Morihalda

Nerali Bust - ReaperCon!

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Whoo! Time to paint for ReaperCon! RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH

22339299_504947923214631_6002574831942060211_o.thumb.jpg.ff2f9b26657a05a54bc86ade91ec9c24.jpg

I don't paint very often, and now that I'm entering a competition, it's painfully obvious that I don't know any techniques past basic color blocking and washing in shadows.

I need to try a whole bunch of new things. So! Let's learn:

- Dark elf skin (I want purple dark elves, to be specific)

- Soft, gray leather

- Wild hair color blending

- Fire

- OSL from the fire!

First, dark elf skin. I found the first page of @Corporea's Drow bust very helpful - her initial attempt was much too purple for her needs, but super close to how purple I want mine to be! I've also gathered my own mess of colors to test out fun things! ::): 

59dbd209a1d5b_skincolors.png.09d954d9bc8b6bcee1b9109b554f6467.png

Edited by Morihalda
12 people like this

I liked the spectral white- it has a hint of purple in it and if you want to live in the purple range, that'll help keep you there.

One thing I've learned with skin, no matter what color you want it to be, make sure you choose a desaturated version of it.  meaning- using a super bright color looks funky when we think of skin as being varying shades of neutral- tan, buff, beige, rust, ocher, etc.  All human skin tones live in a softer world rather than a super-bright punk rock world. So when I translate this to monster skintones I choose a quieter color, be it blue, purple, green, etc. A bright/saturated color will make the result more "cartoony." this is a valid approach and leads to some fun minis, but on a bust it may look to intense. To that end, dark elf skin has a surprising amount of purple tone to it. It may be all you need to stay in the purple world without delving into the "real" purples. At most, I'd say glaze with the purples if you feel like you need them

For busts- get a good high quality photo of a starlette of your choice to see where all the shadows and highlights fall on a face.

Pick a light source early to help guide this as well. if your fire is your source, be aware it will change the skin tone nearby.  I always do my highlighting with the source in mind without the light color first (meaning pretend it's white light and highlight up THEN add the color of the light glazed over it)

I'll try to check in and help!  Good luck!!!

3 people like this

9 minutes ago, Corporea said:

I liked the spectral white- it has a hint of purple in it and if you want to live in the purple range, that'll help keep you there.

One thing I've learned with skin, no matter what color you want it to be, make sure you choose a desaturated version of it.  meaning- using a super bright color looks funky when we think of skin as being varying shades of neutral- tan, buff, beige, rust, ocher, etc.  All human skin tones live in a softer world rather than a super-bright punk rock world. So when I translate this to monster skintones I choose a quieter color, be it blue, purple, green, etc. A bright/saturated color will make the result more "cartoony." this is a valid approach and leads to some fun minis, but on a bust it may look to intense. To that end, dark elf skin has a surprising amount of purple tone to it. It may be all you need to stay in the purple world without delving into the "real" purples. At most, I'd say glaze with the purples if you feel like you need them

For busts- get a good high quality photo of a starlette of your choice to see where all the shadows and highlights fall on a face.

Pick a light source early to help guide this as well. if your fire is your source, be aware it will change the skin tone nearby.  I always do my highlighting with the source in mind without the light color first (meaning pretend it's white light and highlight up THEN add the color of the light glazed over it)

I'll try to check in and help!  Good luck!!!

Thanks so much! I appreciate any and all feedback. :) 

The light source is going to be a mess - she is literally surrounded by fire.

I have no idea how to paint OSL on someone who is encircled by fire.

1 person likes this

hmmn. it may be safer to pretend the fire is a general light source then.  rather than hitting her with multiple light sources, pretend the fire lights up the whole room evenly like our typical sunny day.  You may want to consider magical colored fire then, otherwise she will just look orange.

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, Corporea said:

hmmn. it may be safer to pretend the fire is a general light source then.  rather than hitting her with multiple light sources, pretend the fire lights up the whole room evenly like our typical sunny day.  You may want to consider magical colored fire then, otherwise she will just look orange.

This is one of the only images I can find with someone by a lot of fire instead of just one side. 

dancing_frontpage_fire_IV.jpg

Here are a few faces I've quickly tinted with various amounts of purple. I don't want her to be totally orange. :down: 

faces.thumb.png.ff520117f0cb6210c053ba7acc2f5dee.png

I think if I can pretend that the fire is more dim than it really is/easily blocked by things like breasts and collars, I should be able to get an interesting orange/purple lighting. I tested this by holding the bust extremely close to a light source to mimic the lighting

She has red hair. Orange, red, purple.... What am I doing with all these colors LOL. At least her gray vest should tone things down a bit.

Edited by Morihalda
5 people like this

Posted (edited)

Okay! A photo of Nerali has been added to the original post.

