Smokestack

Favorite Diet Soda

I recently found I am fructose intolerant, so any pop with high fructose corn syrup is a no no for me.  I mostly drink water anyway, but when I want to splurge on pop I go with caffeine free Diet Coke or Pepsi with aspartame.  I try to stay away from caffeine, but when I want to splurge, I go for Mountain Dew Throwback with real sugar.  It is sooo good, not horrible like regular Mtn Dew.

• Like 1

My fave soda is a local Pineapple flavoured one, and not NOT the diet version. 

(They have a pear shapedflavoured one, too, which is also good)

I'd rather drink lukewarm water than a cold Diet Soda. The water has less aftertaste.

But for a cooldown drink on a hot day I often use tap water with a squirt or two of CO2 bubblies. (sodastream at home)

Or I make a pot of iced tea.

If I ave to drink something with an artificial sweetened, I'll pick the one with Stevia.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Citrine said:

I recently found I am fructose intolerant,

but when I want to splurge, I go for Mountain Dew Throwback with real sugar.

Be careful. Sucrose ("real sugar") breaks down into glucose and fructose, just like HFCS. The difference is that HFCS has a few percent more fructose in the mix.

• Like 3

I can't really drink things with artificial sweeteners (really bad migraine triggers - I think that was the reason?) but I like things that don't feel the need to add sugar or sweeteners. I wish it was easier to find sodas, etc, that didn't feel the need to sweeten themselves...

• Like 1

I prefer Diet lemonades if I am drinking them from a can.. although I've given up soda for the most part.. 

• Like 1

I've been trying to cut down on my soda intake for a while.  I try to drink mostly unsweetened tea at home but I've recently been drinking more flavored seltzer water because it's convenient.  (My wife and I are trying to figure out which brands/flavors we like.)

For diet sodas, I prefer Cherry Coke Zero and Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper, but Cherry Coke Zero is hard to find around here (only at some gas stations) and finding Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper is almost impossible to find except at the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines.  (Around here, the Coca-Cola distributor has both the bottling and fountain rights for Dr. Pepper.  I used to live in a city where the Coca-Cola distributor had the bottling rights but the Pepsi distributor had the fountain rights.)

I try to avoid fully sugared sodas except when I have a sore throat (cold Dr. Pepper can be amazing for coating my throat) or as a treat (there is something disturbingly calming about normal Mountain Dew).

• Like 2

I decided a few years ago that what I want is the carbonation rather than the flavor of cola so I drink ‘sparkling’ water when I have the choice. If I have a rare urge or a need for caffeine and no tea option, I’ll drink Diet Coke 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:
7 hours ago, Citrine said:

I recently found I am fructose intolerant,

but when I want to splurge, I go for Mountain Dew Throwback with real sugar.

Be careful. Sucrose ("real sugar") breaks down into glucose and fructose, just like HFCS. The difference is that HFCS has a few percent more fructose in the mix.

As someone who has worked in the food industry I'll expand upon that a bit.  In the industry HFCS is sold as HFCS 42 and HFCS 55.  The numbers are the percent fructose in the syrup and both are sold to bottlers.  IIRC Pepsi and Coke both use 55, but others do use 42.  The advantage of 55 is that it is sweeter than sucrose so you can use less of it to get the same "sweetness" in your beverage.

And as Doug says, sucrose is hydrolyzed by acid into glucose and fructose.  If you just eat "sugar" your stomach acid will take care of this, but when you drink soda it's already been done for you.  For example, whether you have "real sugar" coke or HFCS55 coke, you get basically the same sugars.  The phosphoric acid will break the sucrose into glucose and fructose in the "real coke" while in the HFCS coke the sugars are already apart and the phosphoric acid just helps keep the flavor profile similar.  Either way your beverage is actually carbonated water, glucose, fructose, caramel color, phosphoric acid, and flavors.

• Like 5

This HFCS talk is quite nearly giving me a stomach ache. Since weening myself off high sugar stuff, HFCS sodas give me stomache aches within an hour of drinking them. 

I've cut done on sodas mainly because of the havoc it plays on my teeth since I'm diabetic.  I do drink them on occasion, but it's mostly energy drinks. I've found that where I live, the stores have an extreme bias against anything diet. When new drinks come in, there's never any diet versions of them, even though I know they exist. Energy drinks are far more lenient in that regard. My FLGS accidentally ordered Cherry Coke Zero and that's all I've had, and it's quite good.

I don't think anyone really understands how difficult it is for me to not be able to have the same choices that everyone else does. Even drinks like Jones Soda no longer has the diet versions available around here, like diabetics don't really matter in this province. I just want to be able to enjoy a variety of flavours like anyone else, and not have to dpend on COke or Pepsi just to have something.

Stevia is the devil. It has a bitter aftertaste that punishes you for having the audacity for trying something that has it.

For diet drinks, I once came across peach Fresca in the U.S.A. way back when, and it was goooood. I came came across it only once in Canada as a 2L bottle in 7-11, but it disappeared before I could buy it and haven't seen it since. Also, the Cineplex Odeon in the Big City that I go to occasionally has a Coca-Cola Freestyle machine with a mind-boggling array of drinks inside it. It has a Barq's diet cream soda that actually isn't the pink crap that masquerades itself as cream soda, and tastes so much like what I used to have in my childhood that it almost brings tears to my eyes.

• Like 6

If I get sodas it's usually on a gaming weekend otherwise it's flavored water.  My favorite is Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper.  I don't get it much because a twelve pack at Walmart is about the only way I can find it around here.  I also like Diet Mt. Dew and Red Diamond Tea that comes sweetened with Splenda.

• Like 1

Not 'diet' but no calories... plain soda water.

Unsweetened tonic (quinine) water.

The Auld Grump - I never have to worry about anyone stealing the tonic water on me, at least more than once....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump - I never have to worry about anyone stealing the tonic water on me, at least more than once....

Also makes you the one most likely to survive malaria. :lol:

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:
11 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Also makes you the one most likely to survive malaria. :lol:

Depends. A therapeutic dose of quinine is about 1/8th the amount in most tonic waters.

Tonic water contains the bare minimum amount of quinine needed to make it fluoresce under UV. Makes it easy enough to find counterfeit tonic water tho.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Depends. A therapeutic dose of quinine is about 1/8th the amount in most tonic waters.

Tonic water contains the bare minimum amount of quinine needed to make it fluoresce under UV. Makes it easy enough to find counterfeit tonic water tho.

I adore the knowledge that I'm getting from all of this.:wub:

• Like 7