Smokestack

Favorite Diet Soda

When I first became diabetic (or first got diagnosed with diabetes) I hated diet soda. The first one that actually tasted like real soda to me was Diet A&W. I have never been a root beer fan, but now love it...

Since then I have tried lots and lots of different brands. My absolute favorite is the Peach Zero that you can only get a places like Burger King or Boston Market that have the fancy Soda mixing machines.

Store bought, I prefer (in this order) Diet Pepsi, Diet Coke, Diet Sunkist, Diet Dr. Pepper, Diet Canada Dry. I hate Coke Zero...

• Like 2

I will drink diet ginger ale if nothing else is available, or diet Pepsi if I can't get the real one. Other than that I abhor diet soda.

• Like 1

Was big on Diet Coke, then realized the caffeine was killing my sinuses by being in a constant state of dehydration. So now I’m on the Caffeine Free Diet Coke, which sadly isn’t offered at most restaurants not convenience stores, and thus becomes bothersome for the day after eating out or a trip. Hate Pepsi, so get something other than cola at those places. 

Diet Coke, because it tastes nothing like regular Coke.

Diet Dr Pepper is my second choice because i does taste like Dr Pepper.

never Pepsi. 

• Like 1

I can't stand diet sodas due to flavor. Not a fan of most regular soda due to being oversweetened. 

"Dry" brand soda uses real sugar, but ~1/3 or less what standard sodas do. Those are good. 

Sir Cyr got into flavored seltzer waters when he started watching his diet, got me into those. They're refreshing and no guilt on calories. Can add sweetener as desired (or splash with fruit juice). They're also cheap. 

• Like 3

I must say my favorites depend on the package. I find most diet sodas abhorrent in a can as they seem to have a metallic taste to me. In a bottle my favorite is Cherry Coke Zero followed by Pepsi Max and the Coke Zero. I find diet Pepsi and to some extent diet coke to bet aweful and If that is all that is available I cut it 50/50 with water. From a fountain I like diet Dr. Pepper, but it is not available at my local Gas station fountain. So what I do there is put about 40 oz of coke zero in the cup and 4 oz of regular cherry Pepsi. That seems to give enough satiation to reduce cravings. 

But mostly I drink Luzerne (sp?) unsweetened ice tea.

I favor flavored sugar free seltzer waters. However, my lifestyle requires steady caffeination, so there's Coke Zero.

• Like 1

When I was a “normal” I preferred Coca Cola. Hated Pepsi. But oddly I prefer Diet Pepsi to Diet Coke. Coke Zero has a chemical taste to me.

When my family visited Indonesia last year it was rough. Diet soda in general was hard to find. (And can’t be found at most restaurants) we could only find diet sodas at Circle K and 7-11, or at the international grocery stores like Carefour. And even then it was only Coke Zero... I drank mostly unsweetened tea... 

I hated diet sodas for a long time. Then I started getting older and my calorie requirements started to drop. I decided that the place I could most easily drop lots of caloric intake was by not drinking sodas with sugar. I tried teas, but I kind of hate them, and I've never been able to stomach coffee. Diet sodas it was.

My preferred drink (and that of most of my regular gaming group) is Diet Mt. Dew, though I'll drink most sorts of diet sodas. Not Dr. Pepper, though; don't like the taste.

well I am sure to get a lecture from everyone, but damn the torpedoes, my Faves right now are Sprite and Dr Pepper, NOT diet, the leaded kind. I don't drink alcohol or smoke, and I am diabetic, but I'll be damned if I am going to not enjoy my drink. Okay, fire away, I am used to it.

• Like 1

I dislike diet soda. As a chemist and someone with absurd senses I can taste which artificial sweetener was used and none of them are flavors I personally like. If I'm going to soda I'll just soda less. But here's some thoughts:

Sucralose (sucrose with three hydrogens replaced by chlorines so it's too big to fit into the active site of your sucrase enzyme) gives me a stomach ache. It's also not zero calorie: 1g contains 3.1kcal of usable energy while 1g of sugar contains 4kcal. I wrote a decent paper on that for a biochemistry class: turns out you can digest sucralose, it just requires lactase enzyme, which I showed through detailed experimentation on myself. I don't produce natural lactase enzyme so I was the best test subject I could find. Ah, chemistry. But yes, sucralose is called 'zero calorie' because of FDA rules, not because it's zero calorie. But it is fewer calories than sugar so you're still being good(ish).

