Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Bedlam

Bad Decisions In Horror Movies

16 minutes ago, Reaperbryan said:

OMG Don't get me started on Kvothe. Now don't get me wrong, I am thoroughly enjoying the books and anxiously await book 3. But Kvothe does not nothing but do stupid things.

Now, to be fair, the smartest people I know are complete goobers in real life. Anything outside of their field, including normal everyday "being a grown up" stuff like gassing up your car or wearing a jacket, and they stuff it up like Kvothe before the council. SO that's fair, i guess

I'm here, two days after the first snow storm, wearing a jacket with my usual flipflips. Rule is just "if snow or yucky cold stuff is in my path, or I'm doing field work, wear shoes". The snow is *next to* the path. Flip flops are fine. I forgot to check the weather to see if we're getting another sudden burst though, so I may end up frigid as I have many times before. *shrug*
Intellect versus Wisdom scores. Being Grown Up is definitely a Wisdom check, not an Intellect check. 

1 minute ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Well, in all candor, ONE cheerleader or jock or stoner who does ONE idiotic thing in a movie doesn't spoil the movie. It's when the writer basically moves the characters around like pawns with no regard for any sort of common sense or sense of self preservation that drives me nuts.

The one exception was Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil, but that was a parody of your typical Spam In A Cabin movie. And Cabin In The Woods, of course, but you get a complete explanation of all the questionable decisions as you go.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil is absolutely awesome and hilarious satire. 

• Like 5

... Or Shaun of the Dead, while also being a horror-comedy, is about a group of life-long screw-ups continuing to be screw-ups during a zombie apocalypse.  The fun of that movie is watching their inevitable downward spiral.

The only thing that irritated me about that movie were a few scenes where the undead literally appeared to be holding back, just to let the plot continue.

• Like 6

If the stupid is acknowledged in the movie/book/whatever as being stupid later, with some sort of handwave at an explanation, great. People do intellectually and emotionally stupid things all the time. What's infuriating is when stupid just happens without notice in-world.

Note that this is just as common in comedies as it is in horror.

Yes, there are situations where one sentence would have avoided all the problems and yet nobody ever talks or seems to notice in the real world. And the first time somebody wrote about those situations (probably in cuneiform), it might have been clever. At this point it's sloppy writing purchased by lazy producers/editors.

• Like 6

Part of the problem is that it's not universal.

Berni finally got me to watch this movie, Shallow Grave, in which Ewan McGregor, Christopher Eccleston, and Kerry Fox are roommates whose fourth flatmate is suddenly dead... and there's a suitcase full of money under his bed. And we've already established that these three are horrible people. And gangsters are trying to find the money.

It's a suspense film that rapidly becomes a horror movie, albeit one that veers back and forth from horror to black comedy, and it managed to surprise me repeatedly. All our characters are jerks, sure, but they aren't STUPID jerks, and they actually do a fine job of NOT carrying the idiot ball. It's a very well written film.

On the flip side, we have movies like Jurassic World, which are BUILT ON TOP of the idiot ball, and doing their durndest not to topple off before the final credits roll. Did ANYONE think that breeding a gigantic superintelligent carnosaur in order to sell T-shirts and toys to kids who are bored with T-Rex wasn't an insane idea? Obviously, because they did it. And let's hire Chris Pratt to ... train velociraptors? And then Vincent D'Onofrio wants to weaponize the dratted things? Did none of these people see any of the previous movies? Well, yeah, but we're doing it anyway, because of Rule Of Cool and we're hoping you won't think about it too hard until after the tickets are sold, y'know?

And looking inward, I can't tell you why it irritates me when Fumbles goes poking around blindly in the dark basement, but not when DinoCo wants to breed superintelligent giant dinosaurs as a tourist attraction. At least when a college kid jumps into a wood chipper in front of a horrified Dale, I can tell myself it's "Rule Of Funny" as opposed to "idiot ball."

Roger Ebert coined a phrase, "Idiot Plot." He defined it as a plot that ONLY works because all the characters are idiots; any Real People who blundered in and promptly began acting like real people with genuine sense and self preservation instincts would cause the story to fall apart. But don't ask me why I found it permissable in Jurassic World, but not in any number of slasher movies.

