Ratmaster2000

Are the reaper clear paints similar to tamiya's?

7 posts in this topic

So I see a lot of people painting the translucent mini's like the slimes and grave wraith with Tamiya clear colors, but I do not want to have a second setup for their paint formulation, so I am wondering if the Reaper Clears (like 9099 clear purple) give the same effect? Would be nice to just go straight to the color instead of having to throw down a clear coat and then doing a wash onto the translucent mini's (like how I did my grave wraith). Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

1 person likes this

The Tamiya Clears require a thinning agent to clean the brushes, ours are water-soluble. Our paints do not do the same thing with regards to the blood and slime trails and such.

Our clears are glazes of pigment in a translucent suspension, instead of an opaque one. There is rather a lot of difference in how the two behave.

5 people like this

If you're dilligent in rinsing the brush, and using a synthetic, you can get away with using Masters after a session, if you hurry to wash it as soon as you've finished painting.   

I really wish Reaper had a paint that behaved somewhat like the Tamiya paints. Because the stink... yeah... 

Vallejo has transparent paints that are similar to Reaper's paints and truly clear like Tamiya. With the exception of some additives all the rest of my paints are Reaper.

It's already been covered, but yeah - stoatly different paints.  The Tamiya Clears are alcohol based acrylics and a total pain in the fae to use, although they will clean up in water (thinner works much better though).

I've found that ink-based washes behave best with the Tamiya Clears.  Standard washes tend to cause patches of opacity to randomly afflict the figure like some mottled plague.

They do give a really interesting effect on the translucent Bones though, adding definition and clarity to the figure.  I really like them for that reason.

I've heard that Badger ave a range of translucent paints that don't have the stink incidentally.  I'll look for the details once I get home

Edited by Laoke
1 person likes this

I think the Badger version are their Ghost Tints

1 person likes this

I've heard it's the FreakFlex range, but looking at them online I'm not sure that's correct >.>

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Maledrakh
      In the third Bones kickstarter, one of the dragons was made available in clear Bones material, in addition to the normal offwhite the Bones usually come in. Naturally, I opted for the clear one.
      Reiterating how to paint translucent minis:
      Clearly, it is nessecary to use paints that in themselves are translucent, such as inks or quickshades to preserve some of the dragon’s own translucency or it will all be for nought!
      From bitter experience I know that the usual opaque paints will *not* work if you want any sort of translucent effect, even if they are thinned considerably. Many acrylic paints such as I use, (e.g. Citadel, Vallejo, Army Painter, Reaper,  Scale 75 etc) will cover in a certain way which obscures the translucency, also when thinned. Some will leave a “chalky” look. This is mostly apparent in pale and whitish paints.
      So anyway:

The key to painting a transparent mini is first to scrub it in warm, soapy water to remove any mold release residue (silicon, talc or whatever. It is greasy and stops the paint from sticking properly to the mini.) The plastic/resin is in itself also somewhat paint repellent on it’s own, so:
      When dry, undercoat it with clear, (preferably matte) varnish. This lets the paint adhere to the mini just like a normal opaque undercoat.
      Then, knock yourself out with inks or quickshades. Experiment with several layers and different colours, even wet blending as you go. Take care to remove any unwanted pools of paint that might gather. I use a clean, damp brush for this.
      Opaque paints should be kept only for extremely light highlighting and any bits that are to be opqaque, such as the base, or for effects such as making eyes pop.
      I used Army Painter Soft Tone quickshade ink (the water based stuff that comes in a dropperbottle, not the horrendous and smelly dip that goes by the same name). In additon I used Army Painter Green quickshade, with claws and eyesockets in Red quickshade. Eyeballs were done in old Citadel Golden Yellow, and the entire body was given an extremely light drybrush with  Reaper Dirty Bone on a broad brush. The teeth were picked out in the same dirty bone.
      The bedrock was glued down to one of my custom oval 3Dprinted bases, and painted in opaques in the same way as I do most rock these days: Dark green/grey over black, heavy drybrush in sandy yellow followed by a lighter drybrush with off white.
      Some tufts, thinned pva glue and my magic flock /scatter mix later, voila.
      I kept the dragon and the base as two seperate parts when painting to avoid slopping the wrong kind of paint where it was not meant to go. I even remembered to paint the plugs on the underside of the feet that were to be in contact with the base to avoid ugly bright patches there.

I opted for a relatively heavy stain.
      To make the colour less colouring. thin the quickshade with preferably acrylic medium, or water. This needs a bit more shepherding and brushwork up until the ink starts to dry enough to stay still, to avoid an uneven result.

Kyphrixis (clear variant)
      Reaper Bones KS3
      Translucent bones
      125mm x 90mm oval base

• By SamuraiJack
      Some of these came back as other numbers, but but the rest won't be brought back by Reaper and some might be present in other paint lines.  