Aspartame (phenylalanine derivative) tastes like the diet snapples I used to drink when grandma was still alive and dieting. I snorted one up my nose once (pink lemonade flavor). I can't enjoy the flavor anymore, either aspartame or pink lemonade, it all tastes like pain. Since it's not even remotely related to sugar, it's an amino acid derivative, if you're not phenylalanine-sensitive go for it. It has a chemical-y aftertaste though, one I remember well. That chemical-ness is masked by acid well, hence its success in acidic sodas.

Xylitol (indigestible sugar, you don't have enzymes for it) has a decent refreshing taste but it has the side effects one expects from something indigestible. The toilet and I should not be that familiar. But then, sugarless gum should be enjoyed sparingly anyway. And yes, this is one reason why sugarless gum is in military MREs, it counteracts the... 'binding effects', shall we say, of the MRE foods.

Stevia is a glycoside, uptaken directly into the bloodstream and broken down by the liver. I haven't tried it, I hear it has a gentler sweetness with a licorice aftertaste. 

edited for disclaimer: I'm not diabetic but I've battled chronic low blood sugar before so I do feel the need to be careful. I've also seen the results of those who drink a 2-litre a day and I'm gonna nope on that one.

Edited by NebulousMissy
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

I dislike diet soda. As a chemist and someone with absurd senses I can taste which artificial sweetener was used and none of them are flavors I personally like. If I'm going to soda I'll just soda less. But here's some thoughts:

Sucralose (sucrose with three hydrogens replaced by chlorines so it's too big to fit into the active site of your sucrase enzyme) gives me a stomach ache. It's also not zero calorie: 1g contains 3.1kcal of usable energy while 1g of sugar contains 4kcal. I wrote a decent paper on that for a biochemistry class: turns out you can digest sucralose, it just requires lactase enzyme, which I showed through detailed experimentation on myself. I don't produce natural lactase enzyme so I was the best test subject I could find. Ah, chemistry. But yes, sucralose is called 'zero calorie' because of FDA rules, not because it's zero calorie. But it is fewer calories than sugar so you're still being good(ish).

Aspartame (phenylalanine derivative) tastes like the diet snapples I used to drink when grandma was still alive and dieting. I snorted one up my nose once (pink lemonade flavor). I can't enjoy the flavor anymore, either aspartame or pink lemonade, it all tastes like pain. Since it's not even remotely related to sugar, it's an amino acid derivative, if you're not phenylalanine-sensitive go for it. It has a chemical-y aftertaste though, one I remember well. That chemical-ness is masked by acid well, hence its success in acidic sodas.

Xylitol (indigestible sugar, you don't have enzymes for it) has a decent refreshing taste but it has the side effects one expects from something indigestible. The toilet and I should not be that familiar. But then, sugarless gum should be enjoyed sparingly anyway. And yes, this is one reason why sugarless gum is in military MREs, it counteracts the... 'binding effects', shall we say, of the MRE foods.

Stevia is a glycoside, uptaken directly into the bloodstream and broken down by the liver. I haven't tried it, I hear it has a gentler sweetness with a licorice aftertaste. 

I love reading about your chemistry. 

And yes, stevia is an alright sweetener. Not my favorite, but vastly superior in flavor to the other artificial sweeteners.

It isn't quite licoricey to me. More I dunno... tongue coating? It leaves an afterfeel. My mom uses it to curb her insatiable need for sugar.  

• Like 3

"Diet" Water is what I like ::):

Mid-August 2016 I swore off all sodas. Still going strong!

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, haldir said:

"Diet" Water is what I like ::):

Mid-August 2016 I swore off all sodas. Still going strong!

Definitely healthier than sodas of any description. Good for you.

I know that diet sodas are a vice, but relative to others I could have, I think it's sufficiently venial for me.

• Like 2