rfusca

77047 Goldar - WIP

10 posts in this topic

Started Goldar last night.  Using him as a excuse to practice a few things.  He's the first model I sat down and removed as many mold lines as possible.  He'll mainly be used to practice muscles and skin tone shading.  Also, I'm going to try NMM on his weapon and shoulder armor.  Because of that, I opted to do his whole boots as leather even though they probably should be armor - they will end up two different tones of leather though.  I didn't want to try them NMM yet and it would look weird doing them metallic and the rest NMM.   Any tips for NMM or the skin tones on him would be welcome.  I'm using the tanned skin triad.  Just the basecoat done so far.

goldar_wip1.jpg

Edited by rfusca
11 people like this

The biggest pieces of advice on NMM I can ever offer are:  1) Place your highest highlights next to your darkest shadows, and 2) Use as much contrast as you can!

He's looking great so far!  ::):

3 people like this

9 hours ago, Kuro Cleanbrush said:

The biggest pieces of advice on NMM I can ever offer are:  1) Place your highest highlights next to your darkest shadows, and 2) Use as much contrast as you can!

He's looking great so far!  ::):

Any suggestions of specific reaper colors for NMM steel? 

2 people like this

Skin wash down, now to work up through the layers. 

IMG_20171012_204146767.jpg

IMG_20171012_204201833.jpg

7 people like this

4 hours ago, rfusca said:

Any suggestions of specific reaper colors for NMM steel? 

I get a lot of mileage out of Black Green, Stone Gray, and your choice of Linen or Ghost White.  ::):

2 people like this

Looking good so far!  I think you're really taking to the hobby!  I look forward to seeing more

Ug. Layering up went terrible. I tried to glaze it with new acrylic matte medium and it came out super cloudy and it's just a complete CF now. Going to strip and restart.  Not sure why the medium did that, I shook the hell out of it. Should it be clear or milky when it comes out? 

1 hour ago, Kuro Cleanbrush said:

I get a lot of mileage out of Black Green, Stone Gray, and your choice of Linen or Ghost White.  ::):

Awesome thanks for the tips. 

Stupid me bought the wrong thing. I thought it was just acrylic medium that would be appropriate for glazing, it wasn't. Oh well. Lesson learned. 

Very cool!

8 hours ago, rfusca said:

Stupid me bought the wrong thing. I thought it was just acrylic medium that would be appropriate for glazing, it wasn't. Oh well. Lesson learned. 

Check around YouTube and the internet because you make some useful things with the acrylic medium (i.e. lahmian medium, washes,etc). 

I would definitely check out Luke APS on YouTube.