(Twilight Triad 9727)
      9079 Deep Amethyst
      9080 Indigo Sky
      9081 Pale Indigo - mix equal portions of Imperial Purple and Sky Blue

(Colored Liners Triad 9738)
      9112 Red Liner - Reaper 9235 (Back in Bones 3 as 9307)
      9113 Green Liner - Reaper 9236 (Back in Bones 3 as 9308)
      9114 Violet Liner - Reaper 9237

(Muted Purples Triad 9740)
      9118 Dusky Grape
      9119 Bruise Purple
      9120 Faded Purple

(Clear Brights III Triad 9744)
      9130 Clear Orange - Lava Orange 9218 and Explosion Orange 9219
      9131 Clear Viridian - Peacock Green 9226
      9132 Clear Plum - Royal Purple 9240

(Blush Colors Triad 9747)
      9139 Antique Rose - KS Old West Rose
      9140 Blushing Rose
      9141 Porcelain Rose

(Historic Blues Triad 9751)
      9151 Steely Blue
      9152 Military Blue - Reaper 9269
      9153 Weathered Blue

(Desert Camos Triad 9752)
      9154 Dune Shadow
      9155 Desert Khaki
      9156 Desert Sand

(Mist Greens Triad 9756)
      9166 Shadow Green - Reaper 9270
      9167 Field Green
      9168 Mist Green

(Terracotta Clays Triad 9757) - Redstone Triad 9775 
      9169 Muddy Clay
      9170 Terracotta Clay
      9171 Fired Clay

(Cold Greys Triad 9758)
      9172 Stormcover Grey
      9173 Coldstone Grey
      9174 Icy Grey - KS Aircraft Grey (slightly greener)

(Volcano Browns Triad 9760)
      9178 Cinder Brown
      9179 Volcano Brown - Reaper 9268
      9180 Ashen Brown - MSP HD 29831

(Tropical Colors Triad 9761)
      9181 Bright Coral
      9182 Saffron sunset - Reaper 9247
      9183 Cloud Pink - KS Reaper Punk rock Pink

(Reptilian Greens Triad 9762)
      9184 Serpentine Shadow
      9185 Reptus Green
      9186 Scaly Highlight

(Sandy Colors Triad 9764)
      9190 Sandy Brown - Reaper 9249
      9191 Sandy Tan
      9192  Sandy Yellow

(Sea Blues Triad 9765)
      9193 Stormy Sea
      9194 Clouded Sea
      9195 Seafoam Blue

(Humanoid Skintones Triad 9768)
      9202 Troll Shadow - MSP Stained Olive 29838
      9203 Gnoll Brown
      9204 Halforc Highlight

(Reaper Ink II Triad 9771)
      9211 Green Ink
      9212 Blue Ink
      9213 Purple Ink 

(Spring Greens Triad 9749)
      9145 Moth Green - Reaper 9248
      9146 Spring green - Reappaearance at RCon 2015
      9147 Luminous Green - Reaper 9248 + 1 drop of white

(Heavy Gear paints)
      RPR 61101 Terra Nova Tundra (Possible alternative: NMM gold?)
      RPR 61102 Macallen Brown
      RPR 61103 Redrider Crimson
      RPR 61104 Dune Shadow
      RPR 61105 Mekong Moss
      RPR 61106 Giant Fern
      RPR 61107 Okavango Swamp
      RPR 61108 Republique Red
      RPR 61109 Armadillo Tusk (hd)
      RPR 61110 White Sand
      RPR 61111 Paxton Red
      RPR 61112 War Paint Red
      RPR 61113 Arthurian Blue (hd)
      RPR 61114 Blue Crescent
      RPR 61115 Atlantean Aqua
      RPR 61116 Coated Armor
      RPR 61117 Factory White (Ghost white + Blue Flame perhaps?)
      RPR 61118 Grel Flesh
      RPR 61119 Afterburn Grey
      RPR 61120 Hazard Yellow (hd)
      RPR 61121 R.a.m. Black (hd)
      RPR 61122 Durasheet Alloy
      RPR 61123 Skunkworks Gunmetal
      RPR 61124 Beacon Yellow
      RPR 61125 Fallout Grey (hd)
      RPR 61126 Ash Grey
      RPR 61127 Waveform Aquamarine
      RPR 61128 Gamma Shielding Gold
      RPR 61129 Cat's Eye Umber (hd)
      RPR 61130 Cat's Eye
      RPR 61131 Red Dust
      RPR 61132 Drillbit Metal
    • By kristof65
      I'm getting ready to paint my Kyphryxis Dragon in the Translucent Bones, and wanted to test how the different colors of the Tamiya Clears looked on the Bones translucent material.  So I picked up some of the 77306 Translucent Slimes.   These are literally quick paints - I just slopped on the Tamiya Clear on each one. I'm posting them here not to show off, but for your convenience and reference.

Warning - Pic heavy
      First off, a plain, untouched translucent Bones slime:

Next, painted in Tamiya Clear Yellow:

Next in Tamiya Clear Blue:

Tamiya Clear Green:

Tamiya Clear Smoke:

Tamiya Clear Red:

Tamiya Clear Orange:

And finally, my actual test piece, which I'm calling a "Fire Slime". I will probably be using a similar scheme for my Kyphrixis:

As you can see, the Tamiya Clears are really good at literally changing the color of the translucent Bones material, while maintaining the translucency.  At some point, i think I'm going to try and pick up multiples of some of the other translucent colors, and do similar test pieces. I already know from the fire elementals that it will change the tones of the red/orange Bones. 

• By Dan Goodchild
      Used Tamiya clear blue to coat the Water Weird and Reaper paints for the well and highlights.

• Who's Online   15 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)