• Like 10

jurrasic world had dinosaurs. major cool points for dinosuars and cgi.  I can sit through a movie with good cgi and at least enjoy the special effects, right? even if the female lead runs around in high heels.  sigh.

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Corporea said:

jurrasic world had dinosaurs. major cool points for dinosuars and cgi.  I can sit through a movie with good cgi and at least enjoy the special effects, right? even if the female lead runs around in high heels.  sigh.

...wul, like I said earlier, she didn't get up that morning and think, "Hmm, going to be chased by dinosaurs today... oh, the hell with it, I'm wearing the knock-me-down-and-boink-me shoes."

• Like 8

Somehow the women in France manage to have stiletto heels, in rain, on cobblestones, on a slope. 

They must have serious Balance skill. 

• Like 9

Because -

One of the things that Megan and I have really been enjoying while watching the second season of The Flash is how consistently the heroes avoid the Idiot Ball.

The Chief needs to know that somebody he has known for years has been replaced with an EEEVVVIIILLL version?

They went and told him! - I swear, they avoided about half a season's worth of nonsense with that. ::):

It is so nice seeing the team sharing information, and not have each trying to play their own hand.

The Auld Grump

• Like 10

And then there is... April Fool's Day (1986)....

spoiler Where all the characters killed in the movie stand up and yell 'April Fools!' at the lone survivor... the whole thing being a prank that folks aren't let in on until they have been 'killed'....[/spoiler]

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Corporea said:

Note to producers of suspense films and shows:

Knocking the heels off of high-heeled shoes and putting them back on your feet gives you ...

badly misshapen shoes that curl your feet up and are impossible to move in.  Also ruined.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Note to producers of suspense films and shows:

Knocking the heels off of high-heeled shoes and putting them back on your feet gives you ...

badly misshapen shoes that curl your feet up and are impossible to move in.  Also ruined.

And people that do not go barefoot will have a really hard time with just taking their shoes off, and running without them.

Really, just to be safe, in the event of zombie attack - don't wear high heels, you'll be safer. ::P:

Mind you... Megan refuses to wear high heels, and prefers flats, boots, or wedges....

And Jackie went with men's shoes, when she could get them in her size....

It could be that my viewpoint is skewed in favor of practical footwear.

The Auld Grump - Megan once took the time to explain to me about something called 'hammertoe'... Why?! Why would anybody do that to their feet? Why?! Not all bad decisions need a horror movie.... (Megan used to be a model.... These things came up in her world.)

• Like 7

Running in bare feet for more than a hundred yards requires years of training, usually starting as a kid. It takes a certain level of self-discipline and/or juvenile pigheadedness to put up with sharp rocks, stupid hot asphalt, hot sand, spiky weeds, the occasional piece of glass hiding in the rocks, etc.

So those kids who refuse to wear shoes and end up as flip-flop-wearing adults who kick them shoes off at any opportunity will own the zombie apocalypse. And have all of the calluses. And really wide ugly feet.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Running in bare feet for more than a hundred yards requires years of training, usually starting as a kid. It takes a certain level of self-discipline and/or juvenile pigheadedness to put up with sharp rocks, stupid hot asphalt, hot sand, spiky weeds, the occasional piece of glass hiding in the rocks, etc.

Don't forget slugs. Shards of glass ain't got nuthin' compared to a slug exploding underfoot.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

So those kids who refuse to wear shoes and end up as flip-flop-wearing adults who kick them shoes off at any opportunity will own the zombie apocalypse. And have all of the calluses. And really wide ugly feet.

That was kinda my point.

And let us not forget worms.... (Do not walk barefoot in manure. Just don't.) *EDIT* Pinworms, that is, not just worms that go all squishy whens you stomps 'em, but the ones that get into your flesh and make it their home....

Back on topic, sometimes it is the monsters i the movie that make... questionable decisions....

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, etherial said:

Don't forget slugs. Shards of glass ain't got nuthin' compared to a slug exploding underfoot.

Once... just once... *shudder* I'd rather step on a bee again. 

• Like 3