Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr.Bedlam

Bad Decisions In Horror Movies

84 posts in this topic

Honestly, I always though the worst decision regarding horror movies was to decide to watch them...

 

Haven't seen one since I saw young frankenstein years ago. 

 

BTW: The one-legged zombie in Dead snow II?

Nope, not CGI...  

 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gadgetman! said:

 

 

BTW: The one-legged zombie in Dead snow II?

Nope, not CGI...  

 

 

Dead Snow is one I actually enjoy. Still need to see the second. The first gives up at suspence and runs into gory satire part way through; I think that was the key part. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, they've taken it into the absurd with over-the-top violence.  

And that was really the intention, too.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Yeah, they've taken it into the absurd with over-the-top violence.  

And that was really the intention, too.

 

Also Nazi-bashing. Can't forget that. 

 

The first may be my only beloved zombie non-zomedy, but satire... yeah. I was in a zombie movie night group for a year or so during undergrad. That and Fido were some of our favorites. We liked the absurdity. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I always liked the splitting up one. Like, strength in numbers right? You know people are being murdered. You know something is hunting you. Why not split up to investigate things? 

 

The stoner's response to that in Cabin in the Woods was just the best ever. :lol:


You remind me of a commercial that was in heavy rotation a while back. I absolutely loved this commercial.

It starts with a bunch of teens in the spooky house in the woods, and in fifteen seconds, these kids trip over EVERY idiot ball trope common to Spam In A Cabin movies... to the point where at one point, we pan to the giant redneck in a mask with a chainsaw. He removes his mask to reveal an expression of confused disbelief... and then rolls his eyes with a "Why me?" look on his face. Meanwhile, IIRC, the kids are heard in the distance saying, "Let's head for the cemetery!"
 

Ah. Thanks to the magic of YouTube...

"Let's hide behind all the chainsaws!"

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
10 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Haven't seen one since I saw young frankenstein years ago. 

 

...Young Frankenstein isn't a horror movie...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:


You remind me of a commercial that was in heavy rotation a while back. I absolutely loved this commercial.

It starts with a bunch of teens in the spooky house in the woods, and in fifteen seconds, these kids trip over EVERY idiot ball trope common to Spam In A Cabin movies... to the point where at one point, we pan to the giant redneck in a mask with a chainsaw. He removes his mask to reveal an expression of confused disbelief... and then rolls his eyes with a "Why me?" look on his face. Meanwhile, IIRC, the kids are heard in the distance saying, "Let's head for the cemetery!"
 

Ah. Thanks to the magic of YouTube...

"Let's hide behind all the chainsaws!"

Oh I loved that commercial :lol:

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

...Young Frankenstein isn't a horror movie...

 

Ah, so that's why I enjoyed it... 

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apropos of nothing, I used to wonder why cars NEVER start in horror movies. Our heroes run like hell, jump in the SAME CAR THEY CAME HERE IN, a car that seemed to have nothing wrong with it, and all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, it won't start.

In the first edition of Chill, the horror roleplaying game, one of the "spells"/Powers Of The Unknown that some monsters have is called "Haywire." When this power is being used, machines don't function properly; cars don't start, radios give static and won't transmit or receive properly, batteries tend to go dead, and so on.

I thought that was a wickedly clever way to explain this common horror movie trope.

12 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Dead Snow II they had a cop explain that the patrol car has a bad battery because they don't have sufficient funds to maintain it properly...  

(And frankly, that's way too believeable... Don't ask.)

 

The car I drive at the office has an alcolock fitted. Unless we unplug the mouthpiece when we park it, it will drain the battery in 3 or 4 days at the most, and a week will kill the battery anyhow because of the hidden part of the alcolock.  Also, on cold days itcan take up to 2 minutes from you plug in the handset and switch on the ignition before you can blow into the tube.  

And the unlocking part takes 5 seconds blowing, then 2 or 3 seconds before the analysis is done and the car ignition is unlocked. More than enough time for zombies to drive a tank over the car....

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Somewhere out there is a short film where a bunch of people see a zombie shambling up the road - and every single one of them stops, points, and screams.

 

Then the zombie crosses over to the other side of the road, and looks at them funny while he continues to shamble along... staying far away from the obviously crazy people.

 

Which reminds me, a while back P. N. Elrod had a short story on her Patreon - Dan Shambles (zombie P.I.) meets Karl Kolchack (reporter for INS)..... Very silly stuff... with a standoff where both are waiting for the other to do something.

 

And then there is... The Gate... dear gods and goddesses... why?!

 

The Auld Grump, hey! I found the Audible version of the Necrotelecomnicon! Let's pirate it and put it on Dad's iPod!

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weirdly enough, I do NOT regard it as Idiot Balling when someone reads aloud an ancient inscription from a book or scroll (or as in Evil Dead, plays a tape recording of it) simply because most people have never played Call Of Cthulhu.

Although it's reaching a point in pop culture where I wouldn't be surprised if one guy started to read aloud, and his girlfriend suddenly slapped it out of his hand. "Are you NUTS? In the MOVIES, that NEVER ends well!"

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Weirdly enough, I do NOT regard it as Idiot Balling when someone reads aloud an ancient inscription from a book or scroll (or as in Evil Dead, plays a tape recording of it) simply because most people have never played Call Of Cthulhu.

Although it's reaching a point in pop culture where I wouldn't be surprised if one guy started to read aloud, and his girlfriend suddenly slapped it out of his hand. "Are you NUTS? In the MOVIES, that NEVER ehds well!"

Also, in the experiences of most people, it is reasonable to assume that they never had supernatural badness happen because of the spoken word. The can be forgiven for reading the ancient tomes of the texty-text volumes.

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the line is, 'It's only a book. No harm ever came from reading a book.' ^^;

Edited by Sylverthorne
11 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

I believe the line is, 'It's only a book. No harm ever came from reading a book.' ^^;

 

You really gotta watch Todd and the Book of Pure Evil. Terrible/amazing show. The book is well... evil. Its pure evil. It does evil things when people read it. Regularly. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0