Are the reaper clear paints similar to tamiya's?

So I see a lot of people painting the translucent mini's like the slimes and grave wraith with Tamiya clear colors, but I do not want to have a second setup for their paint formulation, so I am wondering if the Reaper Clears (like 9099 clear purple) give the same effect? Would be nice to just go straight to the color instead of having to throw down a clear coat and then doing a wash onto the translucent mini's (like how I did my grave wraith). Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

• Like 1

The Tamiya Clears require a thinning agent to clean the brushes, ours are water-soluble. Our paints do not do the same thing with regards to the blood and slime trails and such.

Our clears are glazes of pigment in a translucent suspension, instead of an opaque one. There is rather a lot of difference in how the two behave.

• Like 6

If you're dilligent in rinsing the brush, and using a synthetic, you can get away with using Masters after a session, if you hurry to wash it as soon as you've finished painting.   

I really wish Reaper had a paint that behaved somewhat like the Tamiya paints. Because the stink... yeah... 

Vallejo has transparent paints that are similar to Reaper's paints and truly clear like Tamiya. With the exception of some additives all the rest of my paints are Reaper.

It's already been covered, but yeah - stoatly different paints.  The Tamiya Clears are alcohol based acrylics and a total pain in the fae to use, although they will clean up in water (thinner works much better though).

I've found that ink-based washes behave best with the Tamiya Clears.  Standard washes tend to cause patches of opacity to randomly afflict the figure like some mottled plague.

They do give a really interesting effect on the translucent Bones though, adding definition and clarity to the figure.  I really like them for that reason.

I've heard that Badger ave a range of translucent paints that don't have the stink incidentally.  I'll look for the details once I get home

Edited by Laoke
  • Like 1

I've heard it's the FreakFlex range, but looking at them online I'm not sure that's correct >.>

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SparrowMarie
      After a poll this seems to be the best place to put this thread. For the most part I'll stick photos under spoilers because my phone likes to make them large.
      So I bought a sketchbook today with the intent to catalog and show off all of my paints. I thought it was quite the appropriate book to get.
      First I made a grid on a page. Then added the title to each column: Name & SKU, None, Base, Wash, Brown Liner, Blue Liner.
      That's as far as I've gotten. Next I plan on starting to fill out paint names and SKU's. Then I will prime the squares with some plain white brush on primer (Vallejo in this case). I'm really hoping that the paper is thick enough to avoid the water from just being absorbed. If it isn't I will go to the craft store and buy a better book with different paper and can use this for something else later. 
      Each column is a different thickness of paint/what I'll be putting it over. So None is straight out of the bottle, Base is thinned enough for a base coat, Wash is thinned down to a wash consistency, and Brown and Blue Liner will have each of them put over the primer and then a base consistency paint over that. 
      I'm going to spend some time filling out the names and SKU's and then I'll get to priming the squares. Might go back and go over the lines with a sharpie or pen to make them a little more apparent where the lines are for my sake. 
      ETA: I already have a spreadsheet of all of the paints I own and then sub-sheets broken down by line/company. I think there is a way to put color samples into the sheet but I've yet to figure it out. So I'm making this so I don't have to pull out all of my paints when I need to color scheme something. I can just pull out the book and go from there. It'll be much more efficient for me.
    • By Disciple of Sakura
      I picked up the clear Kyphrixis from Bones 3 with the full intent to make it a White Dragon while leaving the wing membranes translucent,which is what I did. I did wind up deciding to do a wash on the membranes, but otherwise, really love the effect. 

• By Valthorn_Illian
      Bit of an opinion piece here, but what are the Reaper MSP colors you find that you can't live without? What colors do you think should be in everyone's collection?
      A list of recommended paints for aspiring artists looking to get started with Reaper MSP.
      (Note: This list is neither complete, exhaustive, or required. It is just to provide you with a few ideas about where to start.)
      1. Nightshade Purple (I lied, this one is pretty much required)
      2. Walnut Brown
      3.Bronzed Skin
      4. Liner (Brown especially)
      5. Clear Magenta
      6. Dragon Green
      7. Ritterlich Blue
      8.Rust Brown
      9. Ochre Gold Triad
      10. Carnage Red
      11. Snow Shadow
      12. Dark Skin Shadow
      13. Corporeal Shadow (may be out of print)
      14. Carnival Purple (out of print)
      15. Amethyst Purple
      16. Terran Khaki
      17. Linen White
      18. Ghost White
      19. Soil Triad
      20. Stone Triad
      21. Palomino Gold
      22. Blackened Brown
      23. Bloodthirsty Triad
      24. Peacock Green
      25. Dragon Red
      26. Nightmare Black
      27. Pure/Solid Black/White
      28. Highlight Orange
      29. Red Brick
      30. Dark Elf Skintone Triad
      31. Rosy Skin Triad
      32. Oiled Leather
    • By Chris Palmer
      I saw these clear plastic Animals at Target today, and I thought I’d pass along the find thinking somebody might be able to use them for some kind of spell effect or magic animal. There were two sets at my store:  a dinosaur and a safari. They were $3 each, and located in the under $5 area at the front of the store.  The scale varied widely from animal to animal. Some appeared to fit with 28mm figures. 

• By Citrine
      All I did was cut off the integral base and glue them on painted bases from CMON.  Another 4 done!
      Reaper Bones:
      Invisible Rogue 77449
      Invisible Wizard 77450
      Invisible Cleric 77451
      Invisible Warrior 77453

• Who's Online   12 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)