Ratmaster2000

Are the reaper clear paints similar to tamiya's?

So I see a lot of people painting the translucent mini's like the slimes and grave wraith with Tamiya clear colors, but I do not want to have a second setup for their paint formulation, so I am wondering if the Reaper Clears (like 9099 clear purple) give the same effect? Would be nice to just go straight to the color instead of having to throw down a clear coat and then doing a wash onto the translucent mini's (like how I did my grave wraith). Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

• Like 1

The Tamiya Clears require a thinning agent to clean the brushes, ours are water-soluble. Our paints do not do the same thing with regards to the blood and slime trails and such.

Our clears are glazes of pigment in a translucent suspension, instead of an opaque one. There is rather a lot of difference in how the two behave.

If you're dilligent in rinsing the brush, and using a synthetic, you can get away with using Masters after a session, if you hurry to wash it as soon as you've finished painting.   

I really wish Reaper had a paint that behaved somewhat like the Tamiya paints. Because the stink... yeah... 

Vallejo has transparent paints that are similar to Reaper's paints and truly clear like Tamiya. With the exception of some additives all the rest of my paints are Reaper.

It's already been covered, but yeah - stoatly different paints.  The Tamiya Clears are alcohol based acrylics and a total pain in the fae to use, although they will clean up in water (thinner works much better though).

I've found that ink-based washes behave best with the Tamiya Clears.  Standard washes tend to cause patches of opacity to randomly afflict the figure like some mottled plague.

They do give a really interesting effect on the translucent Bones though, adding definition and clarity to the figure.  I really like them for that reason.

I've heard that Badger ave a range of translucent paints that don't have the stink incidentally.  I'll look for the details once I get home

Edited by Laoke
  • Like 1

I've heard it's the FreakFlex range, but looking at them online I'm not sure that's correct >.>