Smokestack

Favorite Diet Soda

55 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Depends. A therapeutic dose of quinine is about 1/8th the amount in most tonic waters.

Tonic water contains the bare minimum amount of quinine needed to make it fluoresce under UV. Makes it easy enough to find counterfeit tonic water tho.

53 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I adore the knowledge that I'm getting from all of this.:wub:

^^ agreed. Keep passing the knowledge, @NebulousMissy.

I got off crazy sugar not for health reasons.... but due to laziness. 

Used to need 6-10 scoops of sugar in my tea. I got tired of stirring it forever. So over the course of 2-3 months I weened myself to 0-1 scoop of sugar in my tea (type dependent). I kid you not, that was my reason for lowering sugar intake. I'm probably better off for it. Now I can't really have normal sodas without nasty belly aches though. Sucks for the twice a year root beer craving. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Used to need 6-10 scoops of sugar in my tea. I got tired of stirring it forever. So over the course of 2-3 months I weened myself to 0-1 scoop of sugar in my tea (type dependent). I kid you not, that was my reason for lowering sugar intake. I'm probably better off for it.

Plus now your tea actually tastes like tea.  I quit drinking tea with sugar in it in cold turkey years ago and after a couple of months I couldn't believe I ever drank sweet tea.  It tastes like syrup to me now.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

Plus now your tea actually tastes like tea.  I quit drinking tea with sugar in it in cold turkey years ago and after a couple of months I couldn't believe I ever drank sweet tea.  It tastes like syrup to me now.

Bingo. The English/Indian teas are nice with light sweetening. Others maybe with a dab of honey. Tons? Nah. Many, no sugar at all. Now that I can taste the tea, I rather like it! 

For the soda folk, the seltzer water also makes for a good base for vodka and gin drinks, if you don't like tonic :poke:

• Like 5

Just now, Cyradis said:

For the soda folk, the seltzer water also makes for a good base for vodka and gin drinks, if you don't like tonic :poke:

I particularly like a key lime in seltzer water.

• Like 1

I absolutely hate diet sodas.

They always leave a bad aftertaste in my mouth.

On the other hand, I rarely drink sodas anyway...

• Like 5

Club soda, Perrier, or Sparkling Ozarka orange or lemon.

Other diet carbonated drinks taste like the can.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2017 at 8:40 PM, haldir said:

"Diet" Water is what I like ::):

Mid-August 2016 I swore off all sodas. Still going strong!

Good for you!

I quit drinking soda around 2005 or2006. I tried switching from regular to diet, but they all tasted like garbage to me, so I dropped it altogether.

If I have soda now, it's generally as a mixer for booze.

• Like 7

On 10/12/2017 at 3:23 PM, Auberon said:

As someone who has worked in the food industry I'll expand upon that a bit.  In the industry HFCS is sold as HFCS 42 and HFCS 55.  The numbers are the percent fructose in the syrup and both are sold to bottlers.  IIRC Pepsi and Coke both use 55, but others do use 42.  The advantage of 55 is that it is sweeter than sucrose so you can use less of it to get the same "sweetness" in your beverage.

And as Doug says, sucrose is hydrolyzed by acid into glucose and fructose.  If you just eat "sugar" your stomach acid will take care of this, but when you drink soda it's already been done for you.  For example, whether you have "real sugar" coke or HFCS55 coke, you get basically the same sugars.  The phosphoric acid will break the sucrose into glucose and fructose in the "real coke" while in the HFCS coke the sugars are already apart and the phosphoric acid just helps keep the flavor profile similar.  Either way your beverage is actually carbonated water, glucose, fructose, caramel color, phosphoric acid, and flavors.

I am actually ok as long as the fructose is with an equal amount of glucose, and I don't have too much (less than1 cup).  I can eat oranges, strawberries and blueberries for instance, but not apples and pears.

4 pages in and I'm surprised no one has mentioned my favorite diet soda.

The one...

The only...

The true and original...

The first diet cola...

The one that started it all...

Tab!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, etherial said:

Tab!

Tab spelled backwards is Bat.  From this and the one time I tried it I am forced to conclude that Tab is bat squeezings.  But I guess that just means more for you!  passes @etherial all the Tab on hand

• Like 7