Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr.Bedlam

Bad Decisions In Horror Movies

84 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Cyradis said:

You really gotta watch Todd and the Book of Pure Evil. Terrible/amazing show. The book is well... evil. Its pure evil. It does evil things when people read it. Regularly. 

You get those occasionally ... I was actually quoting a line from Brendan Fraser's Mummy. *chuckle*

7 people like this

I wonder if the fact that Lovecraftian garble is really hard to pronounce has ever averted horror movies. Some random Joe picks up an Evil Dead Necronomicon and can't find any vowels so when he tries to sound out the words nothing shows up. Or a random Shoggoth gets summoned in a field somewhere a hundred miles away from the summoner.

Goomi_Shoggies.jpg

Not cooooool...

12 people like this

1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

I wonder if the fact that Lovecraftian garble is really hard to pronounce has ever averted horror movies. Some random Joe picks up an Evil Dead Necronomicon and can't find any vowels so when he tries to sound out the words nothing shows up. Or a random Shoggoth gets summoned in a field somewhere a hundred miles away from the summoner.

Goomi_Shoggies.jpg

Not cooooool...

That's from that French Cthulhu comic, isn't it.

5 people like this

1 minute ago, Pingo said:

That's from that French Cthulhu comic, isn't it.

Oui.

5 people like this

8 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Oui.

I can't believe how long it took me to "get" Deepoines.

5 people like this

4 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Weirdly enough, I do NOT regard it as Idiot Balling when someone reads aloud an ancient inscription from a book or scroll (or as in Evil Dead, plays a tape recording of it) simply because most people have never played Call Of Cthulhu.

Although it's reaching a point in pop culture where I wouldn't be surprised if one guy started to read aloud, and his girlfriend suddenly slapped it out of his hand. "Are you NUTS? In the MOVIES, that NEVER ends well!"

Doris Drummond sneaked a look

Inside a locked and cobwebbed book.

There on its shadowed page she read

A spell to summon up the dead!

Too bad for her, the dead she summoned

Had it in for Doris Drummond.

11 people like this

9 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

I believe the line is, 'It's only a book. No harm ever came from reading a book.' ^^;

Ah! Ah! I was just thinking that! I love Rachel Weisz!

7 people like this

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Ah! Ah! I was just thinking that! I love Rachel Weisz!

:wub::wub::wub:

Yes...

6 people like this

Happy Friday the 13th before Halloween, everyone!

22365514_723664857817806_7929946490613601615_n.jpg

9 people like this

The beginning of this topic reminds me of my youth; a couple of my friends and I had rented  a bunch of movies to watch. We'd long since gone through all the good movies, so we had a collection of bad ones, some of which were 'scary'.

After a couple of real bombs, we all started to 'analyze' the films. This analysis consisted of us talking a lot of smack, and disclosing what our actions would be if we were confronted by the situations in the films, while simultaneously trying to out 'bad-broccoli' each other.

This went on for a while until my mom, who had called earlier and said she was on her way over to pick me up,  just suddenly appeared from nowhere right outside the picture window I was sitting next to, and tapped on it to get our attention.

This happened to scare/startle us more than any of the movies we had just watched.

We three bad-broccoli heroes just froze up and couldn't do anything.:lol:

12 people like this

20 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

The beginning of this topic reminds me of my youth; a couple of my friends and I had rented  a bunch of movies to watch. We'd long since gone through all the good movies, so we had a collection of bad ones, some of which were 'scary'.

After a couple of real bombs, we all started to 'analyze' the films. This analysis consisted of us talking a lot of smack, and disclosing what our actions would be if we were confronted by the situations in the films, while simultaneously trying to out 'bad-broccoli' each other.

This went on for a while until my mom, who had called earlier and said she was on her way over to pick me up,  just suddenly appeared from nowhere right outside the picture window I was sitting next to, and tapped on it to get our attention.

This happened to scare/startle us more than any of the movies we had just watched.

We three bad-broccoli heroes just froze up and couldn't do anything.:lol:

That was kind of one of the things that led me to launch the whole topic.

I personally feel that only an idiot would venture into my sub basement without flipping on a light switch. Not because there are zombies or flesh eaters down there; there aren't. But there's headknockers above and trippables below, and even I can't navigate down there without a LIGHT!

And I still remember an argument I got into with my chums in a situation much like you've described about whether or not Bubbles was an idiot because she's crabwalking backwards on hands and feet away from the oncoming killer rather than taking a second to leap to her feet, kick off her heels, and RUN for the funeral home in the background!

Regrettably, some of these movies are sufficiently unscary that the watchers can't sympathize with the characters' terror... and the fact that terror often leads to bad decisionmaking. As opposed to the Idiot Ball, which is also often seen in movies of this type...

5 people like this

Not a movie reference, just a Call of Cthulhu one....

Players doing something so they can get experience from a skill check, even when it makes no damned sense!

We needed to get to an island, about a hundred miles from Hawaii... so, instead of taking a boat, we took a helicopter so that the pilot could get a skill check.

Most of the PCs were in combat camouflage! Yeah, we didn't stand out on an island that had one of the biggest amusement parks in the world....

My own camo was a loud shirt, sunglasses, a hat, three cameras, shorts, and flip flops.... I bought a fish, and asked the guy who sold it to me to take my picture as I held it up as though I had caught it... Thus getting mixed up with his description of every other stupid tourist he had ever had....

I ended up not having to make a single roll in the entire game, and solved the mystery.

Half of the others wound up dead.

I swear, a zombie woulda starved if locked in a room with those guys....

The Auld Grump - half the time, my adventure was cleaning up after their adventure...

Edited by TheAuldGrump
11 people like this

I hadn't thought about that in years, but FASA's Star Trek game, back in the eighties, had a similar conceit: you could go up a point in a skill if you used it during an adventure. Which led to some highly questionable skill checks on planetside missions...

5 people like this

All of the Chaosium games had the same mechanic IIRC.

As well as the Power Stunts from Mavel Superheroes in a way.

2 people like this

17 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I hadn't thought about that in years, but FASA's Star Trek game, back in the eighties, had a similar conceit: you could go up a point in a skill if you used it during an adventure. Which led to some highly questionable skill checks on planetside missions...

IME, RuneQuest was the worst for that, since you needed to master at least five appropriate skills to become a Rune Lord, you could only increase a skill when you used it, the probability of success at increasing a skill went down as the skill went up, and it didn't matter how many times you used the skill on an adventure as long as you succeeded once.

So most characters had a golf bag full of weapons and switched as soon as they hit once. Only when they had hit at least once with everything (unless it was a major problem) would they switch back to their primary weapon. Which is pretty silly.

But RuneQuest is enough fun that I'm willing to overlook that in play.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
Clarity
3 people like this