Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pcktlnt

03627: Stieg Brinegrog, Pirate

16 posts in this topic

Was attempting tattoos and didn't like the mess I made. I started over by dunking in simple green (regretting that decision). Attempt #2! I should document my progress, this should help push me. Using grey primer because I can't find my white primer.

09299: MSP Core Colors: Grey Primer

59dc23f5b9c16_01-Front.thumb.jpg.75a3a25599dbe7020d6c48c7f415a9db.jpg

59dc23ffaa110_02-Back.thumb.jpg.183abdfd318b87b203813ac3973268c8.jpg

Edited by pcktlnt
7 people like this

Good figure to practice tattoos! 

1 person likes this

Sunburn. Hmm... I should figure out a way to clean up that mold line on his right arm. I just noticed he has no nipples. Uh...how do I paint them on? Or do I cover with a tattoo?

09401: Dragon Red

59dc3b0b0fdf0_03-Front.thumb.jpg.e0a3d60fa0a808879f98a32b951be0a9.jpg

59dc3b0f38729_04-Back.thumb.jpg.a2e785a15e6da895f07d95f645574309.jpg

Edited by pcktlnt
6 people like this

Gloss-coat the mold line, then repaint the sunburn. It will smooth the mold line a little bit at least. 

I vote to paint on the nipples. I had to do that on Angry Dwarf. How? Pick the color of the aureolas, slightly darker than the skin. Then one step darker for the nipple. That'll do the job in a simple fashion. 

4 people like this

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

Gloss-coat the mold line, then repaint the sunburn. It will smooth the mold line a little bit at least. 

I vote to paint on the nipples. I had to do that on Angry Dwarf. How? Pick the color of the aureolas, slightly darker than the skin. Then one step darker for the nipple. That'll do the job in a simple fashion. 

Forgot about the sealer trick. It's looking better. *thumbs up*

2 people like this

I'm happy with tonight's progress. Did I apply too much paint on the skin? There's also something about his eyes that throws me off.

29827: HD Griffon Tan

59dc6142db86d_05-Front.thumb.jpg.bca805e45b2df371521ff3ab371ff469.jpg

59dc614c1cf41_06-Back.thumb.jpg.640c88e93392f9a4d46da99300933e2e.jpg

Notice me captain senpai!! *sparkly eyes* He's no longer the grizzled pirate I am imagining. 

29814: HD Ice Blue (Too bright of a color? Eyes too big?)

59dc616591b53_07-Eyes.thumb.jpg.c51d5d8bad9ee95aee59a713dc9b5fdd.jpg

5 people like this

The eyes are simultaneously really good, and really big for the socket. I think that your method is spot-on, but would do better if it was shrunk down a bit. However, they look good, and they're symmetrical. Keep them! He's now a "staring intently at someone" type of pirate! 

Hard to say regarding the skin question. The application of paint seems good, although it seems like you changed your mind from the sun-burn to the tan? This guy has so much muscle and gut that you'll be able to do some serious shadowing/highlighting on the skin without it seeming like "too much". Heck, if you're going for tattoos, the amount of contouring he has is going to challenge you to add bits of shadow/highlight to the tattoos as well. 

1 person likes this

Ah, the sunburn was silliness from myself because he was painted red. That was just the undercoat for the skin to give him a more healthy tone instead of ill/undead tone due to the grey primer. Yea, I'm thinking I'm biting off more than I can chew on the tattooing, but we shall see!

It's kind of fun googling sailor tattoos. There are some NSFW images there as well. O__o.

2 people like this

Meh. The worst to happen is you end up stripping it again. More likely, it goes mostly well, and you do a few skin touch-ups along the way ^_^ 

I too am finding that painting can lead to some odd and NSFW google searches. For my necromancer woman I tried looking up bandaged arm wounds - that was a bad and gory idea. Googling snake tattoos was a bit less disturbing. 

1 person likes this

Looks nice.

Tattoos, the trick is to paint them on, then glaze over them with the skin midtone.

Keep doing that till you are satisfied.

By glazing the skin over the tats it will look like the tattoos are embedded in the skin instead of painted on.

Glaze..thin..repeat after dry etc...

3 people like this

First freehand! Wooo! Tattoo on the back! The front sail will have crossbones on it tomorrow night. And the front sail looks crooked. Oops?

59e06623b52e8_08-BackTattoo.thumb.jpg.eed0b771142143ca9eb3d8f8711d8cca.jpg

Edited by pcktlnt
8 people like this

cool

1 person likes this

Now who is going to tell him his tat has a crooked sail...  not me!

This is adventuress for sure... Are you going to glaze some skin tone over it to give it that under the skin look?

1 person likes this

That is correct. Right now I'm just canvassing the back.

Two lessons learned while attempting to glaze the skin.

1) I should wait for paint to dry.

2) I'm now positive I have no clue what a glaze looks like.

Fixed the tattoo (kind of) and moved on to painting the pants. Will attempt to glaze again.

1 person likes this