Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cyradis

CA Fires

14 posts in this topic

Are our California friends okay right now? The fires in NorCal are super nasty, and even if you aren't in the fire, the smoke is going all over. 

2 people like this

I know @pcktlnt is near the NorCal fires but I believe he is on the south side of the bay. Down here in LA, we only have the one last time I checked. It is fairly close to me but moving away. 

7 people like this

While being on the eastern side of Oregon, our fire season in the Cascades affected our air (hazy, crappy air quality) for a few weeks. Travelling over to Eugene & Bend last month put us right in the middle (or at least close to them) of the fires. Funny when we came back a week later we must have brought the change of season with us, as it's never been as hot as it was before we left.:unsure:

While I haven't kept up on the fires since we came back, hoping the change in weather has helped em out tremendously. Cali & Ore were the worst states this year for fire season.

4 people like this

My Mom is near Eugene and wasn't even walking her dogs because the smoke was so bad a few weeks ago. She took them out to let them take a poo, and herself out for groceries only, until it was clear. I have a few friends evacuating or pre-evac prepping for the CA fires right now. Whole thing is a mess. Mom's cousin had to leave her cat behind - cat was so freaked by the smoke and alarms that it was attacking everyone and she couldn't get it into a box ::(: Favorite winery is okay, but one a few blocks away got demolished. 

The only bad days we had last month was the day we left Eugene to go to Bend & 1 evening in Bend. We stopped at a C-store in McKenzie Bridge or one of those small 1 or 2 building towns. It was bad, about the only time, it really affected me. The fire line must have been a few miles away as we drove off & down the road I noticed a house & truck with a trailer I saw on the local news the night before. They were talking with a man who was on a high alert evac. Kinda of a weird experience.

Bend was only bad for one day & that was due to the winds whipped up late in the evening, bringing in the smoke from area fires. Thankfully, the reason my wife & I went to Eugene (Ducks football game) it was probably the best day of the trip. Low 80s, clear & pretty much smoke free.

2 people like this

Two of our friends live in the north bay. They were evacuated.

We live on the Peninsula (the stretch of land between San Francisco and San Jose), a little over forty miles from the fires. Even on the smoggiest of days, you can usually see the mountains surrounding the Bay. The last couple of days, they are completely obscured. There is just this yellow haze all around in every direction.

Right now, it's a little clearer in the South Bay. I am at work a few miles from San Jose, and I can finally see a nearby mountain through the veil, and some blue peeking through above.

But yeah, nosebleeds and scratchy throats, even forty miles from the action.

Blergh. I grew up in Fremont. That area shouldn't have any obscuring except for the morning fog layers. ::(: I'm glad my dad is out of town taking grammum on a vacation. He's terribly asthmatic, and this would destroy him. 

1 person likes this

Yea, I'm south of the area, near Fremont actually. The only trouble I had was the weird smell in the morning, the increase in temperature (is it due to the fire and smoke?), and my two nosebleeds (more likely coincidence). 

Last I heard, firefighters are still fighting the fires and the winds dying down is a plus. My customers from Sonoma have been working in our building yesterday and today and are glad that their family and friends were evacuated safely. One isn't sure about his property but hoping that it's not in immediate danger.

4 people like this

Here in Southern California, we are doing okay. I am in Yucaipa (thats Inland empire, San Bernardino county basically), and so far just one minor fire near us lately (But man, I saw the tanker's going in, thats how close), but I know there is another fire at the 91/241 freeway called Canyon fire 2 (I actually had to go through that area when I worked for TWC, and went throught when canyone fire 1 happened) and I have a few friends near that, but they are okay right now. The tankers are actually refueling near me at San Bernardino airport to fight that fire.

4 people like this

1 hour ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Here in Southern California, we are doing okay. I am in Yucaipa (thats Inland empire, San Bernardino county basically), and so far just one minor fire near us lately (But man, I saw the tanker's going in, thats how close), but I know there is another fire at the 91/241 freeway called Canyon fire 2 (I actually had to go through that area when I worked for TWC, and went throught when canyone fire 1 happened) and I have a few friends near that, but they are okay right now. The tankers are actually refueling near me at San Bernardino airport to fight that fire.

I did not know you guys had one by you. The Canyon and Canyon 2 fires were the only recent ones here that I was aware of. I am north of them and both headed away from where I am at so all I had to deal with was the traffic chaos that occurred. 

2 people like this

It's worse today. The air quality has hit record lows in some places in the Bay Area and it's expected to get worse over the next couple of days.

Kids are being sent home from school on the Peninsula, 40 miles from the fires themselves, due to bad air quality.

5 hours ago, SGHawkins09 said:

I did not know you guys had one by you. The Canyon and Canyon 2 fires were the only recent ones here that I was aware of. I am north of them and both headed away from where I am at so all I had to deal with was the traffic chaos that occurred. 

It was a few weeks ago, on San Timeteo Canyon rd (used to briefly do a mail route on that road), near Live oak canyon pumpkin patch off the 10 freeway.

On 10/10/2017 at 1:28 PM, Cyradis said:

Are our California friends okay right now? The fires in NorCal are super nasty, and even if you aren't in the fire, the smoke is going all over. 

OK here on the Mojave.

Our big worry is Cajon Pass catching fire and closing down I-15.

This may sound cynical but enough of the pass area has burned over the last 3 years that this should be a low danger year for a major fire.

As soon as te chaparell has time to get a couple of good years healthy growth, unlike the last few of drought, the probability of one or more bad fires will increase.

I personally have an extra concern over the fires in the Napa area as our Fraternity [Odd Fellows & Rebekahs] has a large retirement complex [Napa Meadows] in that area.

The fires in both SoCal and NorCal are devastating a lot of families so any good thoughts or prayers you might be able to send their ways are appreciated.

GEM

1 person likes this

The sun is red and hazy and the air smells constantly of wood smoke.

But honestly it could be far far worse, so I consider myself lucky.

2 people like this