks! ::D: 

2 people like this

Some of those D&D minis blink dogs would make a good unit to give the invisibility rule to.

The Pathfinder Jabberwock could be neat as well, especially if he's familiar with the poem.

3 people like this

Monsters, hmmm?

How about:

hell hounds

hydra

giant spiders

chimera

manticore

filth beast ( I think that's the name, anyway)

3 people like this

Oooh, a unit of faceless horrors would be cool, too.

1 person likes this

Purple worm.

Cloaker.

2 people like this

Don't forget owlbears!

Chimera do guard duty and unicorn make excellent Calvary

1 person likes this

Charnel Grubs and Carrion Worms (Bones 3, and not yet released) might be nice additions.

1 person likes this