NecroMancer

Frost giant cave (picture heavy)

19 posts in this topic

Really digging the blue skin and the furs!

2 people like this

Very nice work!  And great job with the details like the icicles!  Also, excellent work on the skin!

1 person likes this

Thanks!  I didn't realize in the pictures the sword is very similar is color to the skin.  In person you can tell I added some subtle colors to make to sword more distinct from the skin. 

1 person likes this

I really like how you did the fur, especially his cloak. Your icicles are awesome! Nice little scene you have and your giant is well painted. I also like how you applied the snow. Very natural looking.

1 person likes this

Nice diorama.  Snow, icicles, and pines are spot on. 

1 person likes this

Yeah I was pretty proud of the trees. It was the first time I had really tried to make them.  

1 hour ago, Pochi said:

I really like how you did the fur, especially his cloak. Your icicles are awesome! Nice little scene you have and your giant is well painted. I also like how you applied the snow. Very natural looking.

Thank you very much!  I hadn't used the snow flock before so I was just winging it. 

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

Yeah I was pretty proud of the trees. It was the first time I had really tried to make them.  

Thank you very much!  I hadn't used the snow flock before so I was just winging it. 

what technique and materials did you use for your snow and icecicles?  they look great!

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, edz16 said:

what technique and materials did you use for your snow and icecicles?  they look great!

The snow is just the Woodland Scenics snow flock and some baking soda mixed with water and pva glue. 

The icicles were made using plastic miniature champagne glasses. I just held the stem of the glasses over a tea candle till the plastic was soft the slowly pulled the two ends apart and let it cool down.  Then just made a few snips and used sand paper to shape them.  There are lots of tutorials on YouTube using GW flight stands but the glasses were all I had.

4 people like this

great job on this. The diorama really adds to the whole design concept. Yôr shading on your cape along with the skulls fits the whole piece together

1 person likes this

Awesome work!

Great base!

1 person likes this

Really cool! maybe even...cold? :blues:

thanks for sharing your icicle method, that's pretty great. I have a few minis that may need that treatment later.

2 people like this

Wow really looking good!

did you make the trees yorself? They are really great .. and very tall, if This is a giant. But trees Can grow super big! I have seen the sequoia trees.. And they are huge.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Sanael said:

Really cool! maybe even...cold? :blues:

thanks for sharing your icicle method, that's pretty great. I have a few minis that may need that treatment later.

Yeah they are pretty fun to make.  I have seen people use flight stands but I didn't have any of those.  I had even purchased a cheap bag of clear handled brushes and was going to use those until I found the plastic glasses.  I still may go back and try the brushes on another project.  I would say use any type of clear or frosted plastic that's not too big around.

I had made some other icicles using Modge Podge and I loved the shapes I could make but they had a very slight yellowish color that I was afraid would only get worse with time.

2 hours ago, LarsM said:

Wow really looking good!

did you make the trees yorself? They are really great .. and very tall, if This is a giant. But trees Can grow super big! I have seen the sequoia trees.. And they are huge.

Yeah I made the trees myself and they are super fun to make!  I was afraid they were too tall but we have lodge pole pines (which is what I was trying to recreate) here in Northern Colorado and they are huge!  Unfortunately since I made them so tall I am having a hard time getting descent pictures of the whole thing to enter into the contest.  

1 person likes this

As a stand alone piece, the Blue Giant is a WONDERFUL creation. HOWEVER, when placed in his GORGEOUS Winter setting, he becomes a FANTASTIC centerpiece. SPLENDIDLY WELL DONE!

1 person likes this