SamuraiJack

Live
Time of Legends: Joan of Arc

35 posts in this topic

About this project

88013c70323034068e545ad460322066_origina

15bffcc0bc8f82e4aeec65bc1a8878e3_origina

Time of Legends: Joan of Arc is a narrative miniatures board game that plunges you into the heart of the Hundred Years’ War. In this dark, medieval universe, kings plot for the throne of France, and on the battlefield their heroic knights clash with foes both real and legendary.

97a260f218948a82dff5585b7e2ef2ff_origina

For more than a century, from 1337 to 1453, the fields of France rang to the sound of constant warfare. The Hundred Years’ War is one of the longest wars ever fought and is the source of many of our collective ideas about heroic knights of old. It was also a time of myths and legends, and a fervent faith in the literal truth of the doctrine of Holy Mother Church. It is this world of strife and faith that this game recreates.

In Time of Legends: Joan of Arc, all the creatures that the medieval people thought were real, are real. Whether they are represented on tapestries, in stained glass windows, or in illuminated manuscripts, we take them at their word. It is this dark and epic universe that you will explore in the game’s many scenarios. Some are historical, with no taint of the whispered legends of strange creatures. Others are replete with the supernatural or (saints preserve us) demonic.

You are free to control the army of miniatures that represent your heroes, knights and peasants as you wish in order to achieve your goals. You will decide who moves and where; whether your forces explore, pray, converse with locals, or simply charge into battle. But before we get to the field of glory, you must first choose your side.

9df89002c44bf4749106f3f18093ed34_origina

Joan Of Arc, Bertrand Du Guesclin, La Hire, Gilles de Rais & Jean de Dunois (miniatures are supplied assembled and unpainted) Joan Of Arc, Bertrand Du Guesclin, La Hire, Gilles de Rais & Jean de Dunois (miniatures are supplied assembled and unpainted)

The French have a very large army whose leaders follow the code of chivalry to the letter. These noble knights form the main striking force of the army, with their infantry taking a subservient role. The French employ few archers, but do hire efficient crossbowmen to fight alongside their men-at-arms. All these warriors fight on behalf of the King of France, who sees the war as a chance to reclaim lands lost to the English under earlier monarchs.

The Black Prince, Falstaff, John Talbot, John Chandos & John of Lancaster (note that minis come assembled and unpainted) The Black Prince, Falstaff, John Talbot, John Chandos & John of Lancaster (note that minis come assembled and unpainted)

The English king considers himself the legitimate heir to the throne of France, and there is some truth in this. In fact, he only failed to gain the crown because the French changed the rule of royal succession to stop him.

The English army, though considerably less numerous than the French, are formidable combatants, who often have the best strategists. Their longbowmen wreak havoc on the battlefield, and have repeatedly bested the cream of French chivalry in battle. This is a slight that the French knights are determined to avenge.

Archange Gabriel, the Unicorn & Angel (note that minis come assembled and unpainted) Archange Gabriel, the Unicorn & Angel (note that minis come assembled and unpainted)

The army of God is made up of powerful, heavenly beings like the angels and archangels. They fight their righteous battles alongside the lesser creatures of God, and the weary mortals who struggle with sin, but are devoted to their creator.

The Holy Army can be played independently, or allied with the French, or the English.

The Witch, the Werewolf & the Ghost Warrior (note that minis come assembled and unpainted) The Witch, the Werewolf & the Ghost Warrior (note that minis come assembled and unpainted)

The Devil’s army is made up of all sorts of foul creatures: werewolves, demons, skeletons, dragons, witches, and many more. Countless fallen mortals march alongside this monstrous host, having cast aside their God and sold their souls for mere wealth or power. It is rumoured that in this dark time, when the End of Days has never seemed so close, even the Devil himself may make an appearance...

The Unholy Army can be played independently, or allied with the French, or the English.

The dragon for this is very cool.

Too bad it's only available in a package that includes things I have no interest in.

Still. For $65 I do wonder what the quality and material are like.

IMG_0657.JPG

2 people like this

65 usd is a great price! Love this dragon. :)

1 person likes this

The great thing about the dragon is that it won't look out of scale among larger figures from other companies.

1 person likes this

They said their minis are hard plastic and come assembled but not painted.. so might be tougher to paint.. but I want other parts of that expansion so I'm watching for now..  i can see what the Reapercon damage is to my bank account first

If those were 28mm or heroic scale, I'd be all over this. But as they are smaller (don't know by how much), I'm not that interested.

1 person likes this

From the comments:

"the individual bases on a single infantry figure are 15mm wide. The larger bases that hold 2 or 3 miniatures are 33mm wide."

Those are wee small as far as I can tell.  I imagine they would be more like board game pieces than miniatures (if that distinction makes any sense.)

You could always pimp them out as a gnome army i suppose.

I really like the idea of this game but would be more interested if the miniatures were color-coded rather than having those rings.  There's no way I would ever paint any of them and grey is boring. 

1 person likes this

It's bad that I kind of want this game just for its name...my patron saint is Joan of Arc...makes me want this...

But I'd probably never play it. 

4 people like this

I backed Mythic Battles: Pantheon, which is being produced jointly by Monolith Board Games LLC and Mythic Games.  It is supposed to deliver in December, but who knows.  It makes me a little wary for another Kickstarter project to start before the first one is finished.  That said communication has been good on the Pantheon page.

Edited by HornedTurtle

This is of course all fantasy nonsense.....everyone knows the French were the baddies

1 person likes this

That is what fantasy is for, impossible things, lol.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, HornedTurtle said:

I backed Mythic Battles: Pantheon, which is being produced jointly by Monolith Board Games LLC and Mythic Games.  It is supposed to deliver in December, but who knows.  It makes me a little wary for another Kickstarter project to start before the first one is finished.  That said communication has been good on the Pantheon page.

From everything they've been saying, MB:Pantheon is still on track to ship on time, barring things that are out of their control (Customs, etc...). I'm willing to bet that it was either launch this now, or with the holidays they would probably have to wait until next year.

Given that we've pretty much seen production samples for almost everything from MB, and I do believe Quirkworthy has stated that things are on boats, I'm not too worried about them launching this one, except where my wallet is concerned.

1 person likes this

Figures are too small and I already backed too many KS this year.  

I do really like the Holy and Unholy figures and that dragon is amazing!  

Maybe I'll pick it up in a few years from the Bay of Evil but for now its a pass. 

1 person likes this

I have to admit, this is the first time I've heard the Hundred Years' War referred to as a "universe" :lol: .  But then I scrolled down a bit and I see all the fun fantasy stuff and it all makes sense.  I love with mixing historicals with fantasy.

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, Beagle said:

This is of course all fantasy nonsense.....everyone knows the French were the baddies

Everyone apart from the French, apparently.

1 person likes this