Smokestack

Favorite Diet Soda

62 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I love reading about your chemistry. 

And yes, stevia is an alright sweetener. Not my favorite, but vastly superior in flavor to the other artificial sweeteners.

It isn't quite licoricey to me. More I dunno... tongue coating? It leaves an afterfeel. My mom uses it to curb her insatiable need for sugar.  

Interesting as every Stevia sweetener I have tasted is the most awefull tasting thing in the world and I never finish consuming the product that contains it. 

9 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Definitely healthier than sodas of any description. Good for you.

I know that diet sodas are a vice, but relative to others I could have, I think it's sufficiently venial for me.

I am in this boat. I used diet soda to help keep me feeling satiated. After I got marriec my wife and I had a bey of who could give upsoda the longest (me diet and her regular). She lasted a month and I lasted two years, but I found myself eating a lot more and gained 100 pounds. I am back on the diet soda again now. 

2 people like this

28 minutes ago, haldir said:

"Diet" Water is what I like ::):

Mid-August 2016 I swore off all sodas. Still going strong!

Good job! 

I gave up soda around 1993. Slowly worked my way off corn syrup products after that. Probably the single biggest health decision I ever made.  Not that I never drink it, but it's pretty rare. I think I've had 3 sodas this year. 

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, KruleBear said:

Interesting as every Stevia sweetener I have tasted is the most awefull tasting thing in the world and I never finish consuming the product that contains it. 

That's about what I think of the artificial sweeteners. I'd rather have none than that stuff. Stevia.... I have mixed feelings on. My mom uses it like mad. I view it more as an ingredient for an effect than as just sweetening. The after-feel on it is funky. And it can get overpowering really fast. It barely takes any of that plant to be insanely sweet. I grew some last year. Only needed to tear half a cm^2 off a leaf to go BLERGH SWEET on the tongue (when tasted directly). 

2 people like this

Tasty diet soda does not exist.  If forced to choose, I choose water.

That said, I rarely drink anything carbonated anymore - its usually coffee or tea - so when I do partake I have the good stuff.

3 people like this

I like Coke Zero, Sprite Zero, and Mr. Pibb Zero.

1 person likes this

I must be a weirdo as I actually like the taste of diet sodas (except Coke Zero). 

And as I don’t like coffee (it’s a migraine trigger for me) so my caffeine is delivered to me by my diet colas. 

I didn’t know there was a diet Mr. Pibb... I do like diet Mountain Dew. I forgot about that one. 

Edited by Smokestack
1 person likes this

The Mr. Pibb is super hard to find. One grocery story here had it one time, and then never again. Which makes me sad.

1 person likes this

I do love me some Diet Coke!

But I'm trying to quit.  I've been trying to quit for a couple years.  I HAD quit, for a couple years, but fell off the proverbial wagon.  The good news is that I'm nowhere near my old high (low?) of consuming up to a gallon a day.  I have a couple on game night, and at intervals throughout the week.

I'll drink a Diet Mountain Dew or diet root beer if Coke isn't available.  But really I'm putting my effort into unsweetened tea (or a mix of sweet and regular).

I will also drink Diet Rite if it's available (it usually isn't) and Coke is not an available choice.

2 people like this

The kind without the 'Diet" part....

3 people like this

Diet Dew here - love it - oddly one of the few things that still tastes good to me while going through chemo 

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

Diet Coke, because it tastes nothing like regular Coke.

Diet Dr Pepper is my second choice because i does taste like Dr Pepper.

never Pepsi. 

This is me. For a long while, I did the Diet Coke thing, I guess at first because I had to, and then because it was different, and finally, because I came to like it.

But Diet Dr. Pepper, the few times I've had it... I've asked out loud, "if it tastes this much like the real thing, why don't they just sell this?"

Nowadays, though, I drink fizzy water the most. Bubbly water. I try not to drink cola at all, if I can help it. But I don't like plain water. I like it bubbly.

I'm in the Diet Pepsi camp.  I used to drink a elf-ton of Pepsi, but then I noticed that my metabolism finally started slowing down and my pants inexplicable started getting tighter.  So one deployment I quit.  Eventually I came back and would have one with dinner out.  Then I'd get one or two a week while at work, then I was back in the habit.  so I switched to Pepsi Max.  But it was difficult finding cases of it on sale, so I switched to Diet Pepsi.

I occasionally think about trying to quit it all again, but I find that I don't tend to drink enough when I do.  I also have very few vices, so I figure it's better than getting smashed every night or polluting my lungs.  Total justification, but it is what it is.

3 people like this

The genetics of taste is very complex, especially for bitter flavors. Receptors for sweetness are fairly straight forward, but bitterness... one person can taste chemicals that another person literally can’t taste. And we have to be trained to like bitter flavors, not surprising as many bitter plants are also toxic. 

So given that many artificial sweeteners have a bitter note, it’s not surprising people are divided on them and the foods that contain them. You may be tasting something I can’t taste, or vice versa. 

Diet cole is my “usual” diet soda, my favorite was diet cream soda from A&w and dr Jones’s sugar free vanilla bean soda.  

6 people like this

Diet Cherry Coke, Diet Coke  (both of which taste substantially different to their sugary versions) and coke zero (which is a lot closer but still not quite there), and the very sadly missed original version of Diet Irn Bru before they reformulated it from using saccharine so they could export it to you over in the USA

oh and I guess  fizzy water

but that's about it as all the rest are ok initially but end up with a nasty after taste (weirdly including Cherry Coke Zero), this doesn't seem to be down to the specific sweetener used (Aspartame and Asulphame K in diet coke is fine, in other drinks I get an aftertaste, Saccarine in old diet Irn Bru was great but is vile in most other uses)

and worst of all is Stevia which not only has an after taste that makes me feel sick, it has a nasty initial taste as well

2 people like this

I like diet A&W and Coke Zero vanilla. Actually, the 10 calorie A&W tastes better to me than the diet, but that is difficult to find. So is Coke Zero vanilla. 

I dont taste the bitter in artificial sweeteners, so I guess that's good. My hubby doesn't like the Coke Zero products much, but I think that's because he drank Coke so much. I hardly ever drank it before I met him, and when I did start drinking it it was all Coke Zero. Actually, I only started drinking it when we started sharing sodas at the theater, and they have one of those fancy soda machines that lets you pick any flavour. I usually get Coke Zero cherry/vanilla. Anyway, normal Coke tastes weirder to me than Coke Zero.

2 people like this