This is the skin tone I settled on. These are average numbers, not true ratios. I like it because it's more of a blue-purple, rather than a red-purple, and there's going to be plenty of red with that fire. :zombie: 

Super highlight (not pictured): 3 Spectral White + 1 Rosy Skin

Highlight: 1 Spectral White + 1 Rosy Skin + 1 Dark Elf Highlight

Midtone: 1 Dark Elf Skin

Shadows: 2 Dark Elf Skin + 2 Regal Purple + 1 Dark Shadow

Deepest Shadow: 1 Regal Purple + 2 Dark Shadow

Deeeeeeepest Shadow: 1 Dark Shadow + 1 Nightshade Purple

I love that big seam line on the leg, so much that I didn't remove it. <_< 

22361382_504953199880770_1822346204_n.jpg.ae0a18d5959e5282232c6a4d317ff506.jpg

Edited by Morihalda
4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Here are some extreeeeeme photos where I held her up to my light to see where the fire light will be!

If I paint the skin with this kind of lighting with normal colors, and then I glaze orangey fire colors over it, that's OSL, right?

(no photo, OSL tests done with Orange Brown leading up to Golden Glow)

22384922_504956143213809_97094809_n.thumb.jpg.4c62af5b91c2129574f408875bba45a6.jpg

I keep my pumpkin and snowflake lights up year round, so I used them to imitate some other lighting examples.

22407635_504959136546843_489105124_n.thumb.jpg.142175a430649f33ee082995199a848e.jpg

Edited by Morihalda
5 people like this

cool! ok- so OSL. yes- if you highlight up the face where the light will be all the way up even higher than you want to go with the highlighting, then glaze over it you're golden.  you also must contrast where the light isn't with shadow deeper than you want to shade to help sell the contrast.  The lightest area in the entire piece should be your light source. It should be the only area where you use pure white again, to help sell it as "light." remember that you will lose some contrast when you glaze the light's color over your skin. This is why you have to go overboard with highlighting if that makes sense.

1 person likes this

oh- gurney has some good examples of Abe's face done with different lighting

I can't seem to link to his blog, but  google has many of his blog images if you don't own his color and light book

try gooling gurney portrait lighting

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Corporea said:

cool! ok- so OSL. yes- if you highlight up the face where the light will be all the way up even higher than you want to go with the highlighting, then glaze over it you're golden.  you also must contrast where the light isn't with shadow deeper than you want to shade to help sell the contrast.  The lightest area in the entire piece should be your light source. It should be the only area where you use pure white again, to help sell it as "light." remember that you will lose some contrast when you glaze the light's color over your skin. This is why you have to go overboard with highlighting if that makes sense.

That's where it made sense for me. Okay, I can definitely try that!

That's why she just kinda looked like she had an orange and purple leg then, especially without a painted light by it to sell the effect. I hadn't gone to the brightest highlights since I was just testing color combos.

This is just a few (too thick) passes with Orange Brown leading up to Golden Glow:

(also WOW, no wonder pro painters get so worked up over seam lines!)

22385233_504965536546203_147120338_n.jpg.027c7652f35f2482b04fb1ede143a983.jpg

5 people like this

16 minutes ago, Corporea said:

oh- gurney has some good examples of Abe's face done with different lighting

I can't seem to link to his blog, but  google has many of his blog images if you don't own his color and light book

try gooling gurney portrait lighting

I did find those, awesome! I also found:

"These two paintings were done of the same model, one in white light, and the other in colored lights. The color you mix is a combination of the local color and the color of the light source."

Image result for gurney portrait lighting

Armed with that and your extra contrast comment (we really do see that everywhere, don't we... :rolleyes:), I tried this out - a few quick passes with Orange Brown leading up to Golden Glow again, but adding a tiny bit of Spectral White and the Dark Elf Skin, and then gently passing over with Regal Purple.

22361210_504968326545924_209852920_n.thumb.jpg.561641b7e79caa710dba97c840cc4f78.jpg

4 people like this

If you want to see more interesting lighting on faces, try googling portrait photography with colored light. There are some really interesting effects on that search term.

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

If you want to see more interesting lighting on faces, try googling portrait photography with colored light. There are some really interesting effects on that search term.

:wow::wow::wow: Thank you!!! That was how I wanted to paint my Ma'al but I couldn't find any good photos that matched what I saw in my head! I ended up in neon blacklight sugar skulls territory before calling it quits. Don't ask how, I don't know. My googling skills are... different...

AHHHH. Thanks!!

Related image

Edited by Morihalda
4 people like this

Fast fire test!

22407488_504988339877256_506373891_n.thumb.jpg.a12199c9f769a0cab055031add6c20cf.jpg

22429144_504988759877214_1596040365_o.thumb.jpg.4527ddd6f1973e214d5feca233fe657b.jpg

6 people like this

Gray suede practice. I tried 3 different pale grays, and yet they all looked the same. <_< 

Some quick stippling. Like the other stuff in this post, I'll take more time on it. Just quick practice here!

22386394_504999843209439_2121856620_n.thumb.jpg.c0d4b826665b38c60569012ee2093de1.jpg

5 people like this